NEED Photoshop Help

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, im still in the process of prepping parts for paint. I've decided to stick with black although I've here blue was faster..... :)

I would really like to know if someone on here can Photoshop my bike in copper plate?

This is the paint i was thinking of trying.

Dupli-Color :: Flexible Bumper Coating

I think it is unique and would be very different. What do you guys think?

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
its made to work on shiny metal i guess you could do a silver base then spray that on top . id much rather see it with a nice candy custom paintjob Blah

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ran out of patience when I got to the fender, but this should give you an idea

attachment.php

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a year that Suzuki SV1000s was that copper color. The problem with a car bumper or vinyl paint may present is that it may not have as hard a finish you might want for a paint on your bike.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good Job Eric! but what gives, painting in the rain! Blah Rep point Bro! ++

So, what software did you use? tks

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 7 and never mastered that. The earlier ones were much easier. What version??

CS3. I started with 7 and have used 2 other versions since. All the features I normally use have stayed the same (though some menu item locations have moved around)

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's plenty of pictures if you google copper candy or copper pearl paint.

Please don't rattle can your bike. It almost never comes out looking good, and even if it does, the finish just won't last compared to a legit paint job.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
// so I did some reading, some online help and retaught myself how to do color changing in photoshop 7. Easy enough with cars and such. The bike in any color but black is easy enough to select a given component for color swapping but then I was stumped.

What I couldn't do even with the dropper was apply a specific color to the black. So any tips you care to share about how how this is done would be great!

It was fun morphing the cage into Raven Black to match the bike and changing other tidbits but changing black to something else was total fail. lol Black is nog like other colors so you have to DO SOME ACTION, i'm missing that action!

Hats off to Eric for being a coder and tinkering with PhotoShop at this level. Tips please! :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
// so I did some reading, some online help and retaught myself how to do color changing in photoshop 7. Easy enough with cars and such. The bike in any color but black is easy enough to select a given component for color swapping but then I was stumped.

What I couldn't do even with the dropper was apply a specific color to the black. So any tips you care to share about how how this is done would be great!

It was fun morphing the cage into Raven Black to match the bike and changing other tidbits but changing black to something else was total fail. lol Black is nog like other colors so you have to DO SOME ACTION, i'm missing that action!

Hats off to Eric for being a coder and tinkering with PhotoShop at this level. Tips please! :thumbup:

Here's the thing.. when it comes to the particular image in question, there is no magic button. There is simply no way to use a dropper to have it select only the tank/fender/grab rails in this case. The colors are too close and it'll either select too much of the surrounding areas .. or not enough.

So (and this is why I said above that I lose my patience when I got to the fender) you duplicate layer and start by colorizing it (colorize, saturation, hue).. adjust curves, adjust contrast, adjust individual colors. Mind you this is on the whole layer, so everything will be copper. Now the tedious part: Use eraser to delete everything, but the parts you want to stay copper. This will expose the original colors of the layer underneath.

That's how I do it and it's not necessarily the best approach (there are many ways to get same results in PS, for any given task).

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
An easier technique to doing what you want to do is a technique called "masking"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBkaRoLjMIs]Photoshop CC Masking Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

Once the mask is in place, you can easily change the color or texture with the click of a button. I played with this a long time ago on an older computer. Since I upgrade to a new one, never re-installed Photoshop. You guys got me thinking that I need to get back into it.

dp_fz6_27b.jpg

dp_fz6_27d.jpg

dp_080920_06b.jpg

pinkFZ6.jpg

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
An easier technique to doing what you want to do is a technique called "masking"

I don't find masking any easier. In the end, you're still manually selecting all the areas. Whatever technique you use, unless there's very clear contrast between what you want and what you don't want (as in.. selecting black items on white background, for which you can use "extract" with smart highlighting), you will have to carefully trace objects.. be it selector tool or eraser.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That helps. What i couldndt figure is this; black bike img1 cooper car img2. Made a layer from image 2 saved it, thought i could dropper its colors onto select areas, like thr pod for example. But the mask retained none of the properties but this flat orange.

More reading and searching, playing required.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That helps. What i couldndt figure is this; black bike img1 cooper car img2. Made a layer from image 2 saved it, thought i could dropper its colors onto select areas, like thr pod for example. But the mask retained none of the properties but this flat orange.

More reading and searching, playing required.

Neh.. in this case you don't want to *wrap* the bike with another sample. You want the bike to maintain it's curves and shading, but you just need to colorize it. Look for Hue/Saturation Adjust and select "colorize" check box.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Neh.. in this case you don't want to *wrap* the bike with another sample. You want the bike to maintain it's curves and shading, but you just need to colorize it. Look for Hue/Saturation Adjust and select "colorize" check box.

So, tried many things, I can capture the bike, make the back ground BW (monochrome) while retaining its color, but black is not nice. So I stole a picture of a blue bike (bd) and then I can go to town changing colors at will. Black has no color so there in-lies the issue - applying color to black.

PS - the BW background is something I always wanted to figure out and killing the saturation for the whole picture then pasting the object back into picture worked. Although I'm sure there is a way to do that with layers so it lines up perfectly. Although a black bike doesn't pop like other colors would on a monochrome background.

Its entertaining and educational. :thumbup:

B&W background - no pop - doesn't do much for me...
attachment.php

To the blue car - Better = 5 min hack job and missed spots.
attachment.php

Repaint car? Again, another hack job... 4min or less. Just trying to get the concept.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah.. re-colorizing a monochrome image is nearly impossible using my approach. Color pic with bright shiny black can work, but full BnW produces poor results.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work Eric! I am an aspiring Photoshop tinkerer, but I have concentrated on exposure, removing unwanted items, fixing complexions, etc. I am contemplating a paint job and would love to experiment with colors. I use Photoshop Elements though, so I might have to experiment a little to see if the tools you used are part of my package. I have used adjustment layers and played a little with Hue/Saturation. Going to give it a go.