Pirelli Angel GT

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, my car does about 25 MPG so I would have to do about 60,000 miles on my FZ6 for it to pay for itself and that's not including maintenance and insurance.

If I really wanted to save money, I would sell my pretty new car and pick up a winter beater. I could use the bike as reliable transportation as long as it's above 40 degrees out and then my $1,000 jalopy when it's snowing. As it stands I would pretty have to not drive my car during riding season for the next ten years to hit 60,000 miles in just commuting.

Now if my car got 15 MPG it would only take about 24,000 miles to recoup the cost of the bike.

The crazy thing is the bump from a 45mpg bike to a 65mpg bike would only save $300 / 12,000 miles, but a bump from a 15 mpg car to a 25 mpg car saves $1,200 / 12,000 miles. So getting a more fuel efficient bike than the FZ doesn't even really help this scenario.

I do this for a living, so I'v tried to crunch the numbers every possible way, the only conclusion I come to (if I want to save money) is to sell my car.
But I digress.... we were talking about tires right?

haha, I like the way you think. It's how I justify the bike to my wife. ;) You don't have to recoup the cost of the purchase of the bike with fuel savings but if the fuel savings can pay the insurance, registration, tires and maintenance and still save some money then it makes sense to keep the bike! My main cage is a pickup that gets 18 mpg on a good day so getting 45-48 mpg commuting on the bike makes a lot of sense when the weather is good plus it's an excuse to ride because I don't have time on the weekends to go for a ride like most bikers do.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly how I see it. I didn't buy my bike this past summer to commute, but I rode it to work whenever the weather was clear. Even with riding after work on top, I filled my tank once a week for about $12. This is way better than $50+ every 2 weeks in the truck and the bike is way more fun!