Picked up an 04 Today

Mudflap

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I bought a 2004 FZ6 today. It has 5200 miles and is in nice shape. I've only ever ridden a cruiser before, so its definitely... different. :) I also have a 2013 Suzuki M90 cruiser, so this is a second bike. So far so good though, I'm excited to have it to play with. Planning to take it in this weekend for new tires and an oil change at a minimum. Might consider changing the brake fluid and battery as well, I'll see what the mechanic thinks on those...

Here is a picture, and also I posted up a vlog on my motovlogging YouTube channel if anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyWAwOMTHSo

4.jpg

you could have written 'brand new' instead of 5200 miles! it looks that mint.

welcome on board and enjoy the fz. it will give you thrills by the bucketloads.

i would check for any rust tho in the gas tank, with so few miles it has stood still for a very long time, and if the fuel tank was not full with gas while sitting still, well rust may have formed.

also check the tps recall has been done. its free from any yamaha dealer as it was a factory recall. bikes who have it done usually have a mark on their frame number (dot,paint etc). if not sure go to any dealer with your frame number and they should be able to tell you.

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the bike.
As stated check TPS (throttle position sensor) and front sprocket retainer have been carried out.
Neil:thumbup:

Hey guys, I bought a 2004 FZ6 today. It has 5200 miles and is in nice shape. I've only ever ridden a cruiser before, so its definitely... different. :) I also have a 2013 Suzuki M90 cruiser, so this is a second bike. So far so good though, I'm excited to have it to play with. Planning to take it in this weekend for new tires and an oil change at a minimum. Might consider changing the brake fluid and battery as well, I'll see what the mechanic thinks on those...

Here is a picture, and also I posted up a vlog on my motovlogging YouTube channel if anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyWAwOMTHSo

4.jpg
I've just watched your blog with interest. There are plenty of guys here who are your height and ride the bike with the stock footrests. I wonder if you're trying to think and ride it like a cruiser? Give it a few weeks to get used to it.
Good luck

Neil

Congrates on the new bike!

Make sure your chain slack is accurate, this bike has a very loose chain (approx 2" total up and down) :

Once the pic is open, double click again to enlarge it.

BTW, looking at your video, just a suggestion, you tend to ride in the center, greasy, part of the road. IMHO, try riding off to the side a little bit, you'll be less likely to pick a nail, grease on the tires, etc...

Very nice area you live in BTW.

Once you get some miles under your belt on the bike, try winding it up (higher RPM's), above 8K-14,000 RPM's, thats where the fun starts. Then post a video!! Add some aftermarket pipes, then you'll really appreciate those 600cc's!!

Last edited:
Nice bike same year as mine with grey rims.
I would recommend to change the grips as soon as possible against vibration.
Original ones can't absorb vibration and it makes rider very tired after a long ride.

Especially when i first ride it after a virago 250 bike, as a novice rider,i was very afraid of 98hp, so i grabbed handlebars very tight.
That was the main cause i guess.

Last edited:
You will love it! I have a big Victory cuiser (Kingpin) but I prefer the FZ6 for commuting and hitting the twisty roads in my area.

You can expect 40-50 mpg depending on how hard you ride it.

I actually feel more in control on the FZ6 than I do on the big cruiser, it's just so much more responsive and easy to control with great brakes. My Victory is 1635 CC and makes 90 hp/106 ft lbs torque but the FZ6 is still much quicker.

Flushing the brake fluid should be high on your list! Needs done at least every 2-3 years.

You are right about the wind! It's pretty much like riding with no windscreen but to me that makes it easier to see when riding with sun glare in curves.

The FZ6 likes to be at or above 5,000 rpms in any gear when cruising at constant speeds. Best power is above 7,500 rpms.

When I spend a week on the cruiser and then go back to the FZ6 it takes me about 10 miles to feel comfortable on it again, just such a huge difference in riding position, throttle, clutch, brakes, etc.

Last edited:

Make sure your chain slack is accurate, this bike has a very loose chain (approx 2" total up and down) :

The owners manual is free on Yamaha Motorcycles website and has all of the routine maintenance tasks.
My Yamaha Prompt - Owners Manual

My internet is so slow, It has repeatedly failed to upload the PDF.

Neil

Last edited:

BTW, looking at your video, just a suggestion, you tend to ride in the center, greasy, part of the road. IMHO, try riding off to the side a little bit, you'll be less likely to pick a nail, grease on the tires, etc...

Very nice area you live in BTW.

Once you get some miles under your belt on the bike, try winding it up (higher RPM's), above 8K-14,000 RPM's, thats where the fun starts. Then post a video!! Add some aftermarket pipes, then you'll really appreciate those 600cc's!!

Thanks, I put it on the center stand and did a cursory chain tension check. It seemed to not go more than maybe 3/4" either way. Seemed roughly in spec. I'm going to have the shop change the tires on Saturday anyway, so I was going to have them once-over the bike, including the chain as well. I've never had a chain driven machine before, my other bike is shaft drive.

The roads here actually do not accumulate much "junk" in the middle in the way of grease, etc, compared to other places I've lived (8 states total). Maybe because its a super dry climate, I have no idea, but there's a noticeable difference.

By the way, you guys rock so far! I've been using internet forums since... the internet, basically. Not sure I've ever seen SO many helpful posts on a car/bike forum so quickly. Thanks!

When you get bored or its raining, some "Mothers aluminum and mag polish" to spiff up your header:

(as dry as it is there, they should stay shiney for awhile)

Last edited:
When you get bored or its raining, some "Mothers aluminum and mag polish" to spiff up your header:

(as dry as it is there, they should stay shiney for awhile)

Thanks, I have a can of NevrDull that I usually use for stuff like that. May try that first as I have it on hand... if not, then I'll look for the other stuff.

I brought the bike in for service today, and had a list of things done:

New Tires (Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II's -- who names these things?)
Oil Change
Brake Fluid flush
Clutch/Throttle cable lube

This evening I installed a set of 1" drop pegs in natural aluminum from Knight Designs, and adjusted the brake and shifter as necessary.

I cleaned the chain the other day, so at this point, shes pretty much ready to go. Runs great, rides smooth. The bike is a blast to ride! :thumbup:

I brought the bike in for service today, and had a list of things done:

New Tires (Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II's -- who names these things?)
Oil Change
Brake Fluid flush
Clutch/Throttle cable lube

This evening I installed a set of 1" drop pegs in natural aluminum from Knight Designs, and adjusted the brake and shifter as necessary.

I cleaned the chain the other day, so at this point, shes pretty much ready to go. Runs great, rides smooth. The bike is a blast to ride! :thumbup:
How is it with the lower pegs?

Neil

How is it with the lower pegs?

Neil

Not sure, haven't ridden it yet with those. I will today and report back...

The dealer ordered the part for the sprocket bolt or whatever that tsb is. He said he had to check further on the throttle position sensor for some reason. I just told him I'd bring it back for those next week.

Not sure, haven't ridden it yet with those. I will today and report back...

The dealer ordered the part for the sprocket bolt or whatever that tsb is. He said he had to check further on the throttle position sensor for some reason. I just told him I'd bring it back for those next week.

Re the locking tab for the front sprocket from: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

Service Bulletin No.: 200603
Component(s): POWER TRAIN NHTSA ID Number: 10019598All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)YAMAHAFZ62004-2005YAMAHAYZFR61999-2005
Details
0 Associated Documents Manufacturer: Yamaha Motor Corporation, USASUMMARY:
DRIVE SPROCKET RETAINING NUT AND LOCK WASHER REPLACEMENT. *TT Request Research

Last edited:
Back