Please help! Ignition switch getting slow.

Kanten

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys!

I just recently noticed that turning the key is getting harder. I also have some trouble pulling the key out. This worries me as the column's put through a lot of stress each time I'm riding, and I'm afraid I suddenly wont be able to turn it at all!

How hard is it to change the column?
Could this be a warranty issue?
Any idea how much a column will set me back?

Thanks people!

Kanten

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried different keys and they acted the same way. Didn't try WD-40 though. I'll get some tomorrow ;-)

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
my gas lock was acting like this recently. got to where i couldn't even turn it. i got some graphite "lube" from lowe's. it took a few times of using it but it seems to be acting right now.

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This happens to me as well. I think it is because I ride everyday, rain or shine, and lately we've been having a lot more rain. Last Dec, I had to call a locksmith it got so bad - couldn't turn the key at all. It cost $160 for the visit. I think it's best to cover the bike as much as possible to prevent this.

A word of caution on the graphite lock stuff - overtime, it can get gummy and make the problem worse. I'd stick to the WD-40 and don't use a silicon based lube or wax lube either for the same reasons.

Also, if you do end up getting the key stuck in the ignition and/or it won't turn, be VERY gentle when trying to move it with either a hammer or pliers. These keys are flimsy and bend easily - trust me!

Also (last "also"), get a few copies of your key BEFORE any problems start. If you're interested, get an actual replacement key from Yamaha, costs about 30 bucks but it's a perfect fit.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As others have said WD-40 will loosen it up. In addition follow up with a graphite bases lubricant after it had been loosened. Work the key in and out as well as rotating the tumbler until it's free.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate WD for this reason - YES, it will help in the moment, but it is not meant to be a permanent solution. Its meant to penetrate and displace water. It evaporates leaving nothing behind. The reason it seems to work is it dilutes the existing grease in the lock so it momentarily moves into circulation.

There are light greases and lock lubricants made for this; buy some because WD is not going to last.

Pump the light grease in and insert and turn the key like 15 times. Wipe the key off as the grime comes out and sticks to it. Add more lube as needed. Repeat before winter hits.

Kanten

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm late with the answer again. Honestly I don't know how you guys keep track of all your threads? :p
The WD-40 helped a lot, and I wiped all the nasty crap of the key. Amazing how the tumbler survives at all if you ask me.
I've lubed it up again, so it's all good. It's been for a while at least.

When winter hits me FinalImpact, it's gonna be -30 Celcius, so I'm not gonna be riding too much then ;-)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm late with the answer again. Honestly I don't know how you guys keep track of all your threads? :p
The WD-40 helped a lot, and I wiped all the nasty crap of the key. Amazing how the tumbler survives at all if you ask me.
I've lubed it up again, so it's all good. It's been for a while at least.

When winter hits me FinalImpact, it's gonna be -30 Celcius, so I'm not gonna be riding too much then ;-)

Good job!
The WD40 is great for loosening and will keep it loose for a while but finish lubing with spray silicone lube or a lock lubricate. The WD40 will gum up again as time goes on.:D

teej21012

Reaction score
Visit site
Like moto said, WD-40 is good and all but there are downsides. I personally had this problem. I bought DuPont lock lubricant at Lowes. Simply two squirts in the ignition, put the key in and out a couple time (insert dirty joke here) and your done. Key has turned flawlessly every time from then on. Gonna have to do this on my gas tank also.

Kanten

Reaction score
Visit site
I used lock oil. The only sensible thing I dared to put in there.
One of the big problems I face in this forum is what you guys use is often impossible to get a hold of in Norway. Luckily there are some well know equivalents, but when you say you bought DuPont oil at Lowes, I can't access any of those! I've managed to figured it out so far though. It just requires a lot more thinking than I'm comfortable with :D

Yeah, about that dirty joke.... I had the grin of a 14 year old when I was loosening the tumbler :D