painting/plastidipping gas tank... how to?

special_k_828

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys..

Going to start my streetfighter conversion soon. I am also going to plastidip the tank and fairings. My question is in regards to the tank. Do I drain all the gas out and then paint/plasti dip it? Or is it ok just to mask the gas cap cover with painters tape and then peel off afterwards?

Thanks in advance.

k

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
no need to mask .paint everything, then you can peel the gas cap when its dry.
i used alot of this stuff ,i really suggest getting a nice metalcast duplicolor paintjob (its cheap) instead the plasti dip cause it breaks eventually

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
The main point of dip is that it is removable. Go to the forums on dipyourcar.com and check out the motorcycle section, I've got the same name over there, you can see what I've done to my Triumph. The trick to removing tape is to do it when the dip is still wet. I taped everything off, since you have to cut it with a razor to remove the parts you want removed, you would be cutting on the OE paint and leaving edges that can peel up more easily if you don't remove the gas cap.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Zoidberg -

I have wanted to try the plastidip method - but I'm afraid of gas drips on my tank. Any thoughts on that, since you've obviously done it and seem to like the stuff?

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the stuff, I've done the grill on my car and the plastic chrome crap on the trunk lid too.

As far as gas drips go, I think you're hosed. You can put regular clear coat over plasti dip, but it isn't recommended, it makes it a PITA to remove (chemically bonds to the dip, the plasti dip-to-tank bond is mechanical).

I'm always careful when I fill up my tank anyhow, I'd rather get a drip on the back of my glove than on the tank. I haven't had a drop go on my tank yet this year.

Depending on the color you use, it may not make much of a difference, but gasoline will dissolve/break down the dip. You could always wait until it dries and spray some more dip on there to cover it up.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I never really understood the affinity for plastidip. I would only use it to try out a color scheme before a real paint job.

Other than that it look like a waste of money and time.

It does look somewhat good in the pictures though.

special_k_828

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. I will take the gas cap off and just cover the opening with tape.

PosterFZ6, reasons I like it are:

1) inexpensive vs. real paint job - a few cans of the stuff vs. paying hundreds/thousands for a professional job.

2) reversible - peel it off if you want to go back or if you don't like it

3) supposed to be fairly durable

4) DIY!

5) You're right about it looking good in pictures... hopefully, the real world results are half decent. It sounds like the way you paint/dip makes a difference in the results.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about to make a Transformers constructicon bike. Yep Blaze green and purple. Big fat Decepticon emblem on the puig windscreen.

My question is do I need to buy a paint gun for this to get a quality end result? Or just rock the cans? Thanks guys will be sure to post before and afters.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I just used rattle cans. Depending on how far away you spray and how heavy of coats you use the texture will vary.

Dip is great for people that like to change their minds a lot and don't want to commit to a real paint job. Also, it works very well to protect the surface it's covering. A buddy of mine had his STI professionally dipped, as he works in the natural gas industry and is always on ****ty roads following big trucks (and suby paint is notoriously ****ty), so he's using it to guard against stone chips etc.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about to make a Transformers constructicon bike. Yep Blaze green and purple. Big fat Decepticon emblem on the puig windscreen.

My question is do I need to buy a paint gun for this to get a quality end result? Or just rock the cans? Thanks guys will be sure to post before and afters.

Haha, that'll be one to see:thumbup:

I'm also about to do the Rattlecan job. Maybe 5-6 cans to do the job I reckon. We get severly ripped off in Australia. $8- in the US. $31- here:eek:. Still, $200- vs $2000-. I'm tending more towards a Gunmetal grey/Black combo.

kylito40130

Reaction score
Visit site
i actually did my fz6 not too long ago it looks fantastic the only problem i had with it is rubbing in crotch area it lasted for a while i ended up peeling the tank and different sections of the front headlight area ill include pics overall it was really easy

kylito40130

Reaction score
Visit site
944184_10201240095997439_868912468_n.jpg

1175363_10201732512147535_1185276072_n.jpg

i wanted to do a naked matte black plasti dip but ended up leaving the fairings

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditch the fairings and make it a street fighter. Easy to do. Lot’s of us have done it and can walk you through it. Here is a couple pics of my two different conversions. I’m back to sport touring to commute to work.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditch the fairings and make it a street fighter. Easy to do. Lot’s of us have done it and can walk you through it. Here is a couple pics of my two different conversions. I’m back to sport touring to commute to work.

Looks great man.