More Power

I gotta tell you guys, the little FZ has plenty of power for two up touring. While the smaller counter shaft sprocket is great for the drag strip, it sucks for touring. Most of my back country riding is done at 75 to 95 mph. I wish 6th was a higher gear, and that is two up with full gear and saddlebags. If I need to go faster I simply tap it down twice and pin it. If you go with a small gear at 85 you spin the crap out of the engine. On a race track that's not a big deal, in the real world its a pain.

:Sport:

Alright. So basically I should just change the sprockets n chain etc. ok

Like I said before I have my wife that loves riding on it with me and she loves the bike as well. Soooo Unless I win the lotto and give her the FZ n get myself a R1 or R6 im kinda stuck doing little mods for now.

May 3rd I am going up the Lapeer,Mi to a Dragstrip to see what this fz will run.
I have honestly never taken a bike to the track so does anyone have any tips on taking off at the light? Dont wanna stall it or get the front end up in the air. Basically I dont know how tacky the ground is gonna be towards the bike.

Killernoodle is the resident FZ6 dragster...but to get you started, you're going to need a lot of revs, a lot of clutch, and as much weight forward as possible. If done properly, wheelies will be more of an issue than traction.

Once you get bored launching it down the straight, you should check out Gratten Raceway or Gingerman Raceway, both in MI....if you want to pass your buddies on the R1, this will be your best shot.

ok. So whats the best thing to do? lol Rev it up n blip the clutch at 2500-3000rpm to take off?

Killernoodle is the resident FZ6 dragster...but to get you started, you're going to need a lot of revs, a lot of clutch, and as much weight forward as possible. If done properly, wheelies will be more of an issue than traction.

Once you get bored launching it down the straight, you should check out Gratten Raceway or Gingerman Raceway, both in MI....if you want to pass your buddies on the R1, this will be your best shot.

May 3rd I am going up the Lapeer,Mi to a Dragstrip to see what this fz will run.

i actually was planning to go to milan dragway in michigan,,,their test-n-tune is on wednesdays between 4pm to 9pm....i didnt hear too much about lapeer drag strip but they are pretty much same distance to me...if you want to come together and drag,let me know....

ok. So whats the best thing to do? lol Rev it up n blip the clutch at 2500-3000rpm to take off?

Way too low. Hold it about 8,000 rpm and slip the crap out of your clutch. As you slip the clutch gently add more throttle. Our front wheel should just skim the track.

its pretty much accepted that a 600cc bike is going to be faster in the twisties as it is lighter. if you are wanting to beat a liter bike on a straight, get a liter bike for that, but with accepted speed limits at most being 70mph, i dont see that it is very wise to get something that powerful. get a hyabasu if you want sheer all out 200mph power if thats what you want. if you want comfort, touring ability without killing your back , wrist, and neck stay with the fz6. a lot tracks are limiting liter bikes and requiring bikes with less cc's for racing and its got a lot to do with overpower, and weight issues.

7 to 9K is what I've heard most. watch any 600cc sprint race (search on youtube etc.) and you'll notice they all launch with the revs real high.

a lot tracks are limiting liter bikes and requiring bikes with less cc's for racing and its got a lot to do with overpower, and weight issues.

please tell more...this is news to me

Way too low. Hold it about 8,000 rpm and slip the crap out of your clutch. As you slip the clutch gently add more throttle. Our front wheel should just skim the track.

Just skim the track? Meaning just barely leave the ground?

I just went for a quick ride and I couldnt even get the front end off the ground rolling in 1st gear at 6000 so im guessing the only way to wheelie is to drop the clutch.

Just skim the track? Meaning just barely leave the ground?

I just went for a quick ride and I couldnt even get the front end off the ground rolling in 1st gear at 6000 so im guessing the only way to wheelie is to drop the clutch.

Naw...with a good feather of the clutch it will come up on a fast start. It will also come up with a quick off-on at about 6000 in 1st. Power shifts from 1 to 2 it will get very light.

when you get it just right the front wheel will be about 2 to 3 inches off the ground for a bit.

I pop it up in first all the time. Cant figure out how to do a clutch wheelie in second yet though. Here is a good thread talking about wheelies

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/2595-first-proper-proper-wheelie-8.html#post40452

alright. sadly lol I have never even tryed to wheelie on any of my bikes and being this is a new bike im just over the break in period so It could be a small reason why. I can open the throttle in first and I can feel the front end lift up but not off the ground just yet. Kinda gotta get the feel of where it will lift up from if ya know what I mean. I dont wanna get it up too much the first time. I read and know you should always start out small at first anyways.

