New SAE Motorcycle Sound Test Standard Announced

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
New SAE J2825 standard claimed to allow street riders to determine the sound levels of their motorcycles.

More...

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The SAE J2825 on-highway motorcycle sound test procedure is similar to the one used for the SAE J1287 off-highway motorcycle test. The street bike measurement requires holding a calibrated sound meter at a 45-degree angle 20 inches from the exhaust pipe of a running engine.

The procedure spells out how to do the test with the bike at idle, at a predetermined engine speed ("Set RPM Test"), or by slowly increasing the engine speed of the bike, known as the "Swept RPM Test."

The SAE J2825 standard, prepared by the SAE Motorcycle Technical Steering Committee, recommends a decibel limit of 92 dBA at idle for all machines; or, using the Set RPM or Swept RPM Test, 100 dBA for three- or four-cylinder machines, and 96 dBA for bikes with fewer than three or more than four cylinders.

Hmmm.... Weren't we all bent out of shape about this in a thread not too long ago?

Stock pipes FTW.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
GaH! SAE wants 50 bucks for that darn article. The article is supposed to talk about testing conditions and such. I.E. city areas, rural, ashpalt or dirt parking, flat or hilly ground.

-bryan

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
The run-a-way train is approaching the station... This is only the first step in what will probably be a long and ultimately ugly process.

Essentially what has happened is "The Industry" has suggested a standard that it would like to self police by. BUT, if (when) the feds say 'Nope, we're stepping in.' this standard will be used as a guideline. Doesn't mean those numbers will be the final numbers, but it's probable.

The rub comes in that even with a federal standard in place, states and local communities are under no real obligation to use those exact numbers. They can go numerically lower on the db scale, but no higher. The federal standard would viewed as a maximum db level, not a minimum. However, the chances of that aren't huge, but it can't be discounted.

What actually impresses me are how high the db numbers are. Those aren't what were being discussed to the best of my knowledge, especially by the MIC. I'm guessing that the AMA stepped up to the plate big time and did some heavy persuading. But that's totally speculation on my part.

Get ready folks, could be a bumpy ride ahead...

Bruce

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally a thread on loud exhaust!!!

I think loud exhaust sounds cool!
-Poster A

I think it is noise pollution and should be regullated.
-Poster B

Groups that regulate motorcycle tend to have little actual motorcycle knowledge.
-Poster C

I don't care.
-Poster D

Next they will be taking away our right to drink soda!
-Steve

Damn the man!
-Everyone

all posts after this should be made in underground politics

:ban:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally a thread on loud exhaust!!!

I think loud exhaust sounds cool!
-Poster A

I think it is noise pollution and should be regullated.
-Poster B

Groups that regulate motorcycle tend to have little actual motorcycle knowledge.
-Poster C

I don't care.
-Poster D

Next they will be taking away our right to drink soda!
-Steve

Damn the man!
-Everyone

all posts after this should be made in underground politics

:ban:

Oh where'd your fun go?

-bryan

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
The run-a-way train is approaching the station... This is only the first step in what will probably be a long and ultimately ugly process.

Essentially what has happened is "The Industry" has suggested a standard that it would like to self police by. BUT, if (when) the feds say 'Nope, we're stepping in.' this standard will be used as a guideline. Doesn't mean those numbers will be the final numbers, but it's probable.

The rub comes in that even with a federal standard in place, states and local communities are under no real obligation to use those exact numbers. They can go numerically lower on the db scale, but no higher. The federal standard would viewed as a maximum db level, not a minimum. However, the chances of that aren't huge, but it can't be discounted.

What actually impresses me are how high the db numbers are. Those aren't what were being discussed to the best of my knowledge, especially by the MIC. I'm guessing that the AMA stepped up to the plate big time and did some heavy persuading. But that's totally speculation on my part.

Get ready folks, could be a bumpy ride ahead...

Bruce

yeah those are pretty HIGH levels. I think most aftermarket pipes (at least slip-ons) s hould still safely fall under that catagory. A harley with stright pipes...not so much (~120db IIRC)