My key won't turn

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
The last couple times I've ridden, I've noticed a problem. I put the key in the ignition, and I can't turn it. There's normally about 1cm or so of "spring" with the key - when it's all the way in, something inside the keyhole moves with the key. That no longer happens - it's like the "spring" is stuck. I have to put the key in and out a few times and wiggle it before the spring comes back to life and I can unlock the steeting.

Any ideas? Maybe there's rust inside the ignition? Should I spray something in there?

The last couple times I've ridden, I've noticed a problem. I put the key in the ignition, and I can't turn it. There's normally about 1cm or so of "spring" with the key - when it's all the way in, something inside the keyhole moves with the key. That no longer happens - it's like the "spring" is stuck. I have to put the key in and out a few times and wiggle it before the spring comes back to life and I can unlock the steeting.

Any ideas? Maybe there's rust inside the ignition? Should I spray something in there?

You could use WD40, graphite powder, sillicone spray or ignition grease.
Any of these should do the trick :)

Grtz,

Degake

silicone spray is best, graphite might clog it, and wd40 may attract dirt

on my bike i have to "wiggle" the key from side to side as i turn it

when i took it for it's MOT the mechanic couldn't figure out how to turn it on :D

Yeah its a common problem & if you can find it there is a product called Lanox it will sort it right out for you :thumbup: There is seriously nothing better on the market :)

20070807141804.jpg

Last edited:
I use wd-40 from time to time, and it works perfectly. Just spray some in, while your key is half way in, let it soak for a few hours and the try again

KROIL!!!! Its magic i tell you it cures cancer and creates it at the same time!!!! It could litterly break a tick superglued to a beavers a$$ off in. 237592 secs.....and turns rust/corrosion into semiperminate oil pigment

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

the keyhole is like a pan to collect the rain water into the lock. I always cover the bike front with a raincoat to keep rain from coming in. It works and no need for WD 40 since.:noworries:

Not that this helps you in any way, other than knowing you're not the only one - but my ignition and key have been doing that since day 2. I bought my 08 BRAND new, 0 miles....and within a few days my key would jam, I couldn't unlock the bars, or turn to the on position.

What ended up happening is I actually got so angry that I accidentally bent my key, and ever since then - I have had no problem with it. Definitely strange, occasionally I have to give it a jiggle but nothing serious.

Good to know there's a spray application to fix this, thank you much.

But yes, you aren't the only one with this problem - I've just been dealing with it for 3 years now.

Not that this helps you in any way, other than knowing you're not the only one - but my ignition and key have been doing that since day 2. I bought my 08 BRAND new, 0 miles....and within a few days my key would jam, I couldn't unlock the bars, or turn to the on position.

What ended up happening is I actually got so angry that I accidentally bent my key, and ever since then - I have had no problem with it. Definitely strange, occasionally I have to give it a jiggle but nothing serious.

Good to know there's a spray application to fix this, thank you much.

But yes, you aren't the only one with this problem - I've just been dealing with it for 3 years now.

Just curious, is the bike garaged or see alot of bad weather?

My 07, I bought used from my friend (he bought it new) has never had the ignition key stick. I have, once or twice sprayed just a little of WD 40 or liquid wrench down there (I wasn't having a problem, just preventive maintainance). 9K miles on the clock right now but its always garaged..

+1 on graphite powder spray, I use it on all my locks. My FZ6 ignition does the same thing, but usually I just push down and wiggle it and it works.

Silicone spray as others said is good too. I've used it on house locks that stick together.

I used a product called Jigaloo (not a typo). It worked great to fix the very same problem.

Is Jigaloo a multi-purpose er...lube(?) that somebody stumbled across and found it's good for unjamming keylocks? or is was it designed to do such? :BLAA:

Is Jigaloo a multi-purpose er...lube(?) that somebody stumbled across and found it's good for unjamming keylocks? or is was it designed to do such? :BLAA:

"It's a dry silicone-based lubricant that, unlike any other lubricant, contains no oil, grease, wax, petroleum distillates or detergent, so it doesn't stain or stink. It stops squeaks, un-sticks just about anything, protects against rust, and is an exceptional water repellent." Quoted straight from their ad.

Stickiness due to water was the problem with my ignition switch so I tried this stuff and it worked. Seems to work good on switches,too. FWIW.

Back