misterious lowside in fz6

chnordiste

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the second time it happens this year.

After two laps of great fun racing against a 750cc gsxr, I loose the rear (at 3mn in the video).

Hopefully, there was only esthetical damage, I even could do one more series after removing all gravel from the bike.

Gl1RgxNl.jpg

My first guess is a bad position on the bike (too much weight on the handlebar), because I wasn't accelerate that much.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjXYD0KJ4Ag]Circuit carole lowside 7 avril[/ame]

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely could have been worse, but also could have been avoided, in my opinion. It looks like you were braking very late into the turns, which is fine, as long as you trail brake properly. This off looks a lot to me like you were braking a little too late into the turn and as a result, there was a tad too much weight on the front of the suspension which lightened the rear enough to break the friction from the rear tire.

That said, I'm definitely glad you're alright and the bike doesn't look too bad.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK! Could be many reason why the rear gave out.
- You were way on the outside. Is it possible that no one has ridden that line and there was oil / rubber on that part of the track?
- If your rear shock is stock, there's a very good chance it couldn't cope with demands of track speeds. The more time rear tire is not touching the tarmac, the higher the chance of losing traction.
- What kind of condition was your rear tire in? Old? Dry?
- Were you using rear brake at all?
OR
- you just spun the rear wheel up way too much and never stopped rolling on.. allowing the rear to step out too much (better than abruptly closing the throttle!)

I don't think it had anything to do with handlebar pressure. Locking up the bar would cause a front wheel lowside in this case.

Then again.. I only have about 10 track days under my belt, so what do I know? :spank:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not track expert but when I turn the sound up it's clear you had steady throttle and it does not appear you were braking much if at all at the point of loosing traction. Either the lean angle was just a bit too much or a small bump or surface imperfection hit you right that the point of maximum lean, even scraping the peg with a decent amount of body weight on the inside peg would have been enough to cause this.

Glad you are ok! :thumbup: