New to bikes and the FZ6

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last night I managed to wind it out until about 130 for the first time, now I just wish it wasn't so slow.

Enjoy the holiday, and remember our service members :thumbup:

130MPH is only second gear for the FASTER, SEXIER, blue, the other colors are in 3 and 4th gear, BUT don't tell them!!:D

And Yes, +1 to all our service members!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Last edited:

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
130MPH is only second gear for the FASTER, SEXIER, blue, the other colors are in 3 and 4th gear, BUT don't tell them!!:D

There was no better compliment to that notion this weekend than seeing the Blue Angels do their thing at the Jones Beach air show here. Go fast blue!!!

At first when I noticed how huge the tank is compared to SS bikes is, I was a little on the fence about it (I always liked the shape in comparison though). But after 3 consecutive days of being on the bike for 8+ hours, last night's ride home on the interstate at 2am was so refreshing. My back was feeling a little fatigued so I just laid right on the tank, perfect position and comfortable as long as the road was smooth. Not to mention good aero for the high speed ride home :D

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
At about 2600 miles now, still pushing her hard. I had a little scare on a patch of sand at night, luckily I was in 2nd at about 40% throttle and going straight. Had it been a turn I would've gone down, as it is my rear end stepped out.

Now I have a question regarding cable lubing, I can't find the answer anywhere on the forums!!

I purchased THIS:[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Dri-Slide-4oz-Needle-Nozzle/dp/B001F2Y25G"]Amazon.com : Bike Aid Dri-Slide 4oz. Lube with Needle Nozzle : Bike Oils : Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

There are plenty of write ups on clutch cable lubing (Although I haven't been able to locate the end of the cable on the bike yet). How about the rest? I'd like to lube my throttle because it doesn't retract as fast as I imagine it should. Any tips? Thanks!

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish there was an FZ1 in NYC I could check out, I don't like how mine hit the tank- the steering radius SUCKS.

welcome to the forum and to fz6. apologies for not getting on this thread earlier. if you're still curious, i have an fz6 with the fz1 bar in hoboken, if you want to take a look. i believe there are some other guys with fz1 bars in brooklyn (metallicat comes to mind) so you may want to reach out directly.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site

boo-hoo

i had my even SEXIER, WAY FASTER, SUPER RED (ABSOLUTE FASTEST COLOR) '07 (QUICKEST YEAR!!!) up to 90mph in neutral yesterday!!!

thats right, neutral :rockon:

take THAT, slow motion Bluebird!! Blah

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
boo-hoo

i had my even SEXIER, WAY FASTER, SUPER RED (ABSOLUTE FASTEST COLOR) '07 (QUICKEST YEAR!!!) up to 90mph in neutral yesterday!!!

thats right, neutral :rockon:

take THAT, slow motion Bluebird!! Blah

That was THREE WEEKS AGO, computer broke???

"boo hoo? Blue bird??" Your kidding right? LOL

BTW, what kind of trailer were you towing it on? :Flip:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are plenty of write ups on clutch cable lubing (Although I haven't been able to locate the end of the cable on the bike yet). How about the rest?

I'd like to lube my throttle because it doesn't retract as fast as I imagine it should. Any tips? Thanks!

Re the first question, simply turn the cable adjuster on the right side handle bar inwards. Theres a slot in that adjuster that allows you to pull the cable out, access it and perform maintainance.

Re the throttle. Theres an acceleration pull and deceleration pull cable. Both end at the throttle bodies on the left side. After loosening up the upper cable adjuster (turning inwards), there's 3 phillips head screws holding the assembly together. They are different sizes so pay attention.

The cables can now come out of the bar assembly for service. Clean between the bar and the throttle tube, crap likes to collect in there.. If more adjustment is need on the throttle cables, it can be adjusted down on the left side, (pretty tight but do-able-10mm wrench)

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re the first question, simply turn the cable adjuster on the right side handle bar inwards. Theres a slot in that adjuster that allows you to pull the cable out, access it and perform maintainance.

Re the throttle. Theres an acceleration pull and deceleration pull cable. Both end at the throttle bodies on the left side. After loosening up the upper cable adjuster (turning inwards), there's 3 phillips head screws holding the assembly together. They are different sizes so pay attention.

The cables can now come out of the bar assembly for service. Clean between the bar and the throttle tube, crap likes to collect in there.. If more adjustment is need on the throttle cables, it can be adjusted down on the left side, (pretty tight but do-able-10mm wrench)
I recently installed the fz1 bars and it was the perfect time to lube the cables. There is a member [MENTION=1596]CHEMIKER[/MENTION] who sells preloaded syringes with oil. Very easy to use and much improved cable response.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Three days ago, I partially pulled, still in the bike (the inside plastic, FRAME keeper was removed) the clutch cable to adjust the mid section adjuster out a little (top adjuster was getting out a bit-4 turns).

While it was out, I lubed both ends of the cable. I found the lower, shorter end sheath stuck to the steel inner cable (shouldn't be).

