Picking on Harleys

P.S. Where's HavBlue to tell me that I'm an idiot because I don't like Harleys

Ok....someboday has to do it....:spank:

remember there are several folks here with a stable of bikes and one may be a harley--

I knew there was a reason Steve---- only to reading 4 posts to remember :D

The VRod does look cool!
It's so cool, that the real Harley guys hate them.
Just ask one, they will tell you it's not a real Harley!
Nuff Said!

The VRod does look cool!
It's so cool, that the real Harley guys hate them.
Just ask one, they will tell you it's not a real Harley!
Nuff Said!

You think VRod ridders are outcasts, go talk to the Buell guys.

Fred - Nice call on HavBlue, I was waiting for someone to toss that name in.

I didn't want to open a can of worms but from what I've found over the years very few Harley riders get it. Yeah they get the cheesy leather vest, chaps and the local Harley dealership tee shirt all topped off with an American flag bandana wrapped around their dome, whatever. They love their chrome and spending huge amounts of money on totally useless shiny bits, whatever. What kills me, well actually them, is the fact that none of them can actually ride. They putt down the road are typically in the way of all, and they don't have the common sense to move right when about 20 vehicles are stacked up behind them. Most know nothing about motorcycling in general, common safey (hence the lack of gear), no skills, and are most comfortable posing instead of riding. They ride a Harley for the "life style", whatever. I've also noticed that after a few years they then sell the bike at a nice loss, "For sale, three year old HD, only 2,700 miles, like new, dual staggered exhaust - ear splittingly loud. Trailered to Sturgus last year." Butt jewlery wearing clones...nuff said.

Now the real HD biker dudes, they are actually pretty cool.

Posers are just a percentage of the Harley riders. Just like there are useless flip flop wearing tools who ride crotch rockets AND FZs.

The majority of harley guys I know ride them cause they like em, add mods because they ... well here's a fact. My nightster opened up with pipes and flash update. On almost all my metric bikes (over 15 of em) responded with much less increase in performance.

And hey... when you get older... you aren't most likely gonna buy a duc 1098, you may get a road glide or something, and guess what...when you do that, you dont automatically turn into an asshat that doesn't know how to ride.

I'll take ridin with a few old harley riders over some squids ANY day especially when my g/f is riding with me.

Sure the Nightster will open up on a much greater percentage basis than a Japanese or European bikes is because they are tuned so poorly from the factory to begin with. If I'm not mistaken your bike is a 1200cc bike that makes about 55 hp at the rear wheel. I'm sorry its 2009 and that is really pathetic. On a cc to hp ratio that is about the poorest I've ever seen, 50cc scooters are better, seriously. So yes if you chip it, and open up the exhaust it will run much better. Hell my 25 year old Yamaha Vision 550 made 57 hp way back in 1982, and it was a V Twin, and it didn't leak oil either.

As Fred said do I hate Harley, of course not, but do I think they are lost as a company, yes. They are the king of junk vehicle loans; think Franny and Freddie here. The loan default rate is huge and they may get into a death spiral. Now the new XR1200 shows that they do have at least one engineering team who gets it.

As far as getting older (I'm 44, does that sort of count?) and not buying a 1098S, actually if I could fit one in the budget I'd have one. For this year I'd like to get a dedicted track bike. If I was getting a larger touring bike it would never be a Harley, maybe an FJR or ST as I know both run great, are comfortable, reliable, handle well and are quick.

It is what it is...

horses for courses ..one mans junk is another mans treasure.etc.etc..what i want to know ,who will be the next generation of HD riders..as a company does HD supply a viable product (looks,performance,quality,cost) that will capture the imagination of todays 20-somethings like a rice rocket does..maybe the US market is different but talking to a few freinds who own harleys some of who have imported some rare screaming eagle editions here in the UK it appears they have become very disillusioned with the brand and have now switched to triumph rocket3's..looking from the outside in ..i dont think the nostalgic image is enough to keep sales up..who knows

Back