Newbie .. .. New to me 08

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,
I'm leaving the dirt and looking for open highway for the first time. With this I need a bike to ride. Tonight I'm looking at an 08 FZ6 with 3,000 miles on it. Price seems fair at 4k USD, never down, kept inside but only had one oil change since new in Aug - 08 at 600 miles. Not thrilled, about oil sitting in there that long but I hope it will not have a profound effect. . .

I found a post of stuff to look for that seemed pretty extensive, I've got a good eye to boot so is there anything else that stands out on bike that's been sitting this long? Hopefully the fuel didn't go bad and you never know just how intrusive you can be pulling dipsticks and taking stuff apart. I'll find out tonight I guess!

Here is the link with a list (thank you OP!), but if you have something extra to add, please share! If all goes well I may opt to pick it up in 3 days!

Thanks,
~randy

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...004-18-000-mile-fz6-what-look.html#post338011

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum FinalImpact.:welcome:

That seems like a pretty good deal for an '08 with that few of miles. Did the owners at least start the bike once in awhile? I wouldn't be too worried about the oil, just do a change with a new filter when you get it home.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum FinalImpact.:welcome:

That seems like a pretty good deal for an '08 with that few of miles. Did the owners at least start the bike once in awhile? I wouldn't be too worried about the oil, just do a change with a new filter when you get it home.

I'm not sure. We exchanged a few emails, talked to him, he didn't seem like the "vested interest" owner who knew allot but that was just one isolated conversation.

If I get so lucky as to grab this bike this weekend, oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid would seem to wise to fluid changes.

Anything else to look for specific to faults on this model?

Thanks Again! And you can bet I'll be back if this comes my way! :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK - speaking of deals. . . .

All is not as it seems but I find it hard to ignore it either way. . . . As found; it has 4,150miles and the price is up just a tad at $4,300. She's a bit on the dirty side from rain rides but nothing that won't clean up. It has surface rust on the links and chain rollers but nothing that wouldn't happen to any bike. The only thing I found odd was the oil had a funny smell. Hopefully not a fried clutch! :/ Other than that, bike is tight! :) But it was down pouring so no test drive. I give the overall inspection a thumbs up and told the guy I would be back this weekend to settle up and take ownership.

Needless to say i've been tagged already as "mid-life crisis" at the ripe age of 47 needing a sport bike! lol

Please chime in; scratch and dent free, no blemishes to speak of, 4150 miles for $4300. I think its a good deal for an 08 anyone object? Did I mention she's Black?

So if the ECM system had an error of any kind, would the lamps flash or what would they do?

Thanks! I appreciate your input!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tic Talk - - 24 hours

I'm getting closer to owning a Black 08 FZ!!!! :thumbup:

- first road bike coming my way! How will I sleep tonight. . . lol

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
AS you could have guess things didn't go as planed yesterday, but today - today we have some "i'm in a hurry pictures in the rain" of the new bike! ;)

The bike is mine! Now for some TLC and paper work, insurance, registration. . . .

2011-03-20FZ6-1.jpg

2011-03-20FZ6-2.jpg

Does this make me an official member now? hehe

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Gratz man looks great! I remember when I first bought my FZ6 I ran outside about every hr to make sure i still had it:BLAA:

Let the modding begin...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Gratz man looks great! I remember when I first bought my FZ6 I ran outside about every hr to make sure i still had it:BLAA:

Let the modding begin...

Thanks! And speaking of. . . .

IMO bikes having the pulsing head light seem to catch my eye as being more visible than fixed steady state lamps. . . Having an electronics background I see some bench testing of various kinds until something can make other lamp pulse. Likely pulling the single high beam and replace it with hi/lo. . . Just thinking out loud at this time. . .

Any thoughts - - ?

For now, some cleaning and maintenance is past due so that will occupy my time which sadly is very limited. . .

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Newbie .. .. New to me 08 // 2012-03-20 a year later

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to me and the FZ! Still together after the Honeymoon! :popcorn:

Unfortunately its the same issue as last year and its raining buckets here non-stop! maybe this weekend will be better???? :don'tknow:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Newbie .. .. New to me 08 // 2012-03-20 a year later

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to me and the FZ! Still together after the Honeymoon! :popcorn:

Unfortunately its the same issue as last year and its raining buckets here non-stop! maybe this weekend will be better???? :don'tknow:

Happy Anniversary:thumbup:
I remember mine like it was last September, oh wait...It was:cheer:

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats, I bought an 05' with 2000 miles on it 3 weeks ago. While the tires looked ok they were original and I just didn't feel comfortable with 7 year old rubber. Had all the fluids changed, the bike looks and rides like new. I will say that I bought the bike because I wanted somewhat of a sport bike (my own mid-life crisis) and even with the more upright position still felt was too far forward. Bought bar risers on twisted throttle, helped considerably. Plan on getting a taller windscreen as my head gets buffeted like crazy at anything over 60MPH. Anyway sounds like you got a good one, congrats from one newbie to another!!