Pushed the tank limit today!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this has been done before, but I pushed the bike the furthest into the reserve I've gone yet, and then almost choked on the price to refuel... :rant:

042111161400.jpg

042111163801edit.jpg

This is my second tank filled with Supreme (91 octane). I always run two tanks of the 'good (read: expensive) stuff' through her every spring to help clean her out, then switch back to regular (87 octane).

I hope the prices normalize soon (although they're telling us it'll be $1.50+ before the summer ends! :eek:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the highest anyone has gone on reserve is Caladin, and it was like 51 miles, not kilometers. It was noted on his trip report up to the Arctic or somewhere near there last year.

I have run out of fuel on my bike at the 43 mile mark.

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey that is where I buy my gas. I filled up my Ford edge yesterday... 100 effing dollars! So the FZ6 and the bicycle will be used a lot this year.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the highest anyone has gone on reserve is Caladin, and it was like 51 miles, not kilometers. It was noted on his trip report up to the Arctic or somewhere near there last year.

I have run out of fuel on my bike at the 43 mile mark.

I read his report... pretty crazy. I wasn't nervous here as I am only a few minutes from a gas station if the bike did die, but being that far into it in the arctic... crazy! :D

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey that is where I buy my gas. I filled up my Ford edge yesterday... 100 effing dollars! So the FZ6 and the bicycle will be used a lot this year.

I prefer fueling there, but have used the Petro Canada a few times as well... My Grand Cherokee is a fuel pig too!

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Just based on math and knowing that the "reserve" fuel supply is right around 1gal I kinda figured she'll go around 45mi after the indicator kicks on. Having said that, i get super paranoid as soon as it does and get gas at the very next gas station regardless of $/gal thinking "make it make it make it" the whole way...even if its right around the corner.

I'm glad you guys have the jewels to run em that far.
Its neat to see the big numbers.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just based on math and knowing that the "reserve" fuel supply is right around 1gal I kinda figured she'll go around 45mi after the indicator kicks on. Having said that, i get super paranoid as soon as it does and get gas at the very next gas station regardless of $/gal thinking "make it make it make it" the whole way...even if its right around the corner.

I'm glad you guys have the jewels to run em that far.
Its neat to see the big numbers.

I actually prefer to run the bike with 1/3 of a tank or less as I find it handles better when I want to 'play'. But since I mostly use it for commuting I find that I ride most of he week with a full tank and then try to time it so the weekend has the bottom of the tank left. :thumbup: There are others on here who run regularly into the reserve (I think Wolfman does often).

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually prefer to run the bike with 1/3 of a tank or less as I find it handles better when I want to 'play'. But since I mostly use it for commuting I find that I ride most of he week with a full tank and then try to time it so the weekend has the bottom of the tank left. :thumbup: There are others on here who run regularly into the reserve (I think Wolfman does often).

So you fill up Monday morn, then as the weekly commuting and fuel gauge get closer to the end it gets funner. Then the low fuel "buzzer" goes off and tells you the weekend is over. Good way to sum it up?

My work commute is 70miles round trip, so i see the "buzzer" every two days :( I know she gets better MPG's than my cage but it seems worse since the gas station attendants all know me by name and I've only been 2wheelin since mid Feb (2500miles :D)

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So you fill up Monday morn, then as the weekly commuting and fuel gauge get closer to the end it gets funner. Then the low fuel "buzzer" goes off and tells you the weekend is over. Good way to sum it up?

My work commute is 70miles round trip, so i see the "buzzer" every two days :( I know she gets better MPG's than my cage but it seems worse since the gas station attendants all know me by name and I've only been 2wheelin since mid Feb (2500miles :D)

That about sums it up. :D I get to the 'fun' part of the tank just in time for the weekend. You can see in the picture how wet the bike dash is. This week has been not so fun, as it has rained almost every day. I know I live in a coastal city, but I feel like I'm in the UK. At least my Michelin PR2's are getting a workout!

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Haven't had my bike on the road since the first week of march. Sold my exhaust and have the new exhaust system showing up tomorrow.

Filled my truck up tonight. $96US

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
That about sums it up. :D I get to the 'fun' part of the tank just in time for the weekend. You can see in the picture how wet the bike dash is. This week has been not so fun, as it has rained almost every day. I know I live in a coastal city, but I feel like I'm in the UK. At least my Michelin PR2's are getting a workout!

I KNOW. My bike looks like I was off road it is so dirty. luckily we should be getting some sun this weekend.

Hey wolfe we should get together for a ride sometime. I just live in Southdale.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the Passage. We could do the Waverly Road - Shubie - Cole Harbour run. It's a couple hours, and fairly twisty.

We could meet at a Timmie's beforehand :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still filling up the FZ6 on 93 octane for $16 and she goes about 210 miles commuting. :thumbup: