Mesh Jacket + Winter = Cold

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
So, It was such a sunny day here in the suburbs of Philadelphia...so, I had to get out!

SO, i layered up. (as shown below)
View attachment 46741

Then i went out to ride!
View attachment 46742

And [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIyoIdVU9jA"]this was when i got back.[/ame]

weather.com said it felt like 22 degrees while I was riding...

Side note....I showed this video to my wife, she wasn't happy that I said she didn't let me have another jacket....so i told her I'd clarify....it was our decision that I just buy one and when we saved up some more we would by another.

She also wanted me to point out that she let me buy the bike...even though i already had one. So, in reality she is the reason i have my FZ to begin with! She is the best!

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL welcome to winter riding man!

This is how I keep relatively comfortable when the weather is hovering around or well below freezing (Which is every day I ride to work nowadays):

t-shirt
underarmor thermal
long sleeve sweatshirt with high collar
Tourmaster leather jacket (not perforated) with liner
full face balaclava (tucked into collar of sweatshirt)
Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet
Firstgear heated gloves
Moose Racing heated grips
jeans
Scorpion deuce pants with windproof/waterproof liner (the windproofness is KEY as you learned)
regular long socks
knee high Alpinestars winter socks
My usual Icon Field Armor boots (I wear these year round).

That is what it takes just not to freeze your ass off. To be comfortable on a long ride, add heated jacket liner and another layer of pants.

In my opinion, the balaclava and heated gloves are the most effective at keeping you warm. You can have the thickest unheated winter gloves in the world but after 30-60 minutes your hands WILL be numb no matter what.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are near the Cycle Gear up there, you might want to check out their line of thermals called Freeze Out. I got them not to long ago when I geared up the kids and the fiance. I do have a heavier jacket for winter, but with the thermals and heated gloves I can ride for hours in 35+deg weather.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You could eliminate half your clothing if you have heated gear. When Boise was experiencing the temperture inversions for two weeks, the lows got down to zero degrees every morning, and it only took about one full minute to put on all my gear.

10 seconds to put on my Air Mesh Kevlar Pants currently includes winter waterproof liner.

30 seconds to put on both riding boots.

5 seconds to put on heated jacket

5 seconds to put on fleece over my heated jacket

10 seconds to put on my Jacket

Another 20 seconds or so for my head gear and gloves and I'm out the door.

Off topic, interesting seat cowl. Is that an OEM?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're looking for a cheap solution, the best way to go would be to get rain gear (Bilt stuff at cycle gear is dirt-cheap and is quite good).
Rain gear is a must, anyway and wearing raingear over your mesh jacket will completely block out the wind.

Remember that windchill is only applicable if the wind can get through. So "feels like" factor goes away if you stop the wind from getting to your body.

Hands.. yeah, that's the first thing to go for me too, which is why I got heated gloves. Even really good non-heated winter gloves will only do so much, if it's 32 degrees out. One other option is hand guards (to block the wind), but heated gloves are better, in my opinion.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are near the Cycle Gear up there, you might want to check out their line of thermals called Freeze Out.

I will have to look into this. I didn't even know Cycle Gear was near here. It is in Delaware county. Not too far from where I'm at. 30-40. Thanks!

Remember that windchill is only applicable if the wind can get through. So "feels like" factor goes away if you stop the wind from getting to your body.

Yes, agreed 100%...i had, stupidly, left my rain gear at work so I had to make do with just my windbreaker that I had in the closet...

Off topic, interesting seat cowl. Is that an OEM?

It is a TCP seat cowl. The previous owner told me he had order it from Europe. I did some searching on it and found a guy who got it at rideaddict.com. Not sure if they are still available.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will have to look into this. I didn't even know Cycle Gear was near here. It is in Delaware county. Not too far from where I'm at. 30-40. Thanks!

Yes, agreed 100%...i had, stupidly, left my rain gear at work so I had to make do with just my windbreaker that I had in the closet...

It is a TCP seat cowl. The previous owner told me he had order it from Europe. I did some searching on it and found a guy who got it at rideaddict.com. Not sure if they are still available.

I didn't either until I started looking for gear for the kids:D

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad I don't have to deal with very cold weather in Texas.:cheer: My Olympia AirGlide is good in Texas year round.:rockon:

Is snowmobile gear good for motorcycle ridding?:confused:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Reminder: Cycle Gear gives up to 15% off (depends on brands) to MSF graduates! :thumbup:

Not endorsing Cycle Gear.. just saying don't forget about the discount should you actually shop there :D

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Reminder: Cycle Gear gives up to 15% off (depends on brands) to MSF graduates! :thumbup:

Not endorsing Cycle Gear.. just saying don't forget about the discount should you actually shop there :D

And it's a one time purchase discount. Atleast that's how it was at my local cycle gear. So buy as much as you can at once.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

By the way they reduced the Rider Coaches discount from 30% to 15%. Kind of sucks, it was nice getting those Go Pro's 30% off.

jecon462

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar experience today. I looked outside and saw the sun was out a bit here in North NJ and thought it was a good time to get my new to me FZ out for a short ride. The sun was out but the temp was only 40. I did not dress properly and made it about 20 minutes before I turned around and headed home. Time to set up some heated gear!

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
You seem to like Icon gear, check out their PDX Rain Jacket and or pants you already have the PDX gloves. That over a NON waterproof/windproof WITHOUT the liner and I'm great down to the low 30's any lower and the liner goes back in the main jacket. I've wasted tons of cash on expensive 4 season gear to realize I should have been getting good quality 3 season gear and wear a wind/waterproof jacket/pant liner over my riding jacket and pants. I don't trust anything to STAY completely waterproof for it's life. But I live in Seattle and don't have a car. On a side note after 1 year of Seattle rain and 10k miles it started to leak in HEAVY rain, I mean monsoons. I still use it but on the day's its going to storm cats on dogs I switch to my Frogg Toggs and wow that cheap rain gear keeps me toasty warm, too warm in fact. So that's my two cents, if you want to stay warm forget tons of layers that you sweat through before your even sitting on your bike get good wind/rain proof gear and stay safe :)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Horny-Jacket-MEDIUM/dp/B006D99Y3Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1361752674&sr=8-7&keywords=frogg+toggs+motorcycle+rain+gear]Frogg Toggs Horny Toadz Rain Jacket (MEDIUM) (HI VIZ) : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Rain-Jacket-X-LARGE-BLACK/dp/B001ERS0OG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1361752695&sr=1-1&keywords=icon+pdx]Icon PDX Rain Jacket (X-LARGE) (BLACK) : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

TKo1

Reaction score
Visit site
As Erci said, cutting out the wind helps tremendously. The last couple of seasons, I took my bike out in 50's weather and was freezing with a leather jacket, thermals and a bunch of layers after 15 minutes. This season, I got the bright idea to use some windbreakers and ride down to 30's without issue.

On a side note, did you buy your bike from a guy in NJ??

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess this is the same situation like when telling somebody not to touch it since is scorching hot and yet they still do.

A little bit of common sense amigo would go a long way lol.

Erici is right put on the rain jacket on top of your mesh jacket and it will eliminate the wind getting to your body. Keep in mind you still will be cold.

Here's how I dress for winter riding.

Silk ninja thermal suit that my brother got me from the army store. On top of that goes the pants and a top from UnderArmour collection designed to keep in the body heat.

Then i put on my windproof and rain proof liner in my Rev it Goretex jacket and I am good.

Same with pants.
I got some waterproof winter gloves from Revit that are kind of okay for city riding in the winter.

I don't have winter specific moto boots, only my race boots so it gets chilly after about an hour of riding in the city.

I wouldn't dare to wear any of this on the freeway doing more than 60mph for extended periods of time.

Please dress appropriately to avoid having an accident in case you can't feel your hands or feet. it's a serious responsibility as a rider not to endanger other people on the road or people on sidewalks etc.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site

I do like ICON gear and I've looked at some of that PDX gear and it looks great. Just need to save some money first.

On a side note, did you buy your bike from a guy in NJ??

Yes I did. Back in December.

I guess this is the same situation like when telling somebody not to touch it since is scorching hot and yet they still do.

A little bit of common sense amigo would go a long way lol.

Please dress appropriately to avoid having an accident in case you can't feel your hands or feet. it's a serious responsibility as a rider not to endanger other people on the road or people on sidewalks etc.

In the pictures is my wind proof rain proof Jacket. I just put it on top of my Underarmour heat gear, and then put my jacket on top of it.

For my legs I also had Underarmour heat gear. Then, put my rain pants on over them, then my jeans.

And, for the record my comments were exaggerated in that it was cold, but i could still feel my hands. At no time was I endangering others or myself.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad I don't have to deal with very cold weather in Texas.:cheer: My Olympia AirGlide is good in Texas year round.:rockon:

Is snowmobile gear good for motorcycle ridding?:confused:

I wear my FXR snowmobile gear, including a Jacket and bibs (snowpants that come all the way up to your chest) when we're below 10C. If it can keep me warm at -30C (-22F) doing 140km/hr with snow dust blowing back at me from the sled in front, it's more than enough to keep me warm above freezing on the street.

My FXR gear is made of a material similar to my A-star textile jacket, and if I wore proper under the gear armor, it would provide protection for that as well.
I have snocross (designed for a sport like motocross, except snowmobiles) gloves also from FXR that are warm enough but allow me good dexterity for controls.
Snowmobile specific gloves tend to be thinner in the palms for good grip on the bars, and nearly every single sled these days has heated grips from factory.

If it's between 10 and 20, I'll wear my leather Joe Rocket jacket and jeans with thermal compression under armor under the jeans and I'm fine.