Ive done the off / on quickly but didnt wanna over throttle it. How much throttle do you give? I know once you get up you can let off a bit and ride it for a longer wheelie etc.

Last edited:
The clutch is your friend man. The wet clutch on these bikes doesn't mind being slipped, your not going to burn it out. Don't worry about wheeling it yet, practice your launches first. Get the feel for the bike. You've only had it long enough to break it in. Your still on the second date with it man. You've got a ways before the deal is done. This bike WILL out ride you.

I ride with liter bikes and bigger. They do get me in the straights every time, but in the twisties I get them. We go riding in the real tight stuff where we may never see more than 50 mph. One of the guys I ride with has a ZX 14 with 180 hp on tap (dynoed) and I outrun him all the time because he just came off a cruiser.

Attend a few track days, and learn from them. Then practice what you learned. You will get a lot faster doing this than by modding. The fastest guys I ride with in the curves are on 450 motards, glorified dirt bikes, that run away from us until we real them in on the straights.

Ya, I know. lol
So your saying its just getting its power? lol
and basically im trying to find out how to wheelie is so I know what not to do so I dont accidently go to practice my launches and jump the front end.

The clutch is your friend man. The wet clutch on these bikes doesn't mind being slipped, your not going to burn it out. Don't worry about wheeling it yet, practice your launches first. Get the feel for the bike. You've only had it long enough to break it in. Your still on the second date with it man. You've got a ways before the deal is done. This bike WILL out ride you.

I ride with liter bikes and bigger. They do get me in the straights every time, but in the twisties I get them. We go riding in the real tight stuff where we may never see more than 50 mph. One of the guys I ride with has a ZX 14 with 180 hp on tap (dynoed) and I outrun him all the time because he just came off a cruiser.

Attend a few track days, and learn from them. Then practice what you learned. You will get a lot faster doing this than by modding. The fastest guys I ride with in the curves are on 450 motards, glorified dirt bikes, that run away from us until we real them in on the straights.

Bingo.

Here is a video of me pulling off my quickest 1/8th run on my FZ6.
7.201@98
As you can probably hear, I keep the revs way up at launch and slip the crap out of the clutch the first 60ft or so. This is the most important section of the track, the 60ft time is the true decider of drag racers. I've managed to get my 60ft times deep into the 1.7s, generally around 1.74 ish. The -1+2 gearing helps quite a bit. My best runs were launched at 9-10k, any more gas than I gave it in the vid and I do a 1000 ft wheelie :) (hell, if I already ****ed up my run by doing a wheelie, might as well show off and hold it all the way down the track :Sport:)

Well i dont know if im gonna be racing my bike at this Lapeer Dragway because all I hear of the place is bad things. Its all dirt except for the strip and they take the timing lights down every night so I hear that they are always off on the timing. Might just go to watch I guess.

Went up the bike night tonight in my area. One of my buddys was up there with his gsxr and we lowered my bike about 2inches so it looks pretty fkn sweet now. Not as low as the R6 still but hey its good enough for me.

Well i dont know if im gonna be racing my bike at this Lapeer Dragway because all I hear of the place is bad things. Its all dirt except for the strip and they take the timing lights down every night so I hear that they are always off on the timing. Might just go to watch I guess.

Went up the bike night tonight in my area. One of my buddys was up there with his gsxr and we lowered my bike about 2inches so it looks pretty fkn sweet now. Not as low as the R6 still but hey its good enough for me.

i just came back from Milan Dragway,,there wasnt even one 600cc bike to drag,,only busa's and extended swingarm 1000RR's...if there was only one 600cc,i was going to try the FZ too...it is a very nice drag strip though,,,on 26th of july there will be a streewarriorz event which ive been before,its fun..you might want to be there ....i looked at the Lapeer dragway's website,pretty amateurish...i dont know about the track but ,,the only good thing is their test and tune days are on weekends,,,it might attract more regular bike riders...on Milan Dragway its wednesdays between 4 to 9 pm...i work till 5 and the strip is 1 hour away from me,,,the 2 hours i stayed there same bikes only raced 3 times...i dont know if its worth it...

Back