Anyway, after much pressure lube and some synthetic 30w squirted down the sheath, I finally got the sheath to stay and the cable to move inside. I'm very attenative towards the clutch cable but goo tends to build up on the very lowest end. I did disconnect the mid adjuster altogether for shorter access with the luber.

(heck, another easy 3/4" adjustment left. About 13mm between the lock nut and the lower half now)

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway, after much pressure lube and some synthetic 30w squirted down the sheath, I finally got the sheath to stay and the cable to move inside. I'm very attenative towards the clutch cable but goo tends to build up on the very lowest end. I did disconnect the mid adjuster altogether for shorter access with the luber.

(heck, another easy 3/4" adjustment left. About 13mm between the lock nut and the lower half now)

How were you squirting the lube down into the cable, Scott? You using the member-sold syringes or what? I need to do this on my bike too -- either replace the cable outright OR lube it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How were you squirting the lube down into the cable, Scott? You using the member-sold syringes or what? I need to do this on my bike too -- either replace the cable outright OR lube it.

I use a cable specific spray and a power luber that clamps around the cable:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Raider-7-100-Injector-Cable-Lube/dp/B0027M6VCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403176555&sr=8-1&keywords=cable+pressure+lube+tool"]Amazon.com: Raider 7-100 Oil Injector Cable Lube Tool: Automotive[/ame]

I have a single screw tool as well as the newer dual screw tools. Both work about the same. Depending on how many "connections" and how gunked up the cable is, the spray will try to come out the area of least resistance. Thats why I separated the two halfs of the outer clutch cable(lots of spots to leak out of). Once cleaned out, I drip some 30wt synthetic oil down the top for a little bit of additional lube

Here's a combo tool and cable lube for cheap ($12.00):

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Cable-Lube-Kit/dp/B0039O2OAI"]Amazon.com: Tusk Cable Lube Kit: Automotive[/ame]

Shop around, you can get it cheaper..

Last edited:

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
And the hits keep on coming.. If anyone has a line on an FZ1 bar for a decent price please let me know, as you can see NYC has not been kind to my bike at all since I started riding :(. I haven't felt this nauseated in a while.. I'll give it more of a once over in the daylight but so far it just looks like the bar and brake lever are bent, along with rear fairing scratches and the tank having dents. :(

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And the hits keep on coming.. If anyone has a line on an FZ1 bar for a decent price please let me know, as you can see NYC has not been kind to my bike at all since I started riding :(. I haven't felt this nauseated in a while.. I'll give it more of a once over in the daylight but so far it just looks like the bar and brake lever are bent, along with rear fairing scratches and the tank having dents. :(

What happened? Did someone just push it over?

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to avoid the cost of new bars, you might try adding about an inch (25mm) of lift. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the PO just put on above the triple tree clip-ons. Is that what you kids call 'clubman'? With a 70 degree lock to lock, any bar not above the tank will hit the tank. That tank is an alloy of Aluminum and Tungsten, IIRC. Or at least my '05 is. Weighs about 1/3 the weight iof a steel tank and costs. Way much. You do not want to dent it.
I'm pulling my center stand off tomorrow. I use paddock stands when working on her so that center stand is just excess weight. I'm replacing the stock springs with .95's. I'm doing the Steering head bearing while I have everything taken apart. So PM me and I'll look into sending you my center stand. I'll have to see how much the postage is before I commit.
I'm not very good with the computer stuff. I have lost PM's before. So if I don't get back to your PM it is because I clicked on the wrong place and everything went blooie.
I worry about destroying the Web by accident one day.:rolleyes:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Jeez!! I think your bike is jinxed or it has a target on it...:(

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
What happened? Did someone just push it over?

Yes. I parked it in between two cars with a good 3-4 feet of space on either side, I'm assuming that the car that was in front did this backing out.

I've been keeping my eyes open on ebay and craigslist for an FZ1 bar since I bought the bike and all I've seen is the same one on ebay for about $125. I came across a few threads on here where people said they picked one up for $40 from the same source?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. I parked it in between two cars with a good 3-4 feet of space on either side, I'm assuming that the car that was in front did this backing out.

I've been keeping my eyes open on ebay and craigslist for an FZ1 bar since I bought the bike and all I've seen is the same one on ebay for about $125. I came across a few threads on here where people said they picked one up for $40 from the same source?

I got mine there, they now sell for $36.

2D1-26111-01-00 YAMAHA HANDLEBAR

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
How much gas are you putting in for that range? Are you filling it to the brim, I get similar range and rarely push too far into F-trip

Truthfully I haven't been super thrilled with the gas mileage but have pretty good luck getting mid 40s or better with it...the lowest I got was 42 I think

I usually got 55-65mpg when I had my FZ6. I could go 225 miles on a tank w/o f-trip coming on. I (OK-my hubby) filled it to the brim either on the center stand or I straddled it while he fueled. I miss that with my Triumph. I averaged 50 mpg on our recent trip.