New to bikes and the FZ6

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Need to maneuver in a tight parking area/turn your bike around in a driveway and don't want to do the Austin Powers 3(0) point turn? Oh, and do you trust your sidestand? Learn how to spin the bike on the sidestand!

Stand on the left side of your bike, **** (turns out you have to say turn, not rooster) the steering to the right, left hand on the throttle grip, right hand on the right side of the subframe. Lift up with your right hand, putting the bike on the sidestand and front wheel, then rock the bike back and towards you so that you're only balancing on the sidestand. Spin counterclockwise and then set the rear - then front, down - you just saved yourself 30 seconds and many opportunities to drop your bike! :thumbup:

There was a video on this, seemed to work pretty slick...:thumbup:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
In our Rider's Safety Training Course they teach here they always tell you to straddle the bike when moving it around. If you don't straddle and you are not experienced with bikes it's very easy to get the weight away from you and down goes your nice shiny bike. I've never dropped a bike while straddling it and I'm not a big guy.

I have to say i am not convinced!

I never dropped my bike, but my friend, who bought an FZ6 at the same time as me dropped his.

How did he do it?

Moving it on a parking lot while straddling it. There was a dip in the surface that he did not see/expect, his foot went lower in the "hole" than he thought, the bike leaned and he could not stop it.
He is not tall, but can definitely flat foot the bike.
Had he been on the side of the bike it would not have happened!

IMO it is a lot safer to push it from the side if you do it with the correct technique. And even if you screw up, it is a lot easier to control the fall of the bike from the side than it is while straddling it.

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a video on this, seemed to work pretty slick...:thumbup:

I use it all the time, both with my bike and my roommates literbikes (he doesn't like it as much when I do that) but when your driveway is barely wide enough for a car, turning a motorcycle around in it isn't any fun at all. And I figure if the kickstand breaks and the bike falls, I'm in the way to protect the plastics :) :thumbup:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the centerstand method in my narrow garage. I don't trust my, or the side stand's, strength and balance to use the side stand. I've done the Austin Powers method, while on the bike, plenty of times, too. Blah

Videofest:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDqiIZ3Zkbo]fz6 spin on centerstand II - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGcldkQmzw0]180 degree motorcycle spin. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhpeeEjheEE]How to: Spin a motorcycle on it's kickstand. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLKR9tCiwvA]Austin Powers - Three Point Turn - YouTube[/ame]

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty cool swiveling the bike around like that, I'm definitely not comfortable enough to attempt that yet lol.

Now I mentioned earlier that the bike didn't come with the center stand. The stands up on ebay.. I finally see a couple that come with the bolts, but none of them have the spring? In case one with a spring doesn't pop up for sale within the next week or 2, can I buy a spring separately somewhere?

Also since is my first bike, here is what I'm going to buy for chain maintenance:

-Kerosene for cleaning
-Dupont Chain Saver OR Multi-Use. These seem to consistently get good reviews, looks like people like the older Multi-Use more.

Ahhh I can't wait to start riding, this winter has been horrible and wont let go.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty cool swiveling the bike around like that, I'm definitely not comfortable enough to attempt that yet lol.

Now I mentioned earlier that the bike didn't come with the center stand. The stands up on ebay.. I finally see a couple that come with the bolts, but none of them have the spring? In case one with a spring doesn't pop up for sale within the next week or 2, can I buy a spring separately somewhere?

Also since is my first bike, here is what I'm going to buy for chain maintenance:

-Kerosene for cleaning
-Dupont Chain Saver OR Multi-Use. These seem to consistently get good reviews, looks like people like the older Multi-Use more.

Ahhh I can't wait to start riding, this winter has been horrible and wont let go.

All the parts are available on-line or at your local shop (ordering them, very likely, NOT in stock).

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...c3B4P2xzPXNwb3J0/Parts Catalog/starthere.aspx

Motorcycle Parts, Riding Gear & Accessories | BikeBandit.com

#1 Powersports Dealer | Babbitt's in West MI | New & Used

http://www.partzilla.com/

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Hehehe this is pretty cool! I found the sale thread of my bike!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/sell...fs-2006-blue-fz6-w-dual-headlight-set-up.html

If found another sale thread before that:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/40420-2006-fz6-sale-4200-san-antonio.html

I wish I could've gotten the tank bag and rear stand with it from the guy I bought it off of (he only put maybe 130 miles on it)- but I bought it for a good amount less than what he was asking so I'm happy. Funny coincidence :D. The bars are in fact Clubman.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First post, hello everyone! I purchased an 06 FZ6 2 weeks ago as my first bike, I haven't been able to register yet as I'm waiting for a replacement title to come in (2-3 more weeks)- but I'm trying to get some things done to it before I'm ready to ride.

