New Chain Links Length?

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Measured 15 links of my chain today, to determine how far gone the chain might be (2007 FZ6 - the faster blue). Got 8.75 inches, rather than the "too long" measurement of 9.42".

Anybody know what the length of 15 links of the stock chain should be, when it's new and has 0 miles? Would sure help me better understand the current state of my chain!
- - - Thanks in advance, Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To measure a chain's stretch the 5 in a 520 or 530 chain stands for 5/8 inch. This is .625 inch which is the pin center to center measurement of each link. There are internal width and roller dimensions as well. These measurements should agree with the sprockets and when the sprockets are worn what ever measurement the chain has, they won't be happy together.

Hope this helps and here's a helpful link! :)
Twin Motorcycle and Tattoo

Last edited:

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Quote: "...the 5 in a 520 or 530 chain stands for 5/8 inch. This is .625 inch which is the pin center to center measurement of each link."

Cliff, I appreciate the insight. But I'm from a small town. If the length of each link is .625", and there are 15 links to measure, then mathematically the minimum length when new is 15 times .625, or 9.375". And according to the service manual, if the measurement for 15 links of the chain exceeds 9.42" it must be replaced.

A. Can the average person even measure the difference between 9.375" and 9.42"??

B. How did I come up with a measurement of 8.75" for those 15 links of *used* #530 chain on my bike? (I counted out the 15 links multiple times, and I made the measurements at least 4 times - although I only measured one area of the chain.)

For what it's worth, I tried to pull the chain off the rear sprocket to see if I could see some air between the chain and sprocket, and I wasn't able to budge the chain away from the rear sprocket whatsoever.
- - - Jim

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Quote: "...the 5 in a 520 or 530 chain stands for 5/8 inch. This is .625 inch which is the pin center to center measurement of each link."

Cliff, I appreciate the insight. But I'm from a small town. If the length of each link is .625", and there are 15 links to measure, then mathematically the minimum length when new is 15 times .625, or 9.375". And according to the service manual, if the measurement for 15 links of the chain exceeds 9.42" it must be replaced.

A. Can the average person even measure the difference between 9.375" and 9.42"??

B. How did I come up with a measurement of 8.75" for those 15 links of *used* #530 chain on my bike? (I counted out the 15 links multiple times, and I made the measurements at least 4 times - although I only measured one area of the chain.)

For what it's worth, I tried to pull the chain off the rear sprocket to see if I could see some air between the chain and sprocket, and I wasn't able to budge the chain away from the rear sprocket whatsoever.
- - - Jim

Jim,
Even in a small town the measurement will be the same so if you got the shorter measurement it's not cuzza da town! LOL!

I'm just going by what that one link called out. Pin center to pin center measurement. 20 links will equal 12.5 inches. That's .625 per link.

I would round 9.42 to the fraction of 9-7/16 inch. So 9-3/8" would be your starting measurement and if it's stretched to 9-7/16" it's time for a new one.

Make sure you burn an inch on your tape measure so you're looking at the line on the 1 inch mark. don't use that tab on your tape or the beginning of a scale. This way to will have a measurement of 10 plus inches instead of 9 plus inches and a better visual. :)

To me, the trick is keeping it taught to do the measurement. :)