Rear brake failure?

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I was out riding yesterday, put some air in the tire, came back to clean and lube the chain which was making that dry noise. I sprayed the chain heavily, and a quick spray to each axle for some reason, idk, they looked like they wanted it. The second time I went out I noticed I wasn't stopping quickly. The rear brake wasn't working. I tried to lock it up but it wouldn't. My thought was I stupidly got some lube on the rotor and that was causing it, but it seemed to not be working at all. When I got back I checked it and the pad looks fine but it looked like it was engaged. I pumped the pedal and saw no movement. I pushed the pad off the rotor and pumped the brake and saw it move a bit.

What do you think, is it a case of being an idiot and lubing the brake or something else?

S

sm00thpapa

Really don't know, but you may have some air in your hose. You might have to bleed it and see what happens.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
tis odd. if it is air... how would it get in there? if it is air, it would be because of some other issue... which i would assume would be your real issue. i'll sit back and learn. i'm interested at what the issue is.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say if it worked before you lubed the stuff, but not after, i'd say you lubed the rotor...

when the brake pedal is applied, you really shouldn't see much of any movement with everything together. Once apart, you can see the piston come out. I'd get some brake cleaner, clean the rotor really well, maybe sand down the pads a bit to get the grease off of them. If that doesn't work, get new pads and re-clean the rotor.

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
I was out riding yesterday, put some air in the tire, came back to clean and lube the chain which was making that dry noise. I sprayed the chain heavily, and a quick spray to each axle for some reason, idk, they looked like they wanted it. The second time I went out I noticed I wasn't stopping quickly. The rear brake wasn't working. I tried to lock it up but it wouldn't. My thought was I stupidly got some lube on the rotor and that was causing it, but it seemed to not be working at all. When I got back I checked it and the pad looks fine but it looked like it was engaged. I pumped the pedal and saw no movement. I pushed the pad off the rotor and pumped the brake and saw it move a bit.

What do you think, is it a case of being an idiot and lubing the brake or something else?

Do the pads look worn out? I wonder if they are and the level in the reservoir is too low to apply enough pressure to lock the brake up?

Just a thought....

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You got chain lube on the rear brake. I did the same thing. It takes a long time to burn off. If it is a wax type lube, you may have to replace the pads depending on how bad the pad material got contaminated. I took the rear brake off and cleaned the rotor and pads with brake cleaner. I then had to ride around with the rear brake on at low speeds for two miles or so before I noticed any form of stopping power. It took another week of hard use to restore things back to normal.

Chain lubes and brake pads definitely do not mix!:D

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the pads look worn out? I wonder if they are and the level in the reservoir is too low to apply enough pressure to lock the brake up?

Just a thought....

The pads looked okay, I'll check the fluid tonight though. I need to take it to the shop anyway for a check up so if I can't figure it out I'll have them fix it and let me know what the deal was. I never realized how much I used the rear brake until it was gone, I know a lot of riders that pretty much just use the front but MSF got it into my head to always use both.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
You got chain lube on the rear brake. I did the same thing. It takes a long time to burn off. If it is a wax type lube, you may have to replace the pads depending on how bad the pad material got contaminated. I took the rear brake off and cleaned the rotor and pads with brake cleaner. I then had to ride around with the rear brake on at low speeds for two miles or so before I noticed any form of stopping power. It took another week of hard use to restore things back to normal.

Chain lubes and brake pads definitely do not mix!:D

That's what I was afraid of!!! I used liquid wrench chain lube. I'll try the brake cleaner and riding the brakes method, it would be a shame to replace because there's a lot left on it.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, I think you lubed your pads too. That sucks. You'll probably had to replace, but before you do get some simple green, pure 100%, uncut and see it you can remove the lube. Simple Green will probably remove the lube. After you use the SG you'll need to wash the pads again with plain soap and water to get all of the SG off. It's worth a try.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Simple Green will probably remove the lube. After you use the SG you'll need to wash the pads again with plain soap and water to get all of the SG off. It's worth a try.

SG will work too. The chlorinated brake cleaners (the ones not legal in California) do a decent job of removing/dispersing oils.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with the others...

I would just pull the caliper off, clean/scrub the pads, clean/scrub the rotor, and then give it another shot. you might even need fine sandpaper like someone else mentioned.

The rear brake is a simple system...you'll be able to fix it on your own (and save some $$$) by process of elimination. Good luck and post up.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I would go on a ride and keep pressing the rear brake to get it hot enough to burn any left over lub... normal feel should come back pretty quickly.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I would go on a ride and keep pressing the rear brake to get it hot enough to burn any left over lub... normal feel should come back pretty quickly.

I did some of this last night and got some friction back but still can't lock it up. That chain lube is quality stuff! I did pick up some simple green but if it's a nice out after work as it is now I think I'll opt for the second attempt at burning it off.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it's definitely way better now and I went the lazy route of burning it off. I think I'll just spray some simple green with them in place tonight too though to maybe help out the process a little. The pads are thick so I'm not worried about wearing them out too much by doing it this way. My advice- just be careful with the chain lube.

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my rear tire recently and got some axle grease on the rear pads. It took about 100 mi to wear off (with me applying rear brake all the time)...FYI It tooo felt like it didn't work, wouldn't lock etc...