My heart gets broken a thousand times

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
my bike has been down for the past 2 weeks because of a puncture to the back tire. Unfortunately I have to wait until I have some £££ in my wallet to have it fixed.

from my vantage point at work, overlooking the road my heart get broken to pieces every time i see a bike go past. I am gutted.

2695926564_c91242db57.jpg

ehh? Any garage shouldn't charge more than £10 to fix it. It only takes 5 mins to plug it, and put air in it. I've even been to garages before that have done it for free, I guess hoping I would come back there next time the tyre needs replacing.

A. That's not a bad view. I'd prefer mountains, but that works. At least you have some distractions. :thumbup:

B. I'll probably be blasted for this, but have you considered plugging it? Is the puncture in a place that can be plugged? Plug kits cost $5-10 USD... so that's what? 5 GBP?

I found a wood screw in my rear rubber 2 days after buying the bike. I plugged it and have now put over 3000 miles on it trouble free.

:scared:

A. That's not a bad view. I'd prefer mountains, but that works. At least you have some distractions. :thumbup:

B. I'll probably be blasted for this, but have you considered plugging it? Is the puncture in a place that can be plugged? Plug kits cost $5-10 USD... so that's what? 5 GBP?

I found a wood screw in my rear rubber 2 days after buying the bike. I plugged it and have now put over 3000 miles on it trouble free.

:scared:

Ditto, I've had 3 punctures in the past year and plugged them all, there is no way I could have afforded 3 new tyres. I also carry under my seat a set of plugs, glue, the insertion tool and compressed air so I can do it at the roadside if it's a fast puncture and I can't get to my local garage.

tyre-repair-kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto, I've had 3 punctures in the past year and plugged them all, there is no way I could have afforded 3 new tyres. I also carry under my seat a set of plugs, glue, the insertion tool and compressed air so I can do it at the roadside if it's a fast puncture and I can't get to my local garage.

+1 on carrying the accoutrements.

I've been thinking about this from Aerostich. It uses engine compression to inflate your tire. This excerpt from the official description sez it all "This premise is vaguely alarming but it's actually quite well thought out."

3570li.jpg

I thot of plugging but since there is a nail in it and the bike is 3 years old I might as well buy a new tire. I got the bike in Feb.

But having said that I think I will get one of them pluggers and keep it under the bike seat. seems pretty useful.

Why are bike tires more expensive than cager tires. I have looked around and seems average price for back tire is £85-90 yet I can get 2 cage tires from that amount?

Why are bike tires more expensive than cager tires. I have looked around and seems average price for back tire is £85-90 yet I can get 2 cage tires from that amount?

I assume it's related to "economies of scale" and "supply and demand" They don't produce near as many bike treads as cage treads. Drives the cost up. I could be wrong, of course.

What are they?

Compressed air, one time use. You just fit it to the tyre valve (after plugging it) and up it goes. It gives you enough air to get to a garage to check the pressure properly.

I have quoted this on the forum before...

Motorcycle tyres have to be repaired within the limits of British Standard BS159F. Unfortunately, this does not allow repairs on tyres with a Z speed rating or above. Most of todays sportsbikes of 600cc upwards are all fitted with Z or W rated tyres, therefore, these cannot be repaired within the British Standards. A temporary repair can be carried out to get you home or to a local garage, but the tyre would have to be replaced, the use of sealants is not recommended by tyre manufacturers and their use voids any warranty on the tyre.

I have quoted this on the forum before...

Actually BS159F is not a legal requirement just a guideline, and in the UK tyres can be legally repaired as long as the puncture is at least 1 inch away from the side wall and no the gash bigger than 6mm.

I hear your pain bledubd, a month or so ago I was travelling to my home town for a vacation, it is a 6 hour drive then 8 hours on a ferry with another 5 hours after that. Build up is explaining how come I had a motorcycle in the back of my pickup and not riding it. I had a new tire put on the bike, 1985 yamaha maxim 750, as soon as I got home and ran into technical difficulties(wouldn't start). So I spent 10 days driving around with the bike in the back of the truck during some awesome weather. Everytime I saw another bike on the road I was green with envy. Within 2 hours of getting back to where I live I had my FZ6 bought. So maybe it was a good thing?

I just paid AUD$50 for a new tyre for my mountain bike, which weighs about 0.01 as much as a car tyre but costs the same amount. Go figure!

Bike tires are NOT more expensive than most Z rated car tires. In fact my new rear tire was exactly the same price as I paid for each of the new tires for my truck earlier in the year. Now mounting the bike tires, thats the rip-off.

I feel ya man my bike has been down for 2 weeks getting painted and put back together. My painter just broke his collar bone before he shot color on it, it's all good though, **** happens...hang in there man!

Back