• In between Handicap Spots

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • in the fire lanes or in Hash mark area

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • As close as you can get to the place you are going on the side walk

Votes: 28 21.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I park mine away from most of the other cars in a spot makes it visible but far enough away from traffic and passerby. I figure if it's more out of the way, there's less chance someone will harm it (intentional or not).

I usually use a regular space. I try to get a spot near an island for shade and so I can park to one side and not worry about a car door being right next to it. I also think it's more visible that way so nobody thinks its an empty space and runs into it.

Are the line sections next to handicapped spaces still considered handicapped space? I would think so for ramp/vans and the like.

I park as close to the entrance as I can as long as it leaves plenty of walking space around my bike. I won't park in handicapped parking or block a fire lane but that about it, anywhere else is fair game. from what I understand most parking lots are considered privite property and you can't be ticketed by the police unless the propety owner complains, with the exception of handicapped spots and fire lanes. if this it not true I'm sure someone will know. but regardless I park where ever I want anyhow.

I park in normal spots, if someone knocks me over or hits it then that is why i have insurance. My bike is a vehicle and deserves to be treated just like any other vehicle. I personally think that parking in fire lanes or on the sidewalk ranks up there with the guy in a corvette that parks diagonally across a few spots \"So nobody door dings him\" No need for it.

Flame suit on...

My brother-in-law is the type of guy that will park right next to them, especially when there's one parked out at the other end of the parking lot "away" from the "normal" people.

It depends on where I am. Note, though, that I NEVER park anywhere other than the parking lot. I'm not better than anyone else, so why should I act as such?

If there's motorcycle specific parking, I'll use it. AT school, they took 2 spots at the end of a row and made it motorcycle specific. The way the spots are set up, there's enough room for about 8 bikes if people park correctly. On campus is the only place I've ever seen motorcycle specific parking.

If there isn't motorcycle parking, I'll use a standard spot. In using a standard spot, if I'm at work, I'll park off to the side, allowing room for another bike to get in and share the spot. If I'm anywhere other than at work, I'll park in the middle of the spot, with one end of the bike sticking out of the back of the spot, so it's visible before a car tries pulling into the spot.

I'm probably 50/50 between hashmarks & normal spot. The problem
I have with parking in a regular spot is that many times people won't see the bike and start pulling into it. Gotta hope they see it before they hit it! Hashmarks are usually just there because the spot isn't big enough for a car to fit. So why not use it?

I won't park on the sidewalk or in a firelane unless directed to do so (special event, etc).

I have with parking in a regular spot is that many times people won't see the bike and start pulling into it. Gotta hope they see it before they hit it! Hashmarks are usually just there because the spot isn't big enough for a car to fit. So why not use it?
(special event, etc).

+1 on both points. But you have to be more aware of the people backing up. People these days are so careless backing up, in addition half of the people don't even know how to properly back up. They just back up using their side mirrors while talking on their cell phone. Combined with vehicles that are built much higher these days, such as pick ups and SUV's, makes the bike even more difficult to see.

Yes, my bike if fully covered, and insurance will cover it after a deductible, but I'm going to do my best preventing it. It's not worth the aggravation of the bike being knocked down. Especially if it's a hit n run. I've just read too many post by members who have personally experienced it. I'm not going to leave my bike in the trust of somebody else's ability to park or back up when unattended. It's like parking at home on the street vs parking in your own driveway or garage. Comfort factor. Reduces the risk.

I'm fully aware that handicapped spaces need extra room for vehicles that come equipped with side loading ramps. So I make damn sure that If I ever park in one of these zones, that I leave enough room for them to get in and out. If not, I will pick another spot.

Vegas and I, it seems, often ride on the same side. Now, regarding parking (again) I subscribe not only to "defensive driving"---er, "defensive riding," I also subscribe to "defensive PARKING." I try to anticipate bonehead moves by other parkers. Of course, we probably all keep in mind that when one bumps into a bumper or dings a door the whole vehicle is not going to tip over. FZ'ers, we know that we are VULNERABLE..but not if we take pre-emptive measures. These---along with others---are reasons why I prefer to park in UNconventional parking areas such as sidewalks or areas (hash marks)_ where a car/truck is not even going to fit AND there is more likely to be eyewitnesses or video surveillance. Geez, even at work I have arranged to park in an unconventional area: in the custodial compound parking area, away from student/parent/other staff/man-off-the-street, etc. parking. No video cameras cover the bike at work but there is often personnel within sight. If I book hotel/motel room I try to get one with a view and within range of my FZ6 two-way Scorpio. No, I'm not paranoid---I consider it part of FZ6 ownership. So far...it's worked.

I subscribe not only to \"defensive driving\"---er, \"defensive riding,\" I also subscribe to \"defensive PARKING.\" I try to anticipate bonehead moves by other parkers.

That's a great term to use. We all agree that most of us Do Not Trust the other cagers abilities to see us as well as their driving skills, so we use the philosphy of riding like we are invisible. But when we are riding, corrective actions can be taken, such as braking, turning, or simply using the horn to prevent most accidents.

Now you are placing your trust in these same drivers when you park when no corrective action can be taken because your bike is unattended? You are at the mercy of these bonehead drivers. Doesn't make sense. There have been many posts from members about bikes being knocked down by cars, mostly Hit n Runs, so for those who have posted, thank you very much. As I continue to learn everyday on this forum on what and not to do.

I agree, you have to take preventive measures = defensive parking. Yes, there are times, when I have no other choice but to park in a parking lot or street along the cars, but I will do my best not to. Like some other member said, areas may not have motorcycle parking, but most places have bicycle racks, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a spot designated for me. I was at the post office the other day, and I parked right up at the front entrance besides the bicycle rack. Written on the pavement with paint in front of the bicycle rack said "Thank you for not driving." I parked and said "your welcome.'

That's a great term to use. We all agree that most of us Do Not Trust the other cagers abilities to see us as well as their driving skills, so we use the philosphy of riding like we are invisible. But when we are riding, corrective actions can be taken, such as braking, turning, or simply using the horn to prevent most accidents.

Now you are placing your trust in these same drivers when you park when no corrective action can be taken because your bike is unattended? You are at the mercy of these bonehead drivers. Doesn't make sense. There have been many posts from members about bikes being knocked down by cars, mostly Hit n Runs, so for those who have posted, thank you very much. As I continue to learn everyday on this forum on what and not to do.

I agree, you have to take preventive measures = defensive parking. Yes, there are times, when I have no other choice but to park in a parking lot or street along the cars, but I will do my best not to. Like some other member said, areas may not have motorcycle parking, but most places have bicycle racks, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a spot designated for me. I was at the post office the other day, and I parked right up at the front entrance besides the bicycle rack. Written on the pavement with paint in front of the bicycle rack said \"Thank you for not driving.\" I parked and said \"your welcome.'

One thing to note for riders is that parking in front of government and publicly owned/funded buildings anywhere but approved parking spaces can result in your motorcycle being ticketed, towed, or worse. ESPECIALLY post 9/11. I recently saw a bicycle dismantled because someone left a backpack locked to the bike near the capitol building and it was quicker to cut the bike in half than cut the bike lock.

Privately owned buildings and parking lots you shouldn't be ticketed but that may depend on local laws however you can be towed.

If it happens or not will depend on how big of an arse the owner/officer is.

I'd guess this is about how safe you feel your bike is when you park it. I park mine in full sight, as close as possible to where I will be and where as many people as possible can see it or hear the alarm if anyone should hit it or attempt to steal it.

+1 Ithink that if i lose it from my sight something bad will happen. Especially here in Athens!!!!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

what about taking potions for motorcycle parking, and now especially with the price of gas and i have noticed more bikes.....and scooters (LOL). There should be parking spots for us.

I'll never understand why you guys fell that you're so much better than everyone else, that you can park wherever you want. Self entitled much?

When I pull into a parking lot in the beat up 2000 dodge caravan grocery getter and see someone parked like a jacka$$ taking up "almost" 2 spots (on the line on one side), I like to force the van into the small spot next to them. It's good to drive a beater every once in awhile. :Flip: :D

I park whever makes sense without inconveniencing anyone else....plain and simple. I know how to share the road and I know how to share a parking lot. I think people put too much thought into how they park and how others park. My parking practices also might vary by where I am...acceptale road and lot usage will vary from rural to urban and from country to country. don't sweat the small stuff.....................

I'll never understand why you guys fell that you're so much better than everyone else, that you can park wherever you want. Self entitled much?
This attitude baffles me. To pretend that there's no difference between bicycles/cars or motorcycles/cars. And, to top it off, you ride? There is so much difference! You call it "better"? Strange choice of word. I suppose you would recommend a bicyclist to take a cage parking space if there wasn't a specific spot for a bicycle? To me, your position is laughable. Yeah, motorcylists according to you, since they're not "so much better" than "everybody else," should not be eligible for car pool lanes/exempt bridge toll fees, reduced ferry fees, reduced national park fees, lane split advantages, and more. Your statement "....that you feel you can park wherever you want" Huh? Who's saying that? You know what: the ones who don't stand up for anything are the not the ones who blaze trails. Again, your statement "better than everybody else"? Really? Traffic culture in this country, despite the above mentioned perks, is way more accomodating towards motorists who drive, not ride.

