Riding 2up on FZ6

rsmith2072

2007 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6. I am 5'10" and 145lbs. My wife is about 150lbs. She always wants me to take her on a ride. I have taken her on 2 rides since I have had the bike. I really don't like riding 2up because you just don't have as much control of the bike. So I always talk my way out of it and end up riding by myself. Then I feel guilty. I was just wondering how many of you have ridden 2up and how often? How safe do you think it is? I have been riding for about 20 years but really only by myself not 2up. I have been thinking about a second bike just for riding 2up. If so I might buy the Yamaha Bolt. Any suggestions?

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6. I am 5'10" and 145lbs. My wife is about 150lbs. She always wants me to take her on a ride. I have taken her on 2 rides since I have had the bike. I really don't like riding 2up because you just don't have as much control of the bike. So I always talk my way out of it and end up riding by myself. Then I feel guilty. I was just wondering how many of you have ridden 2up and how often? How safe do you think it is? I have been riding for about 20 years but really only by myself not 2up. I have been thinking about a second bike just for riding 2up. If so I might buy the Yamaha Bolt. Any suggestions?

Im not a big fan of riding 2up either. Obviously less comfortable, and an in trained partner can move at the worst times. I usually tell my fg no when she asks, but the other day I took her on an he ride. I'm over 200lbs and my gf is probably close to 150. So obviously it will be fine since you guys weigh a good 50lbs less.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Last summer my GF and I did a bit of 2 up riding. We probably put 2,500 or so miles on over the summer. I'm 180lbs and shes about 135 or so. Once she learned to stay back on the passenger seat and not drift forward too much we were good to go. she usually just rested her hands on my hips or torso. She'd use the grab bars every now and then, but she didnt feel that safe doing it and the whole bike seemed a little unsettled to me.
When we'd hit the twisties I'd scoot forward and she'd more or less rest against my back and I could corner just about as well as when I was on the bike myself.

This year she wanted her own set of wheels. So she picked up a Suzuki GS500F.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I take the GLW out about once a month, we dont do a lot of miles as she doesnt like freeways and spirited riding, so no twisties.
We will go out for lunch somewhere or a coffee. She finds it uncomfortable after about 45 minutes and likes to be able to have a good stretch when we stop.

she had lid jacket and gloves, I bought her boots and kevlar jeans so she has all the gear and I don't compromise now that she has it, it must be worn!

I ride pretty cautiously when she is on board. I know this sounds mean but she is the back seat driver! she watches for everything even tho I have probably seen it 2-3 seconds earlier. I made the mistake early on of saying so and she was a bit haugty about it so now I thank her for paying attention and its all good. And in reality two sets of eyes is better than one! I only catch her out now and then by taking off when she isn't hanging on (not on purpose).
It is a different ride and you have to take that into consideration with acceleration and braking distances and the extra shift in mass and pressure on your knee grip of the tank and wrists on the bars
I'm about 180 lb and kez is about 130. adding the extra weight affects the ride dramatically and yes any shift in weight at the wrong time is diabolical

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously less comfortable, and an in trained partner can move at the worst times.

So train them, and there's plenty of room for two on an FZ6. If I can load a bike up like this:
edudamys.jpg

and still have space and weight allowance for my Mrs, just taking a pillion is no problem.

The difference between a passenger on a bike and one in a car is that you've got to take responsibility for a passenger on a bike. Some simple steps to a happy day out 2up are:
1) get the bike set up. Really simple on an FZ6. Rear shock pre-load up, tyre pressure up, a little extra chain slack.
2) get the pillion set up. A full set of kit will make them feel significantly safer and more confident. I don't get on my bike with anything less than full kit, neither does the person on the back seat.
3) educate the pillion. Explain the entire process from getting on, to setting off, speeding up, slowing down, cornering, when they can move and when they need to sit still.
4) give them time to get comfortable. Let them sit on the bike with no helmet or gloves to get in the way and the engine off. Let them try out all the different grip positions. Me and the Mrs like to use one of those love handle belts. It gives me the confidence of knowing she's leaning with me and the bike in the corners, gives her the confidence of holding on to me, but puts a little extra space between us.
5) repeat 3.
6) set up a system of communication. If I pull her knee in, "get ready". If I tap her knee, "you ok?". If I thump her knee, "sit still!". One tap on my shoulder, "I'm ok". Two taps on my shoulder, "I'm nervous, go easy". Repeated taps on my shoulder, "stop soon, I need to pee etc". Repeated taps on my helmet, "I'm panicked stop now".
7) set off and don't ride like an idiot. If someone's never been on a bike before they're going to think it's fast regardless of how fast you ride. If you start clashing helmets, that's your fault for not riding smooth enough. If they start sliding down the seat onto your back, that's your fault for not breaking smooth enough. If they start panicking in corners and making the bike stand up, that's your fault for riding to hard and scaring them.
8) when you get off give them a proper debrief. Tell them what you didn't like, tell them what felt good. Ask them what they didn't like and what felt good to them. Then next time you can step up the riding a bit as you'll both have more confidence.

The first time out my mrs fought the first four corners. I'd lean the bike in, get it lined up, then the bike would stand up again. That's why the first half hour of our ride was at no more than 30. Once she was settled in, I could put the bike into a corner and leave it there. She holds it by leaning with the bike, while I comb my hair, read a book, ponder the meaning of life. When I want it to straighten up, I just roll on the throttle and it stands up again. It's that easy.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site

My wife and I have ridden two up a ton together, first on a suzuki bandit and now on the fz6. Many multi day trips even. It's a great experience for both of us, but it definitely requires some conscious effort to adjust your riding style when two up. When solo I ride pretty quick and may brake or accelerate aggressively. This can push the fz6 solo, so two up it's a definite no go. When she's on the bike I dial it back and focus on being smooth and predictable.

When we first started riding together, most of the issues were alleviated by communicating before the ride what to do and what to expect. Having her use the grab handles to hold on during braking or acceleration, or putting her hand son the tank to hold herself up while you're breaking.

The bike definitely isn't the best option for two up, but it's certainly capable of it and can do it well to a point.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
just take the pillion pegs off, that'll solve any problems and buy her some lessons to get her own bike :D

Otherwise it's practice makes prefect and riding smooth as ctbandit says.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't enjoy riding 2-up much either but I don't think it's that much harder to control once you get above 15 mph or so. Just make sure she learns to keep upright and not to lean to the sides to see better, at least not at low speeds! And if I have to hit the brakes, grab the rails, not me!

That said, since I also have a big touring cruiser with passenger back rest, I can ride for 30 minutes and forget she's even back there till she taps me on the helmet to point out something and I about freak out!

rsmith2072

2007 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
just take the pillion pegs off, that'll solve any problems and buy her some lessons to get her own bike :D

Otherwise it's practice makes prefect and riding smooth as ctbandit says.

Yeah I tried that one first. I have thought her to ride a dirt bike already. But she really likes to ride with me.

You guys helped me out a bunch. I will just keep riding short trips with her. Maybe she will start to feel more comfortable and lean with me. It's when we are making slow turns is when it's the hardest. Once up to speed it feels easy until she decides to look over one side of my shoulder.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's when we are making slow turns is when it's the hardest. Once up to speed it feels easy until she decides to look over one side of my shoulder.

See if MSF in you area offers 2UP BRC2. You'll get to practice things like u-turns and maximum braking, while coaches watch you and give you pointers.

She *should* always look over your shoulder in the direction of the turn. She should never look over your opposite shoulder, as in: if you're turning/leaning right, she should not be looking left or looking over your left shoulder. Her head turns need to match yours.

When riding with a good, experienced passenger, you should have no less control of the bike than you do riding solo. Of course, as has been stated, riding style has to be adjusted significantly... the smoother the better.. account for longer stopping distances and slower acceleration. Crank the shock preload to 6 or 7 and remember to up the tire pressure.. I believe FZ6 is 33/36 for under 200lbs and 36/42 for over 200 (check the manual).

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with my gf pillion quite a lot. Going back to university, I sacrificed my car in favour of my bike, so it's now our only mode of transport. She has full kit, and I expect her to wear it. Always helmet, gloves, jacket. (If she doesn't feel like it I give her "the stare", then she suddenly feels like it...) anything out of our little village and she wears trousers too.

We use it to drive to the shops quite often (well it is our "car" after all).

We do long journeys too (whenever I say long, I imply >200km), she's fine with that too, though her comfort level has increased significantly with the addition of a top-box she can lean on.

Generally speaking, she has to abide by three rules. She can either sit completely still, or lean with me. One or the other. And two taps on her thigh means "we're going for it" (This is a very useful signal when we leave a toll booth on the french motorways!) Otherwise, she looks ahead too, and communication is quite natural without words.

I don't mind having her there at all. Of course it upsets the handling of the bike, but generally speaking, her presence makes me ride a little bit more safely, which is no bad thing. :thumb up:

CB