Apart from that I'll keep searching ebay until a center stand with hardware/ spring shows up, I'd definitely like one for chain maintenance and general parking.

!

Here's a centerstand from a forum member in NC:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/52333-couple-things.html

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks I appreciate the heads up! A little more than I want to spend, at least as far as what the going rate seems to be on ebay though. I'll keep my eyes open.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Me too. Never had an issue. But in fairness, I have not tried riding a FZ6 with the FZ1 bars. We must have the same build.

aren't FZ1 bars lower than FZ6? I bought an FZ6 because I didn't have to bend forward to grip the bars like an R6, why would I want to ride like that on an FZ6?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use it all the time, both with my bike and my roommates literbikes (he doesn't like it as much when I do that) but when your driveway is barely wide enough for a car, turning a motorcycle around in it isn't any fun at all. And I figure if the kickstand breaks and the bike falls, I'm in the way to protect the plastics :) :thumbup:

How wide is the driveway? Turning a motorcycle around while riding will always be more enjoyable than to physically walk it or spin it around. You will be amazed what the capabilities of the FZ6 has if you just apply the correct technique.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
How wide is the driveway? Turning a motorcycle around while riding will always be more enjoyable than to physically walk it or spin it around. You will be amazed what the capabilities of the FZ6 has if you just apply the correct technique.

It's narrow - less than one standard road lane. If you park in it you have to chose which side of the car you want to be able to open. Splitting the difference means nobody gets out.

I'm familiar with low speed turning/handling maneuvers, am capable of U turns on narrow 2 lane roads, and there's no way to do that in a 10 foot wide driveway with a fence on one side and a house on the other.

I'd love to have the money to waste on rear tires and do a rear brake skid turn on my entrance/burnie on the exit, sadly I think my landlord would frown on rubber on the concrete.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
aren't FZ1 bars lower than FZ6? I bought an FZ6 because I didn't have to bend forward to grip the bars like an R6, why would I want to ride like that on an FZ6?

They are, but also with no rise. I used the fz6r bars for a while, but a friend liked them better than I did (RajBlah). The stock fz6 bars turned my wrists enough to pinch my shoulders.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update, I've put about 650 miles on the bike so far. Really enjoying it!!

I did my first oil change a few days ago, pretty sure it had Yamalube in it. I changed it to Rotella T6 and the gearbox is at LEAST 2x as tight now. Before it would clunk a good amount, now it shifts beautifully. Very happy with how it rides and performs.

One thing I'm not happy about, is the mileage :(. I haven't tracked it yet (Need to check the manual to learn how to set the trip), but I'll be lucky if I get 180 miles until the reserve starts flashing :(. Its definitely under 40mpg, closer to 35 I'd imagine.

12k miles, two brothers exhaust, K&N air filter, otherwise stock mechanically. The exhaust pops a bit on decel so I'd imagine its running a bit lean? What do you think is the culprit? The exhaust? Plugs should still be fine to 16k or so right? Would a TB sync make a big difference? This is with cruising and generally light throttle.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update, I've put about 650 miles on the bike so far. Really enjoying it!!

I did my first oil change a few days ago, pretty sure it had Yamalube in it. I changed it to Rotella T6 and the gearbox is at LEAST 2x as tight now. Before it would clunk a good amount, now it shifts beautifully. Very happy with how it rides and performs.

One thing I'm not happy about, is the mileage :(. I haven't tracked it yet (Need to check the manual to learn how to set the trip), but I'll be lucky if I get 180 miles until the reserve starts flashing :(. Its definitely under 40mpg, closer to 35 I'd imagine.

12k miles, two brothers exhaust, K&N air filter, otherwise stock mechanically. The exhaust pops a bit on decel so I'd imagine its running a bit lean? What do you think is the culprit? The exhaust? Plugs should still be fine to 16k or so right? Would a TB sync make a big difference? This is with cruising and generally light throttle.

How much gas are you putting in for that range? Are you filling it to the brim, I get similar range and rarely push too far into F-trip

Truthfully I haven't been super thrilled with the gas mileage but have pretty good luck getting mid 40s or better with it...the lowest I got was 42 I think

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Correct, yeah I've filled it up to the brim the last 2 times and after 150-180 miles I was on the last bar. I'm going to ride tomorrow, re-fill and track with trip. Lets see if I can go through a whole tank in one day just for kicks lol.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Correct, yeah I've filled it up to the brim the last 2 times and after 150-180 miles I was on the last bar. I'm going to ride tomorrow, re-fill and track with trip. Lets see if I can go through a whole tank in one day just for kicks lol.
How many gallons though, you probably are getting about what I get