mod or different bike?

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
dont get me wrong, i love this bike. it's great all around. it's rare and unique. great looks and power. it's been treating me really well as my first street bike so far.

however, im an enthusiast when it comes to motorsports. cars, bikes (street and off-road), jet ski's, you name it...so when the right time and opportunity come along, i may decide to change it up a bit for my own personnel satisfaction. whether that be that i can mod or just trying something totally different.

so im having thoughts about going for a PC, K&N, and possible tune for the bike by around the springtime. and maybe a bellypan.

OR, possibly, (putting on the flame suit), a suzuki gsx-r600.

yes yes, and i understand the common conceptual approach of "well how much power do you need?" but for me, it's not about making the most power or what top speed i can get, rather, just knowing that i have some extra potential. and i also admire a good amount of acceleration.

thanks.

Last edited:

Slow

SQUID
Reaction score
Visit site
dont get me wrong, i love this bike. it's great all around. it's rare and unique. great looks and power. it's been treating me really well as my first street bike so far.

however, im an enthusiast when it comes to motorsports. cars, bikes (street and off-road), jet ski's, you name it...so when the right time and opportunity come along, i may decide to change it up a bit for my own personnel . whether that be that i can mod or just trying something totally different.

so im having thoughts about going for a PC, K&N, and possible tune for the bike by around the springtime. and maybe a bellypan.

OR, possibly, (putting on the flame suit), a suzuki gsx-r600.

yes yes, and i understand the common conceptual approach of "well how much power do you need?" but for me, it's not about making the most power or what top speed i can get, rather, just knowing that i have some extra potential. and i also admire a good amount of acceleration.

thanks.

the gsxr600 isn't as comfortable as the FZ for long rides. that being said, if you dont care and want to go faster (significantly) it would probably be smarter to just get the gsxr600

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
^ my feelings exactly. it's the comfort that i would be sacrificing but gain in power. i want to make sure i make the right move here.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you thought about an FZ1 or Honda VFR Interceptor 800? These bikes would give you the power, without sacrificing the comfort.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm. im probably not ready for the big boy bikes yet like above 750cc. i would rather keep it something lightweight and maneuverable.

but can anyone chime in if there is a good amount of gain from the PC.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've not ridden one but from what I've read the CBR600 has great ergos for a 600 super sport. The new '09s look great too.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hellgate gained a good bit with his PC3 and a proper tune. he also had a set of pipes on it and the K&N Filter.

There is plenty to do to make the FZ a bit more of a performance machine, but the GSXR comes as a performance machine, with the sacrifice of comfort. if it were me and you had the financial means for the GSXR then i would stick with the FZ at the lower price point and use the difference to get me some pther bits for it.

They sell a fuill fairing kit up in Canada for the FZ that makes it look more like a sport bike, as well as the obviouse exhaust, K&N, PC#, opening the airbox, R6 forks/clipons, ect that can make this bike everything that you seem to be looking for.

luckyirishboy209

custom fz6 foot peg maker
Reaction score
Visit site
i just rosde my friends new 2009 zx6 hade that bike is bad @$$ way better then my 2007 zx6, real comfy, real good power, handling you name it. if your not too tall the cbr600 is real comfy and fast as hell to lots of torque, i rode my friends 07 cbr600 and its too small for me but i am around 6 foot. but if you wanted more power then a 600cc then i would look at the gsxr750, or the cbr1000cc or even save some money and get a fz1,

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hellgate gained a good bit with his PC3 and a proper tune. he also had a set of pipes on it and the K&N Filter.

There is plenty to do to make the FZ a bit more of a performance machine, but the GSXR comes as a performance machine, with the sacrifice of comfort. if it were me and you had the financial means for the GSXR then i would stick with the FZ at the lower price point and use the difference to get me some pther bits for it.

They sell a fuill fairing kit up in Canada for the FZ that makes it look more like a sport bike, as well as the obviouse exhaust, K&N, PC#, opening the airbox, R6 forks/clipons, ect that can make this bike everything that you seem to be looking for.

good point!

yeah i really love the comfort of riding the fz over a sport. i've ridden a sport before and it could get annoying from what im used to. so the ability to open up the power of my fz to equalize the gsxr600 would be something i would look more forward to.

btw, i actually do have a set of two bros on.

luckyirishboy209

custom fz6 foot peg maker
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm. im probably not ready for the big boy bikes yet like above 750cc. i would rather keep it something lightweight and maneuverable.

but can anyone chime in if there is a good amount of gain from the PC.

i am going down to leo vince's shop and going to have them dyno tune my bike with my leo's and a pclll since they are only 45min from my house. i will let you know once i get this done and tell you if i can tell a diff.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with power is that you will get used to the power gain anyway. I'm pretty certain that after you do some mod's to the fz6 you will buy another bike. Power is an addiction my friend. :)

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you feel you need more power just go for a 600 sportbike. Just be warned, if all you want is to go fast and accelerate in a straight line, you might as well get a 1k, because the 600 sport bikes are not that much faster than the fz. I went riding last night with an R6 and a GSXR-600 and i never lagged behind. In the turns i was faster:D

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
If you feel you need more power just go for a 600 sportbike. Just be warned, if all you want is to go fast and accelerate in a straight line, you might as well get a 1k, because the 600 sport bikes are not that much faster than the fz. I went riding last night with an R6 and a GSXR-600 and i never lagged behind. In the turns i was faster:D

im not looking to outperform in the straight line as mentioned in my OP. i would like a bit more acceleration tho.

yeah is the turning easier on our fz than the sport bikes?

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
so would the power be around the same level as a 600cc sport bike? just the sport is more "track ready"

I have ridden my FZ6 on 5 track days and the only thing i have done to it is add Scorpion exhaust. Dont think this bike cant handle the track. There are a few of us around here that ride ours on the track and do quite well at it.