Riding in cold weather.

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
Preface. I have been riding shot distances for a while now (5 miles or less.) in the cold and it has not been a big problem.
I wanted to go for a long cruise today along the coast. I woke up early in the morning and got my camera mounted and geared up. I then went outside and fired my bike up and took off. At about the 8mi marker I realized that my feet and hands were a little chilly. When I hit the 20mi mark my hands were so cold that it felt like they were being dipped into boiling water. I don't think my hands have ever been that cold before. Keep in mind that its not super cold here in Louisiana right now, I think it is about 40-45ºF. Well after I couldn't take the cold on my hands anymore I then realized my biggest mistake of all. I still had to ride home...
Needless to say I was a human Popsicle by the time I got inside. I think it was more of a waddle or the little green army men walking style. The bad part was my chest was warm, my legs got a little chilly but nothing bad. My feet were cold but it was not too bad. My hands though,,,, My god were they cold. Next time, I will be better prepared....

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Get yourself some heated gloves, you'll wonder why you never bought them sooner!
If funds are good you can get socks and jackets too and be toasty warm :D

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
My jacket was good enough to keep my torso plenty warm enough. I do need to invest in some heated gloves for this coming winter as I plan on riding year round. Winter is almost over here though and I see no real need to purchase them now and have to pack them up in about a month. I will just take cruises on days where the temps are at least in the mid 60's or higher. The gear I have now does me well for the short ride I have to and from work and close runs.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not only do I recommend heated gloves, but also a heated jacket. The jacket will reduce the amount of layering you will need. You don't want to become too thick. Also some sort of neck warmer or the ones that cover your head and neck.

If there is a Cycle Gear store around your area, you can find everything you need there. Can't imagine it get too cold in Louisiana, but you can also get hand covers. With heated gloves and the hand covers, I can ride in single digits with no issues.

20131030_182028_zpse1512435.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not only do I recommend heated gloves, but also a heated jacket. The jacket will reduce the amount of layering you will need. You don't want to become too thick. Also some sort of neck warmer or the ones that cover your head and neck.

If there is a Cycle Gear store around your area, you can find everything you need there. Can't imagine it get too cold in Louisiana, but you can also get hand covers. With heated gloves and the hand covers, I can ride in single digits with no issues.

What he said! I've never used hand covers, but with heated jacket and gloves, I can ride for a couple of hours with temps in mid 30's without getting painfully cold.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make frequent stops to warm up as much as possible.. easy if there are places along the route where you can get a hot beverage.. or at least go inside to warm up.

Pushing through hypothermia is not a good idea.

DWisen

Reaction score
Visit site
Call me a glutton for punishment or whatever but I just got back from my 2nd cruise today. I couldn't help it. It is such a pretty day minus the cold temp that I just had to go for another ride. I did however wear gloves more suited for the ride this time. All in all it was a good day. Blah

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I rode in freezing fog, a real pea souper that froze on everything :eek: (the worst ride this year) but luckily I have heated grips and warm riding gear, although I'm looking into heated gloves at the moment :thumbup:.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I rode in freezing fog, a real pea souper that froze on everything :eek: (the worst ride this year) but luckily I have heated grips and warm riding gear, although I'm looking into heated gloves at the moment [emoji106].
I find it easier to take the frostbite on the nose and leave my visor open in that stuff. It's the worst weather to ride in, hate the stuff.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're in Louisiana; the humidity at 45 can be MUCH worse than a dry 10 F, believe me I know.
I've never had heated gloves, but my new bike has handguards and heated grips, and the cold just never bothers me anymore (my feet have never had an issue, in fact I usually ride in my summer boots year-round).
Never pass up a chance to take a break, either from the cold or the heat. I once stopped at a Denny's, only 26 miles from home, just to rehydrate and cool off (I had four glasses of iced tea, an ice cream banana split, and took an hour to cool off, and dipped my t-shirt in the Men's room sink before completing the journey).

Note: a sheet of aluminum foil under your coat can help in really desperate situations, too; any cafe would probably give you a piece if you ask nice.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
My jacket was good enough to keep my torso plenty warm enough. I do need to invest in some heated gloves for this coming winter as I plan on riding year round. Winter is almost over here though and I see no real need to purchase them now and have to pack them up in about a month. I will just take cruises on days where the temps are at least in the mid 60's or higher. The gear I have now does me well for the short ride I have to and from work and close runs.

On one of my ladies motorcycle websites someone recommended wearing latex gloves under your bike gloves. It's suppose to help. I haven't tried it out though - let us know if you try it and if it helps. My Hubby bought me heated gloves; however, he hasn't wired them up yet. Maybe I need to threaten to take it to the Triumph dealer to get it wired. That'll motivate him... (cheap, cheap) Cold hands are the worst!! I understand completely.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Silk glove liners are amazing under you riding gloves with out adding bulk to a point, then it's time for real winter gloves.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I rode in freezing fog, a real pea souper that froze on everything :eek: (the worst ride this year) but luckily I have heated grips and warm riding gear, although I'm looking into heated gloves at the moment :thumbup:.

I find it easier to take the frostbite on the nose and leave my visor open in that stuff. It's the worst weather to ride in, hate the stuff.

I agree it is the worst weather to ride in, and after constantly wiping my visor with the rubber wiper on my glove I gave up and opened the visor, . After about 35 mins the dense fog became more patchy so I could speed up more but when I put my visor back down it had frozen moisture on the inside of the visor, so I just sucked it up and left the visor open, but it was not fun :eek:

Sorry for thread jacking :ban: :spank: ;)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had good success with the Cycle Gear Freeze Out stuff. The glove liners help but hands still get cold, the Freeze Out jacket is good under my motorcycle jacket - don't need much layering with it. For the helmet have a breathie (think that's the name of it) which basically seals you face off at the nose so that your breath goes out the bottom of your helmet. Takes a bit of time to adjust but keeps the vizor fogging down.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
DWisen, theres your problem your butt naked no wonder you're cold

Get some friggin clothes on man! If you won't do it for your comfort-do it for ours!!!

seriously

listen up to the advice above, those folks know a bit when it comes to battling cold

btw welcome to this funny knowledable little forum, you found the bestest place for interesting folk with FZ6 stuff in their veins

ilovemotocicleta

Reaction score
Visit site
I use waterproof overpants, a leather jacket, winter gloves, and for visor fogging I use pinlock inserts (never fogs). If its really cold I use non latex gloves (can't remember name) like you use changing oil, and Tecniche heating vest (it has pockets for hand warmers). The vest works so good I was riding to moms in 30 degree weather and had to stand up to cool down cause I started sweating.

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in La. too and got some Tusk muffs for the bike with some cheap handguards from Amazon. Works wonders for keeping the wind off of your hands. Don't think I've seen you riding around where I am...all of the guys I've seen have their clothes on :thumbup: