Replaced everything but my fz6 wont start

vanheckekyle

Reaction score
Visit site
So let me start with this I picked up the bike for little money its a 2004 FZ6 not running looks like a lot of fun though.

I did know that the fuel pump was bad just from looking at it. I pulled the tank removed the rust using electrolosys, replaced the fuel pump, replaced the throttle body and added new injectors, all in all it should start. I put everything back together turn the key on and nothing... tried repriming... nothing tried push starting... nothing. however it is turning over and gives signs of it starting by sputtering, lights kick on ect... if I pour starting fluid in the throttle body it starts for a longer period.

Now... My fuel pump does wind up pretty fierce so I dont think that is the problem... My batterie is new so I dont see it being the battery... Spark plugs are old the original ones as far as i know I did pull one but havent checked the spark have some coming in tomorrow, My throttle cable is loose but will be tightening that tonight, lets see the bike has 8700 miles on it and no error codes. Fuses are all legit... Am i missing something here? Any pointers or suggestions would be awesome. I suspect its still fuel delivery. So to recall last nights events I only had a gallon of fresh high octane gas in the tank, did not use a fuel treatment and I am hoping once I fill the tank and treat the gas it will start up. What do you guys think? :spank:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the prior history with the bike? Did it sit for months, years, etc? Reason the PO sold it?

You sound like your on the right track, a compression check would be the next thing to do. Its possible the PO, jumped a tooth on the timing chain (cam to crankshaft), that would explain the trying to start but not quite. Perhaps that's why he sold it. Removing the valve cover and the rt side cam chain cover, checking the alignment dots would tell if its on or not..

Also, if the engine is flooded, hold the THOTTLE WIDE OPEN and crank for 10-15 seconds (again holding it wide open). You may have to do this for several times (again, that's if its flooded).

There was a re-call for the TPS for that year bike. Its still honored by yamaha and would be replaced free of charge if not done already. Call your Yamaha dealership, give them the VIN# and they should be able to tell you if its been replaced or not..

BTW, were you able to clean out the fuel lines of any left over rust that may have NOW lodged in the new injectors/main fuel rail?

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^^^^ What Scott said. :) If you're spraying the intake and it's lighting up it sounds like fuel delivery.
:welcome:to this fine forum!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There also should be a fitting/port on the left (port) side of the fuel rail for checking fuel pressure. The pump may sound good (we had another member with a believed known good pump, that didn't have enough pressure) but it would also explain if your not getting enough fuel.

I mention that mostly for flushing purposes, but with either a homemade adapter or the yamaha tool, you can check the fuel pressure you SHOULD HAVE.

Your shop manual show's where it hooks up, PSI's, etc...:thumbup:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
If there was a lot of rust in the tank, it's possible the pump/filter is plugged and you're not actually getting any/enough fuel to do anything.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If there was a lot of rust in the tank, it's possible the pump/filter is plugged and you're not actually getting any/enough fuel to do anything.

He mentioned in the first post he replaced the fuel pump (I assumed with a new pump but maybe not)..

For the Op, there is a filter inside the fuel pump (not replaceable but somewhat cleanable), see below:

Last edited:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
He mentioned in the first post he replaced the fuel pump (I assumed with a new pump but maybe not)..

For the Op, there is a filter inside the fuel pump (not replaceable but somewhat cleanable), see below:

Good point. With a "new"born at home (almost 12 weeks now), sleep is something I've long forgotten. I need to learn to stop posting to forums before noon, when the coffee finally kicks in.

vanheckekyle

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the prior history with the bike? Did it sit for months, years, etc? Reason the PO sold it?

You sound like your on the right track, a compression check would be the next thing to do. Its possible the PO, jumped a tooth on the timing chain (cam to crankshaft), that would explain the trying to start but not quite. Perhaps that's why he sold it. Removing the valve cover and the rt side cam chain cover, checking the alignment dots would tell if its on or not..

Also, if the engine is flooded, hold the THOTTLE WIDE OPEN and crank for 10-15 seconds (again holding it wide open). You may have to do this for several times (again, that's if its flooded).

There was a re-call for the TPS for that year bike. Its still honored by yamaha and would be replaced free of charge if not done already. Call your Yamaha dealership, give them the VIN# and they should be able to tell you if its been replaced or not..

BTW, were you able to clean out the fuel lines of any left over rust that may have NOW lodged in the new injectors/main fuel rail?

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Bike had to of sat for 5 years. The intake valves look like crum. It has 8700 miles You know I am hoping I wasnt the sucker that picked up the pump that was working but not supplying enough pressure. Ebay is great sometimes and other times not so great. I am thinking that my injector rails have air in them... any way to allievate that? The guy that sold me the pump sold it as new. Thanks for all the help I read on a forum that someone cleaned the coils and got a reaction. Im gonna try that next. The old gas and the old owner trying to start the 4 years of sitting fuel in the bike may have fouled up the plugs. Hopefully will get all this done tonight ill post results.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This might be useful.... You can test the injectors or the coils and plugs. I'll add the test # below in blue.

From Post # 33
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html#post554284

HOW TO TEST YOU COILS AND ECM:

Our bikes have the option of being placed into a diagnostic mode that will trigger each of the coils to deliver 5 sparks. You can use this to test the coils and look for arc over without the engine actually running so you can HEAR electrical leakage should it exist.

** YOU MUST insert a spark plug. **
** YOU MUST ground the body of the spark plug to the engine block. **
An alligator clip to the plugs body and the other end clamped to a bare metal engine surface should be adequate.

DIAGNOSTIC MODE, Setting the diagnostic mode
1. Turn the main switch to “OFF” and set the engine stop switch to “RUN”.
2. Disconnect the wire harness coupler from the fuel pump.
3. Simultaneously press and hold the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons, turn the main switch to “ON”, and continue to press the buttons for 8 seconds or more.
4. Press the “SELECT” button to select the diagnostic monitoring mode “dIAG”.
5. After selecting “dIAG”, simultaneously press the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons for 2 seconds or more to execute the selection.
6. Set the engine stop switch to “OFF”.
7. Select the diagnostic code number that applies to the item that was verified with the fault code number by pressing the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons.
8. Verify the operation of the sensor or actuator.
• Sensor operation
The data representing the operating conditions of the sensor appears on the trip LCD.
• Actuator operation
Set the engine stop switch to “RUN” to operate the actuator.
If the engine stop switch is set to “RUN”, set it to “STOP”, and then set it to “RUN” again.
9. Turn the main switch to “OFF” to cancel the diagnostic mode.

NOTE:
• To decrease the selected diagnostic code number, press the “RESET” button. Press the “RESET”
button for 1 second or longer to automatically decrease the diagnostic code numbers.
• To increase the selected diagnostic code number, press the “SELECT” button. Press the
“SELECT” button for 1 second or longer to automatically increase the diagnostic code numbers.

Sensor code from operation table:
30: Ignition coil #1, #4
31: Ignition coil #2, #3
36: Injector #1, #4
37: Injector #2, #3

Check this while here....
01: Throttle position sensor (throttle angle)

See FSM for other sensors which can be tested in diagnostic mode.

36: Injector #1, #4
37: Injector #2, #3

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My fuel injectors were stuck shut the last time I took my bike out of storage. I had the exact same issue with the pump working fine, but no fuel reaching the cylinders.

All it took was to pull the fuel rail and squirt a couple of drops of diesel (transmission fluid or fuel system cleaner works too) right in the top of the injectors and let it sit a few minutes.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Forgot to mention; you could apply 12vdc to the injector(s) itself, (unplug it so the power doesn't feed back to the ECU).
With key off, you should be able to hear it click when touched with 12v.
With key on, fuel tank connected, it should let air out and fuel in.

Don't get crazy here as it could start working and flood a cylinder with gas. Hint; a second is LOOOOOOONG time in injector world and fuel delivery! :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My fuel injectors were stuck shut the last time I took my bike out of storage. I had the exact same issue with the pump working fine, but no fuel reaching the cylinders.

All it took was to pull the fuel rail and squirt a couple of drops of diesel (transmission fluid or fuel system cleaner works too) right in the top of the injectors and let it sit a few minutes.

His first post states he replaced the injectors but thats a really good idea re fixing sticking injectors! Gotta tuck that away!:thumbup:

vanheckekyle

Reaction score
Visit site
The diagnostic tester is fabulous... Plugs are good, injectors work, tps is 17-100 within spec. Everything looks fine. I dont have any fault codes. If its not a defective fuel pump it would be a mystery to me... Anybody ride a FZ6 in Phoenix? Mind letting me test your tank on my bike ill fill it up with gas! :BLAA:
My wifes pretty much over this venture I think she feels like I have a new girlfriend but what she doesnt understand is once it starts its only gonna get worse :spank: Thanks for all the help guys! Im testing the fuel pump pressure tomorrow. I pulled it off today and it spurts but I dont think there is enough spurt behind it to cause the injectors to spray.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt its your non starting issue BUT, even thou the TPS passes your cold test (and you need to check ALL the #'s inbetween, no skipping, jumping, etc)

You need to contact Yamaha re the re-call and rule the TPS out with having a known, good, replacement installed (if not already).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you found the problem - low pressure. If the motor runs and it has no pressure, likely something in the pressure relief valve (debris), so it doesn't seal the valve and build pressure. It comes apart and can be cleaned.

Id start there.

vanheckekyle

Reaction score
Visit site
New Intank Fuel Pump 2001 2004 Yamaha YZFR1 YZF R1 1000 2002 2012 | eBay

Cool well for anyone that needs a replacement fuel pump I picked one up from highflowfuel on ebay for $40 I ordered it thursday around noon and recieved it saturday at noon. I was thrilled used the old assembly unit and after prime saturday at 1:00 my bike started right up comes with the filter you need as well. Great buy im very thankfull. Back on the road again.
Thanks for all the help guys! Need to get the throttle bodies synced next. Anyone know what tool to use and where to get it on the cheap? .

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
New Intank Fuel Pump 2001 2004 Yamaha YZFR1 YZF R1 1000 2002 2012 | eBay

Cool well for anyone that needs a replacement fuel pump I picked one up from highflowfuel on ebay for $40 I ordered it thursday around noon and recieved it saturday at noon. I was thrilled used the old assembly unit and after prime saturday at 1:00 my bike started right up comes with the filter you need as well. Great buy im very thankfull. Back on the road again.
Thanks for all the help guys! Need to get the throttle bodies synced next. Anyone know what tool to use and where to get it on the cheap? .

Love my Morgan Cartune, paid for itself many times over (no fluids, no adjusting, no maintainance):

www.carbtune.com

Last edited: