Sat on a FZ1 Today, Ohh Boy!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Wonder how the MPG compares in real terms....

Ouch.. that fuel economy is... Well, just ouch.

The FZ1 is a great bike. I had the opportunity to ride my buddy's '09 and the bike was just immaculate. It's so stable and smooth and POWERFUL.

My Fz6 would get between 41-45 mpg. My Fz1 gets between 25-33 mpg. I'm not very easy going if you know what I mean. My average is 28 mpg, but my car was 18-20mpg, so it's stilll a plus. I definitely get lower mileage than most the people on the Fz1 forum because of the way I ride.

WTF dude? I pay 740/ year (full coverage) on my '09 FZ6. I'm 25, with only one recent speeding ticket, (2 years ago)..

Thats through Progressive... my original insurer, American Family, quoted me: "We dont insure kids on bikes"

I'm in Canada not the US... Most insurance companys here that do bikes list the FZ1 as a sport bike where as the FZ6 considered a "standard" to them if you will... Sportbikes get a hefty 50% surcharge... Some companys won't even insure sport bikes period, no matter the premium...

I had to go with All State because, well nobody else would insure me. In 2010 I had 3 speeding tickets (2 flippin photo radars), and an at fault accident (I'm not a complete idiot btw, I was at war in court with me ex fighting for custody of my son, that can really distract a person from their life, and I pray nobody I know ever has to go through it). I'm 34 and single. My Fz6 I was paying $1300 for the year. My Fz1 I am paying about $1600. All state considers both the Fz6 and Fz1 Standard motorcycles, but the difference from 600cc to 1000cc is what counts. My agent said that if I can make it November without any infractions the rates will drop in half. I have comprehensive including theft (which is big in AZ), a $1000 deductible and $10k Medpay. If I raised the deductible more and dropped the medpay I'd save another $20 a month, but to me it was the best balance of everything.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I switched over to All State from Progressive (everything, car, three bikes, and renters insurance). Just my car insurance went down ~$400. For my '06 FZ6 and my Ninja 500 I pay 75/year (minimum allowed by law). I have more coverage on my S3 because I have a loan on it. Progressive was really fkin me. I even have a dwi on my record. I was only able to buy the S3 because I saved so much switching over.

All said and done, I'm paying about the same to All State for three bikes, a car, and renters insurance as I was paying Progressive for JUST MY CAR. (ninja and fizzy used to be with Nationwide).

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I sat on a new FZ1 today and I have to say I liked it allot. I thought the bike would feel heavier than the FZ6 but it didn't and I quite like the seating position. The front end seemed to stand a little taller and I like the two seat arrangement rather than the one. Bike also seemed wider. Price was around 10g for either the white 2012 or cobalt 2013. The salesman also showed me a used B-King but to me the Suzuki seemed cheaper and didn't have the fit and finish the Yamaha had. Got talking to the salesman about how riders in Florida don't need insurance to ride a motorcycle. I was stunned but because of the no fault if you crash it's your loss and if there is another party involved their insurance covers the loss. Then he shows me a brand 2012 R1 that a kid had bought in the corner that the front end was tore off. The guy had just bought the bike and when he was leaving the dealership he got on the throttle, front end went up and the bike went sideways and smashed into a tree. He never made it out of the parking lot and didn't have insurance. The bike is sitting in the corner and he's making payments on it.

As for an FZ1 come spring I'll probably be selling the FZ6 and buying a FZ1. The bike felt amazing and I didn't even ride it. :D

Oh yes, she's a bone givin machine hein! I sat a few time at the stealership... fit like a glove. The FZ8 is quite a nice bike too. Waiting on some good review of the new updated suspension and ECU to make my mind. Might get a new ride later on this year... just bought a new cage (wasn't plan :( )

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yes, she's a bone givin machine hein! I sat a few time at the stealership... fit like a glove. The FZ8 is quite a nice bike too. Waiting on some good review of the new updated suspension and ECU to make my mind. Might get a new ride later on this year... just bought a new cage (wasn't plan :( )

I think they are just throwing the Fz1 suspension (forks and rear shock) onto the Fz8. They should have done it in the first place, but I think Yamaha gets really cheap with the Fazer line.

You will have to decide if you want a naked or half-faired bike. I have an Fz1 that I put down, took off the fairing and now it has the naked conversion and I absolutely love it. The only thing you lose is the ability to tuck down behind the windscreen and go faster if you are searching for 100+ mph. There is a small little space of wind protection even then on the naked setup I have but it starts to feel a little sketcy at 85+. Even then you can still do it on the naked bike it just is not as confidence inspiring. Ultimately you should never be going that fast unless on a track.

If I had to do it over I'd really consider the Fz8 if I knew how much I'd like the feel of a naked bike. Also you'd have about $2,000 for mods (upgrade the springs to your weight regardless of Fz1 or Fz8)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've put about 10k miles on my FZ1 in a bit over a year. I consistently get between 35 and 36mpg. I've once gotten 40mpg riding 2-up and keeping the rpm's relatively low. I've never gotten less than 35 :don'tknow:

Sucks about Canadian insurance classification for FZ1. I have full coverage on mine with highest coverages and smallest deductible .. $170/year.

If you're in US and your rate is much higher than mine, the following things greatly affect it: home ownership, marital status, age, driving record, credit history.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
.. tiny fuel tank make the FZ1 very low on my list of "next" bike....

FZ6 tank is 19.4L, FZ1 is 18L. That's not really a drastic difference. Of course combined with the lower fuel eco, the range is affected quite a bit.

I typically shoot for 130 miles between refills. 146 was the farthest I've gone on a tank, but I could have probably done another 15-20 before running out.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
If money were no issue, I would buy the FZ1 in a heartbeat. The higher insurance, lower MPG's, and smaller tank keep me well away from even thinking about it. Although I'm sure if I rode one, I would change my mind. I rode a Bandit 1250S which has about the same HP as the FZ6 but more than twice the torque. It pulled so hard even from 2K RPM. I can only imagine what the FZ1 would feel like up top.

Last edited:

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Fz6 would get between 41-45 mpg. My Fz1 gets between 25-33 mpg. I'm not very easy going if you know what I mean. My average is 28 mpg, but my car was 18-20mpg, so it's stilll a plus. I definitely get lower mileage than most the people on the Fz1 forum because of the way I ride.

Use other gears besides first! :BLAA:

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I switched over to All State from Progressive (everything, car, three bikes, and renters insurance). Just my car insurance went down ~$400. For my '06 FZ6 and my Ninja 500 I pay 75/year (minimum allowed by law). I have more coverage on my S3 because I have a loan on it. Progressive was really fkin me. I even have a dwi on my record. I was only able to buy the S3 because I saved so much switching over.

All said and done, I'm paying about the same to All State for three bikes, a car, and renters insurance as I was paying Progressive for JUST MY CAR. (ninja and fizzy used to be with Nationwide).

I live in Pennsylvania as well and I know the cost also depends on the coverage. I pay $188 dollars a year for insurance but I don't have collision coverage. However, if I am involved in a traffic crash and it is not my fault, I don't pay anything and the bike is covered by the other parties insurance.

I pay for liability in case someone decides they want to sue me....

If I wanted collision on my bike it would cost me an extra $300 dollars a year. Plus, if I lay my bike down on my own I figure the cost of repair would almost meet or only slightly exceed my expected $500 deductible....

I do have comprehensive coverage which takes care of accidents where there was nothing I could do to avoid it...(which actually came in handy when I lived in Michigan, I was driving down US 131 and was struck across the chest with a flying piece of shredded semi-tire...a rider in front of me ran over it and it kicked it up in the air and struck me)

However, I digress...

IMO the chances someone else will cause an accident I am involved in is greater than the chances of me crashing on my own.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode a Bandit 1250S which has about the same HP as the FZ6 but more than twice the torque. It pulled so hard even from 2K RPM. I can only imagine what the FZ1 would feel like up top.

I rode 1250S too. Very different animal. Way more torque down low and much smoother power delivery at low RPM, however, it almost feels *slow* compared to FZ1 once the RPMs climb up.

Stock Bandit typically dynos at just under 100HP. Stock FZ1: just shy of 130HP.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with the FZ1... My insurance company (Jevco) lists the FZ1 as a sportbike... Expect a much higher premium than the 1000cc would normally dictate... High insurance premiums and tiny fuel tank make the FZ1 very low on my list of "next" bike....

Funny you went from V-Strom to sport bike, to much sportier bike... then? Usually it is the other way round...

Good memory! You still have your V-Strom? The FZ6 gave me what the V-Strom couldn't, more power and a quicker handling bike but I do miss the ABS. When I sat on the FZ1 it felt allot like the V-Strom, wide tank and sits a little higher in the front and a very comfortable riding position. I had check on insurance on a FZ1 and I remember it being around $1,100 full coverage/one year. I'm paying around $750 for the FZ6 so not too much more that I can't justify.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode 1250S too. Very different animal. Way more torque down low and much smoother power delivery at low RPM, however, it almost feels *slow* compared to FZ1 once the RPMs climb up.

Stock Bandit typically dynos at just under 100HP. Stock FZ1: just shy of 130HP.

The Bandit 1250 is also another bike I may consider. It's available with ABS, hydraulic clutch, longer range, better gas mileage and in Canada insurance rates are better. The FZ1 has a better build quality, quicker bike, more maneuverable, lighter and in my opinion a better looking bike.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 FTW! :D Love it and never looked back at my 6. I did love the 6 though but I just really fell for the 1 in a big way.

My wife is also on her own FZ1 and loves it... came up from the FZ6R. Of course, I had to lower it for her, like Brenda's. But she can also attest that the FZ1 can be as gentle as you want it to be but a beast when you feel like it. It's all in how you use the right hand and what's under that brain bucket.

We pay $650 a year for both bikes... that is full coverage, 100k/300k/100k, $250 deductible, and upped the mod-coverage to $6,000 per bike. In NH, all insurance companies are required to insure by CC so 998cc is below the 1000cc price break. ;) 2 more cc's and the cost is doubled.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 FTW! :D Love it and never looked back at my 6. I did love the 6 though but I just really fell for the 1 in a big way.

My wife is also on her own FZ1 and loves it... came up from the FZ6R. Of course, I had to lower it for her, like Brenda's. But she can also attest that the FZ1 can be as gentle as you want it to be but a beast when you feel like it. It's all in how you use the right hand and what's under that brain bucket.

We pay $650 a year for both bikes... that is full coverage, 100k/300k/100k, $250 deductible, and upped the mod-coverage to $6,000 per bike. In NH, all insurance companies are required to insure by CC so 998cc is below the 1000cc price break. ;) 2 more cc's and the cost is doubled.

I'm very comitted on buying a FZ1 but my only real concern is the ranger between fills. I live in a rual area and the distance between cities can be as much as 140 miles. I regularly ride my FZ6 to a neighbouring town which is about 140 miles with no fuel stops. The FZ6 gets there easily but will the FZ1?

Sure wish I could pay your insurance rates.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm very comitted on buying a FZ1 but my only real concern is the ranger between fills. I live in a rual area and the distance between cities can be as much as 140 miles. I regularly ride my FZ6 to a neighbouring town which is about 140 miles with no fuel stops. The FZ6 gets there easily but will the FZ1?

Sure wish I could pay your insurance rates.

140 miles is possible if you baby the heck out of it and there's not a lot of hills but on any given ride, it would be a stretch. I typically am stopping at 125 miles to fill up. I have pushed it over 140 miles a couple times but it's not comfortable! I'd be inclined to carry a couple spare liters of fuel with me on a trip like that.

Forgot to mention, that insurance is through Progressive. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wonder how the MPG compares in real terms....

About 28 MPG per the Yamaha web site. That's the ONLY reason I won't get one..

Retail down here was just over $10k for a new 2013.

Looks like the big brother to the 07/08 FZ6.

No ABS, no linked brakes, back to basics (which I prefer)..

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I sat on a new FZ1 today and I have to say I liked it allot. I thought the bike would feel heavier than the FZ6 but it didn't and I quite like the seating position. The front end seemed to stand a little taller and I like the two seat arrangement rather than the one. Bike also seemed wider. Price was around 10g for either the white 2012 or cobalt 2013. The salesman also showed me a used B-King but to me the Suzuki seemed cheaper and didn't have the fit and finish the Yamaha had. Got talking to the salesman about how riders in Florida don't need insurance to ride a motorcycle. I was stunned but because of the no fault if you crash it's your loss and if there is another party involved their insurance covers the loss. Then he shows me a brand 2012 R1 that a kid had bought in the corner that the front end was tore off. The guy had just bought the bike and when he was leaving the dealership he got on the throttle, front end went up and the bike went sideways and smashed into a tree. He never made it out of the parking lot and didn't have insurance. The bike is sitting in the corner and he's making payments on it.

As for an FZ1 come spring I'll probably be selling the FZ6 and buying a FZ1. The bike felt amazing and I didn't even ride it. :D

That is true Florida doesn't require insurance on bikes, HOWEVER, if he financed that bike, I SERIOUSLY doubt he didn't have insurance.

A bank won't finance a bike (its really mostly their bike with the outstanding loan) without some insurance just for that type of incident occurring. Cash deal, different story...

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sales guy says he came in with the cash and bought it and i think he financed a portion of it. Did this while his parents were out of town. The parents had phoned the store and wanted to know why they had sold him such a powerful sport bike. The bike is at Sun Sports Cycle on Colonial in Fort Myers. If your up that way check it out, quite entertaining.