Riding in Rain

KDN

Reaction score
Visit site
New rider here...for rides in rain does anyone put any special product on their helmet shield / visor to help bead the water off?

Thanks for your thoughts

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Others have done it, but I would advise against doing so. I'm talking about Rain X. It's meant for glass, not your polycarbonate visor.

Here's a trick, if you're going fast enough, whenever the water begins to build up, just turn your head sideways like you're looking left or right and the water will roll right off.

Also try to avoid riding behind other vehicles where you pick up all their wash. Better to fall way back or stay out in front like a thoroughbred horse on a sloppy track.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Sorry I'm just being a dumb@ss here but, it seem ironic to have a guy from Vegas giving a guy from Canada advice about riding in the rain.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Not only visors but windshields, too. Use lemon pledge if you're going to clean and polish your visors or windshields.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Others have done it, but I would advise against doing so. I'm talking about Rain X. It's meant for glass, not your polycarbonate visor.

Here's a trick, if you're going fast enough, whenever the water begins to build up, just turn your head sideways like you're looking left or right and the water will roll right off.

Also try to avoid riding behind other vehicles where you pick up all their wash. Better to fall way back or stay out in front like a thoroughbred horse on a sloppy track.

I figured that one out when i was practicing on the little Honda Rebel, Was raining and i was following my dad in his truck (permit driving) and when we got where we were going he was like, " the only thing that concerned me is that you looked to the right for about 6 seconds then to the left, that'll get you killed on a bike" I explained to him i was still looking down the road but getting the rain off, hes like- oh ok that makes sense, you had me worried there! lol.... but yeah that technique works great

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a can of Plexus at your dealer and spray it on your visor and wipe off with clean, soft towel. It physically fills in the pores in the plastic surface making it super slick to water, it will run off very quickly. Plexus is also great for any plastic surface (helmets, body parts on bike,bike windshield, inside of car windows with tint, etc. It was designed for aircraft canopies. It works and is a must have on any bike owners shelf.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a can of Plexus at your dealer and spray it on your visor and wipe off with clean, soft towel. It physically fills in the pores in the plastic surface making it super slick to water, it will run off very quickly. Plexus is also great for any plastic surface (helmets, body parts on bike,bike windshield, inside of car windows with tint, etc. It was designed for aircraft canopies. It works and is a must have on any bike owners shelf.

yeah plexus works well. you can buy it from West Marine, too.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if this works with all windscreens, but here's my "trick". I have a Puig Double Bubble screen. Once I hit 40+MPH, I'll just tuck in and get close to the screen, and the turbulence just pushes the water straight down off the visor! It works fast too. Good for light, on and off rain situations. Figured it out by accident one morning when I got caught by surprise by some rain and fog. I was tucking through the patches of fog, in order to minimize the water beading on the visor, and was all "Hey! the water just flew right off!". lol

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Seattle and ride through a lot of rain and the suggestions everyone has made all work great. I've used the tuck method and the turn your head and they both work. I have also used rain-x on my old helmet and it worked great. 3 years on the same shield with no problems. I had heard people against using it but have had no issues, just my own personal experience. I would say that turning your head every once in awhile works the best if you are against using any type of product.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use & recommend this :thumbup: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/EK-10003C-Cat-Crap/dp/B002ZNA488]Amazon.com: Cat Crap: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] works a treat with fogging & the water beads straight off...:rockon:

cormu

Reaction score
Visit site
I use & recommend this :thumbup: Amazon.com: Cat Crap: Sports & Outdoors works a treat with fogging & the water beads straight off...:rockon:

Ya thats good stuff I used to use it untill i got a pin-lock TM visor which is way better a must have afor all bikers. Unfortunatlly the cat crap doesnt last long and after each ride u need to re-apply it also there is some 'halo' effect with lights and things as it is a soap based product but if u apply it thinlly enough this can be reduced significantlly.

I use a full rain suit when i ride so if i get caught in rain i get home compleatlly dry.