Last edited:
This attitude baffles me. To pretend that there's no difference between bicycles/cars or motorcycles/cars. And, to top it off, you ride? There is so much difference! You call it \"better\"? Strange choice of word. I suppose you would recommend a bicyclist to take a cage parking space if there wasn't a specific spot for a bicycle? To me, your position is laughable. Yeah, motorcylists according to you, since they're not \"so much better\" than \"everybody else,\" should not be eligible for car pool lanes/exempt bridge toll fees, reduced ferry fees, reduced national park fees, lane split advantages, and more. Your statement \"....that you feel you can park wherever you want\" Huh? Who's saying that? You know what: the ones who don't stand up for anything are the not the ones who blaze trails. Again, your statement \"better than everybody else\"? Really? Traffic culture in this country, despite the above mentioned perks, is way more accomodating towards motorists who drive, not ride.

Bicycles are not motorized vehicles, and take up significantly less space than a motorcycle. Besides, who the hell mentioned bicycles? I'm talking purely motorcycles. I park in car spaces. NEVER had a problem. I park in a way that makes my bike as visible as possible. It's the same as lane positioning when riding. Make the bike as "big" and visible as possible.

The fees you list are largely due to the wear and tear that vehicles put on the roadways and such. Do you honestly think a bike wears on the road as much as a fully-loaded 18-wheeler? Heck no! Does a bike take up as much space on a ferry as a car? Heck no! In those situations, yes, it's completely reasonable to reduce fees. But to think that you can park anywhere you want? That's just assinine. There are DESIGNATED PARKING AREAS for a reason.

You run more of a risk of someone bumping/scratching/knocking over your bike when it's parking on a sidewalk than you do in an actual parking space. People are dumb.

My favorite part is walking out of a building, seeing a bike parked on the sidewalk with a great big parking ticket on it. You DO NOT park in a non-designated parking space. Period. It's rude, and illegal.

Bicycles are not motorized vehicles, and take up significantly less space than a motorcycle. Besides, who the hell mentioned bicycles? I'm talking purely motorcycles. I park in car spaces. NEVER had a problem. I park in a way that makes my bike as visible as possible. It's the same as lane positioning when riding. Make the bike as \\\\\\"big\\\\\\" and visible as possible.

The fees you list are largely due to the wear and tear that vehicles put on the roadways and such. Do you honestly think a bike wears on the road as much as a fully-loaded 18-wheeler? Heck no! Does a bike take up as much space on a ferry as a car? Heck no! In those situations, yes, it's completely reasonable to reduce fees. But to think that you can park anywhere you want? That's just assinine. There are DESIGNATED PARKING AREAS for a reason.

You run more of a risk of someone bumping/scratching/knocking over your bike when it's parking on a sidewalk than you do in an actual parking space. People are dumb.

My favorite part is walking out of a building, seeing a bike parked on the sidewalk with a great big parking ticket on it. You DO NOT park in a non-designated parking space. Period. It's rude, and illegal.

Your statemment: "Bicycles are not motorized vehicles, and take up significantly less space than a motorcycle" Yeah, and motorcycles take up significantly even less space than a car. Your argument is mostly a non sequitur since you seem, strangely, to be making my point for me---that there IS a difference between motorcycles and cars. Maybe I should thank you. In my experience, many merchants welcome-- motorcyclists/bicyclists to park near front entrance. "Who in the hell mentioned bicycles?" (breaking news: I did) Don't some bicycles and motorcycles often have similar width handlebars? I wonder what kind of motorycles are you thinking about: full dress Electra Glides? BTW, if a motorcyclist parks on a public sidewalk (especially when impeding pedestrian traffic) and gets a ticket....rider probably deserves it. But, back to defensive parking, the whole idea and extra effort to find a less vulnerable area to park is undertaken to decrease the risk of incurring motorcycle damage. Incidentally, I've seen many of your "designated" parking spaces that I would---because of the location--- be reticent to park in whether in a 4 wheel vehicle or motorcycle. Hey, I suppose if I was to get wound up over things as you that I would get carried away about motorcyclists getting to take up a whole car space in a parking lot. Why would anybody get all locked up over something as where a motorcycle is parked when it's not in the way of anybody's passage or safety?

Last edited:
Why would anybody get all locked up over something as where a motorcycle is parked when it's not in the way of anybody's passage or safety?

The same thing could be said if I decided to pull my SUV up on the lawn. "I was parking defensivly and its not in anybodys way or a safety hazard." In fact why stop at parking outside the building why not just take your motorcycle inside the building?

The funny thing to me is its the same people arguing that its totally safe to fill up sitting on the bike as it is arguing they need to park whever they want, usually illegally, to protect their bikes safety. :rof:

Back