My key won't turn

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
The last couple times I've ridden, I've noticed a problem. I put the key in the ignition, and I can't turn it. There's normally about 1cm or so of "spring" with the key - when it's all the way in, something inside the keyhole moves with the key. That no longer happens - it's like the "spring" is stuck. I have to put the key in and out a few times and wiggle it before the spring comes back to life and I can unlock the steeting.

Any ideas? Maybe there's rust inside the ignition? Should I spray something in there?

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
The last couple times I've ridden, I've noticed a problem. I put the key in the ignition, and I can't turn it. There's normally about 1cm or so of "spring" with the key - when it's all the way in, something inside the keyhole moves with the key. That no longer happens - it's like the "spring" is stuck. I have to put the key in and out a few times and wiggle it before the spring comes back to life and I can unlock the steeting.

Any ideas? Maybe there's rust inside the ignition? Should I spray something in there?

You could use WD40, graphite powder, sillicone spray or ignition grease.
Any of these should do the trick :)

Grtz,

Degake

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
silicone spray is best, graphite might clog it, and wd40 may attract dirt

on my bike i have to "wiggle" the key from side to side as i turn it

when i took it for it's MOT the mechanic couldn't figure out how to turn it on :D

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah its a common problem & if you can find it there is a product called Lanox it will sort it right out for you :thumbup: There is seriously nothing better on the market :)

20070807141804.jpg

Last edited:

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
I use wd-40 from time to time, and it works perfectly. Just spray some in, while your key is half way in, let it soak for a few hours and the try again

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
KROIL!!!! Its magic i tell you it cures cancer and creates it at the same time!!!! It could litterly break a tick superglued to a beavers a$$ off in. 237592 secs.....and turns rust/corrosion into semiperminate oil pigment

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
the keyhole is like a pan to collect the rain water into the lock. I always cover the bike front with a raincoat to keep rain from coming in. It works and no need for WD 40 since.:noworries:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Not that this helps you in any way, other than knowing you're not the only one - but my ignition and key have been doing that since day 2. I bought my 08 BRAND new, 0 miles....and within a few days my key would jam, I couldn't unlock the bars, or turn to the on position.

What ended up happening is I actually got so angry that I accidentally bent my key, and ever since then - I have had no problem with it. Definitely strange, occasionally I have to give it a jiggle but nothing serious.

Good to know there's a spray application to fix this, thank you much.

But yes, you aren't the only one with this problem - I've just been dealing with it for 3 years now.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not that this helps you in any way, other than knowing you're not the only one - but my ignition and key have been doing that since day 2. I bought my 08 BRAND new, 0 miles....and within a few days my key would jam, I couldn't unlock the bars, or turn to the on position.

What ended up happening is I actually got so angry that I accidentally bent my key, and ever since then - I have had no problem with it. Definitely strange, occasionally I have to give it a jiggle but nothing serious.

Good to know there's a spray application to fix this, thank you much.

But yes, you aren't the only one with this problem - I've just been dealing with it for 3 years now.

Just curious, is the bike garaged or see alot of bad weather?

My 07, I bought used from my friend (he bought it new) has never had the ignition key stick. I have, once or twice sprayed just a little of WD 40 or liquid wrench down there (I wasn't having a problem, just preventive maintainance). 9K miles on the clock right now but its always garaged..

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on graphite powder spray, I use it on all my locks. My FZ6 ignition does the same thing, but usually I just push down and wiggle it and it works.

Silicone spray as others said is good too. I've used it on house locks that stick together.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a product called Jigaloo (not a typo). It worked great to fix the very same problem.

Is Jigaloo a multi-purpose er...lube(?) that somebody stumbled across and found it's good for unjamming keylocks? or is was it designed to do such? :BLAA:

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Is Jigaloo a multi-purpose er...lube(?) that somebody stumbled across and found it's good for unjamming keylocks? or is was it designed to do such? :BLAA:

"It's a dry silicone-based lubricant that, unlike any other lubricant, contains no oil, grease, wax, petroleum distillates or detergent, so it doesn't stain or stink. It stops squeaks, un-sticks just about anything, protects against rust, and is an exceptional water repellent." Quoted straight from their ad.

Stickiness due to water was the problem with my ignition switch so I tried this stuff and it worked. Seems to work good on switches,too. FWIW.