Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all!

I moved into a rural area lately and now have to ride in the pitch black every night on my commute to work, and also regular 80mile trips to oxford.

I have always found the headlight on my 08 FZ6 S2 to be a bit pants in total darkness and now that i'm doing so much night riding i really feel the need to get some extra lights on the front so i can see more of the road and further ahead.

I've done lots of searching for different lights and reading up on different things and think ive found the set of lights i want.

The kit i want to get is made by PIAA, you can see the specs and everything on their website HERE The kit comes with 2 lamps, wiring kit and custom mounts for the Fz6 / fazer.

What do you guys think about them? ive found a shop on ebay that sells them for £200 which is still pretty expensive, but the cheapest ive found!

please let me know your thoughts!

Ryan

Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i've tried the powerful xenon bulbs but it hasnt seemed to make much of a difference :(

HID is about the same cost though isnt it? if not more expensive lol

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They are very nice but just as expensive here in US as well. Be careful, they do draw a lot of juice.

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my stock bulbs with PIAA's and it makes a world of difference
PIAA these are lot cheaper then the kit your looking at and these are plug and play.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, PIAA lights are ridiculously overpriced. I've used Hella products for years and they perform perfectly, are built to last and are much cheaper. I agree a HID conversion would be a better option. If you do add extra lights though, you'd be smart to wire them in such a way that when you turn them on, your factory headlights go off or you'll probably put too much load on the electrical system and kill your battery.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, PIAA lights are ridiculously overpriced. I've used Hella products for years and they perform perfectly, are built to last and are much cheaper. I agree a HID conversion would be a better option. If you do add extra lights though, you'd be smart to wire them in such a way that when you turn them on, your factory headlights go off or you'll probably put too much load on the electrical system and kill your battery.

Agreed. I think the consensus is that there's only about 100w to spare with just the low beam on. If those lights are 55w each you're probably going to be overtaxing your charging system with just the low beam on. If you have the high beam on or the dual headlight mod you're going to be in trouble.

HouTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed. I think the consensus is that there's only about 100w to spare with just the low beam on. If those lights are 55w each you're probably going to be overtaxing your charging system with just the low beam on. If you have the high beam on or the dual headlight mod you're going to be in trouble.

So if I have the dual headlight mod and install a cigarette lighter outlet for my Sat Nav, I will be over taxing the charging system?

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
So if I have the dual headlight mod and install a cigarette lighter outlet for my Sat Nav, I will be over taxing the charging system?

I can't imagine that's going to be a problem. The GPS won't take very much power. The only time to worry is if you have the dual headlight mod and are running something that will take a lot of power like a heated jacket or additional lighting. Something like GPS or phone chargers won't take much at all.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I vote for HID + dual low beam mod. I did dual low beam mod and would recommend it to everyone. In addition if you throw in HID on one side you will get a lot of light and that is what you are after.
I would do both HID lights but unfortunately than you lose high beam.

Zack

Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
Well my FZ6 only has the single bulb, so i should still have some juice left in the electrical system shouldnt i?

If i have just the low beam on + the 2x55w lights it should be ok shouldnt it ? Ill have to not use my Heated grips though i suppose :( sounds like these bikes could do with a heavier duty R/R

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
Well...
I've tryed different things...
1. Both halogen lights at the same time.
Better than stock but not good enough!

2. Both HID with both low-high beam.
Better than before, not enough!

3. Installed bmw projectors with the chinese HID kit I had installed before.
Better than before 200% better

4. Installed oem d1s osram bulbs with oem ballasts.
Better than before 400% better than chinese HID in projectors
anything I have seen before WOW!!!

One of my best mods so far!

Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the lights kit has arrived so ill be fitting them tomorrow. I'll multimeter the batter when they are switched on and see if it still charges when revved etc. If ppl want any pics then let me know

flash

Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to consider L.E.D. driving lights to enhance your in the dark riding. This technology has come a long way in the last few years. Twisted throttle is now selling a set called Denali driving lights, They draw minimal power and produce approx. 900 lumens. Which is almost as bright as your traditional halogen bulbs.