Safe to use the carwash?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks... my normal post ride maintenance includes bug removal by wiping the bike down with a damp papertowel. This works great, and allows me to keep the fairing, windscreen and body work looking great.

Sadly, this cleaning method has allowed bugs and road grime to accumulate in my radiator and the front side of the engine block.

Is it safe to use the self-serve type car wash wand to spray the bugs from my radiator? Obviously, I don't want to damage my radiator, but I would like to remove the bugs and keep my bike looking great.

Any input would be most appreciated!

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the car wash all the time seeing i dont have a hose of my own. All i do is try not to get real close to the HOD or the wires. Its built to be ridden in the rain how much damage could be caused by the hose if you are careful?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the car wash but when they hook that thing to my wheel and start pulling me through those whirling brushes, some times I forget to put my face shield down and I end up spitting out a lot of soap bubbles...

Last edited:

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the self serve car washes, I just dont squeeze the trigger on the spray nozzle. Seems to do a good job this way and I dont have to worry about getting to close to the bike.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the car but when they hook that thing to my wheel and start pulling me through those whirling brushes, some times I forget to put my face shield down and I end up spitting out a lot of soap bubbles...

Therein lies your problem. You need to go gearless and get a free shower for yourself. :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of these days, I'm going to go through one of those touchless car washes with my raingear on. I'm trying to think of something that will damage the bike from the car wash but I'm drawing blanks.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
The key is to use low pressure. Keep from spraying on high and you'll be fine.
Also keep the nozzle from getting too close to anything that has seals. Forks, brake calipers, speedo, chain, etc. all have rubber seals that can get water in them and cause damage.
For the radiator, try to also spray from the block to the front, that helps get bugs out easier.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember also - DO NOT spray into your tail pipes!! Seems obvious, but with all that water flying around in the carwash it could happen. You can buy rubber plugs for them at some shops, depending on the pipes.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys. The remainder of my bike is clean since I wipe everything down after each ride. The only thing that's dirty is the radiator and the front side of the engine block. I'll try to keep the pressure low, and the flow as indirect as possible.

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also use ACF50 on my rad that way the bugs and dirt etc do not stick directly to the metal and they come off easily with just an open hose

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't use paper towels they will but small scratches in your paint. After awhile, they will make you paint look like crap. Buy some micro-fiber towels you will be much happier.