PR3's

Rumpole

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone had any luck testing these.
About to get new tyres.
I wasn't real happy with the PR2's but willing to try the 3's.
The Dunlop Q2's were good but sooo soft o my God.
Rumps

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey a few of us are talking up the Z8's from metzler they out perform the pr3 's in European testing
I really love mine good turn in confidence on corners handle tram tracks really well even in the wet and braking is +ve
After the pr3s got some poor PR they slipped down my list
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone had any luck testing these.
About to get new tyres.
I wasn't real happy with the PR2's but willing to try the 3's.
The Dunlop Q2's were good but sooo soft o my God.
Rumps

Rumps I run the PR3's and I really like them, but TBH I find it very similar to the PR2's (which I had previous), the only difference is the added tread pattern on the PR3's, the rubber and shape are identical.

As Adrian (AGF) says motorrad (considered one of the best motorbike mags in continental europe) tested the metzeler not only as best in the wet, but also best overall :thumbup:.

Heres the test (if you speak german ;))

The final results are here. The columns are labelled "road test new"-"road test after 4000Km's"-"wet test"-"wear", the last 2 columns are "total" and "position".

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to ask.. what did you not like about PR2s?

I think they're phenomenal. Great traction in dry and wet and I've got about 7k miles on mine now (on FZ1) with rear tire still looking very fresh.

I would love to try Z8s though.. just to get away from Michelin.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
With all this talk of the Z8s, I'm strongly considering them over PR3s. I have Conti Road Attack 2s now and will be looking to replace sometime in the spring.

My only concern of the Z8s over the PR3s would be longevity. As a commuting rider primarily, I'd like them to be economical and go the distance.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the PR2's and didn't have any real problem with them...I'd like to second the question about why you didn't like them? I haven't gone through a lot of tires, so I'm very curious. Maybe I like the PR2's because I don't know what I'm missing?

damn I might have to get z8's next year...

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link to a thread I started a while back about PR2's and PR3's that may help you out:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/40861-michelin-pilot-road-2s-3s-revisit.html

I personally can't fault them, I've used them both on the road and at the track and quite frankly am stunned at the grip levels they offer even at intermediate level trackday speeds.

I'm just coming to replace my front tyre now (replaced the rear previously as it picked up two screws at around 4000 miles) which has covered around 8500 miles, not bad considering it has been subjected to 3 track days over that time. :thumbup:

Hope this helps,

Yamahaboyz

fz6jason

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I haven't tried the z8's so I can't comment on them...

but I have PR2's on my FZ6, and a set of PR3's on my FZ1

I fine both tires to be good, but give the edge to the PR3's in the rain b/c of the extra groves, and b/c it rains so damn much here in Queensland :spank:

I don't track day the FZ1, but I do keep up with some fairly wild characters when out on group rides :rockon:

So far they have worn very even and well, so if I had to buy new tires, another set of PR3's would be going on!

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sold on Metzeler. I've run the M3's and M5's and they are great. I imagine the Z8's have greater life, and are preferred by our Aussie friends!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have been thru 2 PR2's and 1 PR3 and currently on a new PR3. No complaints here. I have riden from 25 to 105 degrees F with no problems. Love the PR3 in the rain, it just sticks! Thought about going to a different tire this time but went back to the PR3 because I ride all year in the hot and cold, rain and dry and it is very consistent and I know it. Also wanted to buy locally as I could look and touch before I bought it. I dont keep my tires that long 36,000 miles in 4 and a half years. 34,000 have been on 2 PR2's and a PR3 so they do last. I replaced the first PR2 early - was going on a 1,500 mile trip and didn't want to take the risk of wearing it out or getting caught in a heavy downpour with a worn tire. I did contemplate the Angels but if they are different it is not by much.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles are your getting out of the M5's mate ?? I really would like to give them a go now I dont have a huge commute :)

I put them on at 5100 miles and I have about 8000 miles on the clock. They have some wear, and I'm estimating another 3 to 4K miles on them.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a pr3 on the front and hate it , big let down from the pr2's ,Just put a Z8 on the rear and very happy, one will be on the front soon.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
whats the diff between the PR3 front and PR2 front? running PR2 and will prob go to PR3 on the front

I used to have PR2's, and I now have the 3's. I started by changing the front to PR3's and much later changed the rear. I didn't notice any difference in handling.
The only difference between the 2's and the 3's are the extra grooves on the 3, which help with grip in the wet, the rubber and the shape are identical.