New England Meet in VT - Aug 15th, 2009!!!

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question though, I recently purchased a set of BT's 021, but only had the front installed due to cupping. The front has over 500miles on it, and I was contemplating in having the rear installed before I leave for VT. I had 8600miles on the stock tyres, wear band on the rear is starting to show with some squaring off and plenty of rubber on the edge for leaning. Should I wait until after the VT meet or get the new 21's installed on the rear. If I go with the latter part, I'll have about over 230miles to scrub off the new tyres before our ride on Saturday. What you guys and gals think??

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question though, I recently purchased a set of BT's 021, but only had the front installed due to cupping. The front has over 500miles on it, and I was contemplating in having the rear installed before I leave for VT. I had 8600miles on the stock tyres, wear band on the rear is starting to show with some squaring off and plenty of rubber on the edge for leaning. Should I wait until after the VT meet or get the new 21's installed on the rear. If I go with the latter part, I'll have about over 230miles to scrub off the new tyres before our ride on Saturday. What you guys and gals think??

I would put it on and get it scrubbed on the ride up. You'll be happier and more confident about the ride.

RE: cupping front... did you find the cause? How often to you check pressures? Are both forks equal in the triples? One isn't higher than the other, is it? 1 MM can ruin a tire too. Make sure the front is 100% aligned.

Glad you can make the trip! Always great to meet up with members, both old and new! :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am waiting until we get back from the trip to change out the rear on mine. Although i do agree that the new tire will make a world of difference in the feel of the bike and if i had the time i would do mine before too.

BigJoeG

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an experienced rider friend (Dave) who would like to come as well. He is in need of a room for the first night. He lives close enough to just ride home afterwards on Sat.

Any one have an extra bed in their room who would like to split the cost?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know there are a couple of people here with an extra bed. They just haven't been on to post it yet but I'm sure someone will step forward.

Our room is full. Who has space available and willing to take in a rider?

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would put it on and get it scrubbed on the ride up. You'll be happier and more confident about the ride.

RE: cupping front... did you find the cause? How often to you check pressures? Are both forks equal in the triples? One isn't higher than the other, is it? 1 MM can ruin a tire too. Make sure the front is 100% aligned.

Glad you can make the trip! Always great to meet up with members, both old and new! :D

I am guilty of this........No checking my tyre pressure often enough. I've only done this maybe 5 times in the entire 8000+ miles I've owned the bike. From what I read on the internet and what I was told, the cupping is caused by improperly inflated (underinflated) tyres. As far as I can tell, the forks are aligned, without breaking out the calipers for measurement.
My only concern is the break in/scrub time, I hate to go on the twisties if my tire still have some sheen on it. I hope the 230+ mile commute from NJ to VT will be enough. But I will get it replaced before my trip.
Thanks.

Ares

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am guilty of this........No checking my tyre pressure often enough. I've only done this maybe 5 times in the entire 8000+ miles I've owned the bike. From what I read on the internet and what I was told, the cupping is caused by improperly inflated (underinflated) tyres. As far as I can tell, the forks are aligned, without breaking out the calipers for measurement.
My only concern is the break in/scrub time, I hate to go on the twisties if my tire still have some sheen on it. I hope the 230+ mile commute from NJ to VT will be enough. But I will get it replaced before my trip.
Thanks.

Ares

:spank: Ok... now you know, check them often. :thumbup:

Scrubbing in the tire can be done in less than 20 miles on the right road. Slow at first and start leaning the bike over to each side and getting a little more speed on it. Just go really easy on the throttle in the corners... nothing drastic. Stop and check the chicken strips and see how much glaze is left. A big empty parking lot is idea for this. :D

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:spank::spank: Checking the air pressure:spank::spank::spank:
I know this........ straight from MSF, and another :spank::spank::D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i too am guilty of the tire pressure neglect. I have been trying to get better... but alas....

Tires will be properly inflated by Friday :)

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was an accident! :(

I'm giong to try to take my bike out tonight and see how it goes........I so want to be able to join you guys!

If you can make it and you want company just PM me, we're coming from Edison, NJ and will be cutting through NY to VT. Just don't punch us :D