Old Dunlops

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I bought my bike at the end of last season. It's an 04, about 5k miles on it. I'm pretty sure the tires on it are the original Dunlops. When I had it inspected the guy said they'd be fine for another season. The front is scalloped a bit, but there's not much wear.

I'm thinking just due to the years on 'em I should probably replace them before I do anything too spirited.

Suggestions?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Replace them if they are the originals!! Check the date on the tire to be sure. Dry rot is a big issue, especially after 9 years.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My son is getting new tires and I suggested Bridgestone BT-023 or if he's going to do more spirited riding BT-016 Pro or the S-20. There are a lot of people that say The Metzler Z8's are great tire and then there are always the Michelin PR2's and PR3's The PR3's had some controversy with delaminating but they are supposed to have pulled those a while ago.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
I really liked the Pirelli Sport Demons on my last bike. Do people use those on the fz6, or are those other options better?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Replace as soon as you can. They've gone off.

The bike will feel a lot better after you get some new tires on it. Change all the fluids if you haven't already and have someone experienced check the bike over.

I hope you didn't buy the bike thinking you'd save money..

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
They needed to be replaced a long time ago my friend! Dry rot does bad bad things to tires structurally, even if you don't notice anything on the surface of the tyre.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I really liked the Pirelli Sport Demons on my last bike. Do people use those on the fz6, or are those other options better?

Sport Demon's are bias ply tires, and i don't believe come in standard sport bike size 180/55 and 120/70 17". But I did run those on my '86 fz600 in an odd ball 18" rear an 16" front (whatever 1980's sport bike!!) and they were Awesome!.
My friend is a tried and true lover of Pirelli Angels for a good sport touring tire!

After seeing how my stock Battlox BT020 tire has worn after only 2300 miles, I'm trying another brand other than Bridgestone. Next Tires up for the bike are a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q2's.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you didn't buy the bike thinking you'd save money..

Not my first rodeo...appreciate the concern though.

I was planning on replacing them right away, but when I had it inspected the guy was like "nah these'll be fine for at least another season."

Oh well, I was hoping to not go through the tire thing two years in a row. Gonna have to try harder to keep this bike in one piece...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sport Demon's are bias ply tires, and i don't believe come in standard sport bike size 180/55 and 120/70 17". But I did run those on my '86 fz600 in an odd ball 18" rear an 16" front (whatever 1980's sport bike!!) and they were Awesome!.
My friend is a tried and true lover of Pirelli Angels for a good sport touring tire!

After seeing how my stock Battlox BT020 tire has worn after only 2300 miles, I'm trying another brand other than Bridgestone. Next Tires up for the bike are a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q2's.

BT-020? I know you can find them somewhere on the internet but I thought those were replaced long ago. After the BT-020 was the BT-021 and then the BT-023. Much better compounds today and I'd bet you can only find BT020's with an old tire stamp and that may be why they wore so quickly. I never see BT-20's on bikes anymore.
I get 4000 mile out of a rear BT-016 Pro and 8000 mile out of a front. That's a pretty sticky tire. I have friends that are fast on BT-023's which is a longer wearing, less sticky tire. The BT-020's my 06 FZ6 came with were garbage...:)

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Not my first rodeo...appreciate the concern though.

I was planning on replacing them right away, but when I had it inspected the guy was like "nah these'll be fine for at least another season."

Oh well, I was hoping to not go through the tire thing two years in a row. Gonna have to try harder to keep this bike in one piece...

Yeah it's a PITA isn't it? I replaced the tires on my first bike then with the FZ6 just 6 months later.

At least you have a center stand for getting the wheels off easy.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
BT-020? I know you can find them somewhere on the internet but I thought those were replaced long ago. After the BT-020 was the BT-021 and then the BT-023. Much better compounds today and I'd bet you can only find BT020's with an old tire stamp and that may be why they wore so quickly. I never see BT-20's on bikes anymore.
I get 4000 mile out of a rear BT-016 Pro and 8000 mile out of a front. That's a pretty sticky tire. I have friends that are fast on BT-023's which is a longer wearing, less sticky tire. The BT-020's my 06 FZ6 came with were garbage...:)

Yeah the BT-020's are the stock tires that my 09' fz6 came with (still on the bike with 2400 miles) but the front is really chopped up. I just ordered a Dunlop Sportmax Q2 to replace it with. I have a new matching Q2 for the rear that my friend just pulled off of his FZ6R, because its a 180 wide which doesnt fit the FZ6R narrow rim (stupid previous owner).

Sorry Trying not to hijack your thread here, so:

I've heard good things about Dunlops. So I'm willing to give em a try!
But a tire that's 9 years old needs to go..
On the other hand, my '86 FZ600 had rubber on it that was about 15 years old and i ran that for half a summer. Once I got new tires I realized how confidence inspiring new rubber is and realized how bad the old ones were, and will NEVER run old rubber again!

KALEETAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Old Bridgestone 021 rear?

Just bought an 08 FZ with a suspect rear tire. The sides look ok but this is my first street bike after 17 years of dirt so Im not sure how long this will last in the center. Is this urgent? Just bought a new rear BT023, will that be compatible with the BT021 in the front? Any input would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks..

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Old Bridgestone 021 rear?

Just bought an 08 FZ with a suspect rear tire. The sides look ok but this is my first street bike after 17 years of dirt so Im not sure how long this will last in the center. Is this urgent? Just bought a new rear BT023, will that be compatible with the BT021 in the front? Any input would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks..

replace.... that today

Motorcycle Tire Wear

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
eek! original tires? yeah id have to side with others and fork up the money. I convinced my lil bro to buy new tires from his original 7 year old ones. They looked fine, but do you want to really trust an old tire at 70+ MPH? hell no. especially when you dont have 4 like a cage.

If you are considering Pirellis check these out Pirelli Angel ST.....they combined the devil somethings and the angels to get this new tire out. My bro has em and says the feel was night and day difference and there is more response and feel entering and exiting turns. PLus the angels fade to devils when they wear down! I cant wait to ride his bike and see the diff between my stock tires and his Perellis.

KALEETAN

Reaction score
Visit site
eek! original tires? yeah id have to side with others and fork up the money. I convinced my lil bro to buy new tires from his original 7 year old ones. They looked fine, but do you want to really trust an old tire at 70+ MPH? hell no. especially when you dont have 4 like a cage.

If you are considering Pirellis check these out Pirelli Angel ST.....they combined the devil somethings and the angels to get this new tire out. My bro has em and says the feel was night and day difference and there is more response and feel entering and exiting turns. PLus the angels fade to devils when they wear down! I cant wait to ride his bike and see the diff between my stock tires and his Perellis.

Yeah definitely ordered a new tire within a couple days, just wanted to know if anyone had an understanding of time frame on my tires particular wear. Have a Bridgestone BT-023 coming today so should be up and riding again tomorrow. They had good reviews and will most likely mesh well with the BT 21 up front.

Thanks guys.