Oh, Snap!

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Literally. I rode about 80 miles yesterday, and was close to home when I heard a small kerchunk. I attributed it to a pothole and rode on. I gassed up before home and parked the bike in the garage. It was less than two miles home from the kerchunk. I did some work on the car, and gave my bike a quick wipe while walking by, only to see this:

:eek:
dsc0331lb.jpg

Seems the FE snapped off and dangled for a while. The visible holes were not the ones used to secure the FE to the bike. The FE snapped along the ragged line you see, and that area had several holes drilled.
dsc0332yb.jpg

Some of the plate number was worn away.

I think the previous owner put extra holes in the FE, and I added the cheesy saddle bag support. My support may have stressed the FE. I cringe to think of the dangling FE getting into the wheel or chain. I was lucky.
dsc0333w.jpg

Joe

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cringe to think of the dangling FE getting into the wheel or chain. I was lucky.

No joke! That was the first thing I thought of too, glad you're okay! :eek:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoa dude :eek: Thats nasty , so glad the unimaginable didnt happen :thumbup:

I ALWAYS carry 4 cable ties under my seat just for emergencies like this , ever since I watched a mates stock & unmodified rear end shake itself to peices on his Suki ;)

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I have cable ties. I was just oblivious to it until I was parked at home doing other things. I even stopped for gas and didn't see it. I may learn to do a quick walk-around at fill ups.

Joe

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you made out ok, and that there was no major damage. Curious, what brand of FE is that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S INFUSE using Tapatalk

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
That's one of the problems with buying stuff cheap that is made in China, it often is poorly designed and construction. The added saddlebag structure looks like it stressed the poor seam on the FE. Good no real damage was done. Although high quality stuff like Evotech runs more money the quality is undeniable and will last a lifetime with no issues.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nasty....

I had a traders number plate fall into my back wheel once, minced the number plate, took huge chunks out of the rear wheel...

You were real lucky.

:thumbup:

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Curious, what brand of FE is that?

Not sure, but it looks just like this one I bought to replace it. I honestly don't think the part is inferior. The previous owner and installer seems to have weakened it with new holes (many), and I may have stressed it with my home made saddle bag support. In addition, I will wait and get the replacement and read the instructions to see if it might have been installed in the wrong holes on the bike in the first place.

Today, I feel even more like I dodged a bullet. I had a mellow two miles home after it broke, but I had just come off I91 and I95 doing 80 in traffic.

Joe

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the FZR6 FE and the build is really good, the instructions easy to follow. The folds and welds are all wel done, making for a strong product. To break like that it must have either been severely weakened by a lot of bending or a s you say many holes drilled into it, maybe so it would break if it hit the tyre of it bottomed out
Glad you didn't have anything worse happen

Sent from the phone: sorry 'bout my spileng, fat fingers...you know!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure, but it looks just like this one I bought to replace it. I honestly don't think the part is inferior. The previous owner and installer seems to have weakened it with new holes (many), and I may have stressed it with my home made saddle bag support. In addition, I will wait and get the replacement and read the instructions to see if it might have been installed in the wrong holes on the bike in the first place.

Today, I feel even more like I dodged a bullet. I had a mellow two miles home after it broke, but I had just come off I91 and I95 doing 80 in traffic.

Joe

It looks like there were 2-4 holes or 2 holes and 2 slots? That's entirely possible that they weakened it, and the vibrations just fatigued it to the point of breaking.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow!

I walk around my bike before every ride and any time I get off just to make sure nothing looks out of the ordinary.

Ride on!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...... That's entirely possible that they weakened it, and the vibrations just fatigued it to the point of breaking.

^^
TRUE!

Holes left with jagged edges (not chamfered/rounded) and subject to vibrations and load will lead to metal fatigue and then cracks develop.

I'm glad you're OK!!! You really need to be looking your equipment over.

7.62fmj

Reaction score
Visit site
You're lucky bro ... coulda been a whole lot worse. That's the kinda fettlin' of a bike you can do without.