Re-gearing for commuting

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple years ago I changed my sprockets to a 15-48 with a 520 chain. I absolutely loved it and still have that ratio today.

Recently with a new job, new home, and some other commitments, I have a 90 mile a day commute. I am thinking about trying to reduce my fuel cost/consumption by riding. I am thinking to make it better by re-gearing.

I am wondering if anyone else has done this. I am thinking about going to a 16-42/43/44. I would love to do the 14-42, but am worried that may be a bit too much.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Waffles

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One member just went one higher in the front from stock (with a Yamaha genuine sprocket), stock rear sprocket and stated he was getting approx 55 MPG.

IMHO, I'd start wth the larger ft sprocket (you have to do it anyway) and see how the bike feels. I suspect a tooth smaller rear won't hurt performance too much, but I'd do the front first. That change is equivilent to approx (you do the math) 3 teeth on the rear..

If you have a bunch of elevation changes in your commute, the smaller rear sprocket may have you opening the throttle a bit more (not helping with mileage)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just purchased a 17T front sprocket for my stock 46T in my 520 conversion, because I've heard it'll give much better fuel economy.

I travel a similar distance to work as you, so any help will be nice from the 16/46 530.

Just remember, it'll probably feel really slow after a more accelerative sprocket set, as you had.

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
since you had such a low ratio for so long why not go back to stock for a while and give that a try? It should give you much better mileage then what your getting now with out going so big that you loose all of the performace that you are use too.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
since you had such a low ratio for so long why not go back to stock for a while and give that a try? It should give you much better mileage then what your getting now with out going so big that you loose all of the performance that you are use too.

I made the change from stock to current due to damaged to the rear sprocket and the chain. Since I had to replace those three I went to a 520 chain/conversion. I can go back to stock, but if I am going to pay for a change, I might as well get it fully set up for commuting.

From what I have found, most 17 fronts have been 530. I liked the change to the 520 chain. I was also a bit concerned about clearance issues with a 17 front chain. I know it will fit, but will the chain's vibration hit the casing during clutch in/outs?

Thanks for your help guys. Any suggestions on what would be a really good front/back combination?

Travis

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I made the change from stock to current due to damaged to the rear sprocket and the chain. Since I had to replace those three I went to a 520 chain/conversion. I can go back to stock, but if I am going to pay for a change, I might as well get it fully set up for commuting.

From what I have found, most 17 fronts have been 530. I liked the change to the 520 chain. I was also a bit concerned about clearance issues with a 17 front chain. I know it will fit, but will the chain's vibration hit the casing during clutch in/outs?

Thanks for your help guys. Any suggestions on what would be a really good front/back combination?

Travis

Yamaha makes a stock 17 tooth 530 for the bike so there shouldn't be any clearance issues, especially with a 520 chain..

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I get 55mpg with stock gearing, if I run at an actual 70 (on the GPS) or slower.

Your main fight in fuel economy is rising effect of aerodynamic drag as you increase speed. RPMs have very little to do with it, other than possibly reducing vibration and as a result, increasing comfort.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I just found my stock gearing. I got to get a master link, but after that I will see what my Fuel mileage is. After a bit I will change to a smaller rear sprocket.

Looks like I got a forum project. I guess I will start documenting the fuel consumption/speeds/work/etc for future reference by others. Should be fun.

Waffles

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Noob question. If I change just the front what will I see from a 15t vs 17t? I'm looking for mpg gain.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am consistently getting 55mpg on standard chain and sprockets. This is riding in 6th at 90 KPH. I have to say it took me a while to get used to cruising. The new chain set I have ordered has a 45t rear sprocket. I will keep you all posted on the fuel consumption.

Neil

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I am consistently getting 55mpg on standard chain and sprockets. This is riding in 6th at 90 KPH. I have to say it took me a while to get used to cruising. The new chain set I have ordered has a 45t rear sprocket. I will keep you all posted on the fuel consumption.

Neil

Neil,

Are you computing MPG from Imperial gallons? US Gallons contain less fuel, hence lower MPG in comparison. An Imperial gallon is 1.2 US Gallons. I'd expect your MPG to be 20% higher as a result.:confused:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Neil,

Are you computing MPG from Imperial gallons? US Gallons contain less fuel, hence lower MPG in comparison. An Imperial gallon is 1.2 US Gallons. I'd expect your MPG to be 20% higher as a result.:confused:
The proper measurement lol Imperial. It states that in the fuelly sig.

Neil

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The proper measurement lol Imperial. It states that in the fuelly sig.

Neil

So your 55 MPG is equivalent to 45.8 MPG with US Gallons..... Assuming Irish miles are the same as US ones, 8^). Your typical max range before the low fuel warning is probably quite similar to US ranges -- I'm guessing roughly 180 miles?

What does your owner's manual claim, as capacity?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So your 55 MPG is equivalent to 45.8 MPG with US Gallons..... Assuming Irish miles are the same as US ones, 8^). Your typical max range before the low fuel warning is probably quite similar to US ranges -- I'm guessing roughly 180 miles?

What does your owner's manual claim, as capacity?
The best I have had before reserve flashed was 194 miles. Tank capacity is 19.4L, I fill it right up to the level of the filler cap.

Neil