Sat on a FZ1 Today, Ohh Boy!

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I sat on a new FZ1 today and I have to say I liked it allot. I thought the bike would feel heavier than the FZ6 but it didn't and I quite like the seating position. The front end seemed to stand a little taller and I like the two seat arrangement rather than the one. Bike also seemed wider. Price was around 10g for either the white 2012 or cobalt 2013. The salesman also showed me a used B-King but to me the Suzuki seemed cheaper and didn't have the fit and finish the Yamaha had. Got talking to the salesman about how riders in Florida don't need insurance to ride a motorcycle. I was stunned but because of the no fault if you crash it's your loss and if there is another party involved their insurance covers the loss. Then he shows me a brand 2012 R1 that a kid had bought in the corner that the front end was tore off. The guy had just bought the bike and when he was leaving the dealership he got on the throttle, front end went up and the bike went sideways and smashed into a tree. He never made it out of the parking lot and didn't have insurance. The bike is sitting in the corner and he's making payments on it.

As for an FZ1 come spring I'll probably be selling the FZ6 and buying a FZ1. The bike felt amazing and I didn't even ride it. :D

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike felt amazing and I didn't even ride it. :D

Exactly the reason why I don't want to go out looking for other bikes when I know I'm perfectly happy on my fizzer.

Then he shows me a brand 2012 R1 that a kid had bought in the corner that the front end was tore off. The guy had just bought the bike and when he was leaving the dealership he got on the throttle, front end went up and the bike went sideways and smashed into a tree. He never made it out of the parking lot and didn't have insurance. The bike is sitting in the corner and he's making payments on it.

Now that's a sad story. Though that tree probably saved his life and possibly someone else's.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I sat on one too.

Very nice bike and I would switch to it in a heartbeat, but I can't handle FZ6 to its fullest and until I can use knee sliders, FZ1 is just a dream.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I sat on a new FZ1 today and I have to say I liked it allot. I thought the bike would feel heavier than the FZ6 but it didn't and I quite like the seating position. The front end seemed to stand a little taller and I like the two seat arrangement rather than the one. Bike also seemed wider. Price was around 10g for either the white 2012 or cobalt 2013. The salesman also showed me a used B-King but to me the Suzuki seemed cheaper and didn't have the fit and finish the Yamaha had. Got talking to the salesman about how riders in Florida don't need insurance to ride a motorcycle. I was stunned but because of the no fault if you crash it's your loss and if there is another party involved their insurance covers the loss. Then he shows me a brand 2012 R1 that a kid had bought in the corner that the front end was tore off. The guy had just bought the bike and when he was leaving the dealership he got on the throttle, front end went up and the bike went sideways and smashed into a tree. He never made it out of the parking lot and didn't have insurance. The bike is sitting in the corner and he's making payments on it.

As for an FZ1 come spring I'll probably be selling the FZ6 and buying a FZ1. The bike felt amazing and I didn't even ride it. :D

Buy it, you won't regret it, unless the payments suck, then you'll go for a ride and forget about the payments. My dealer quoted me around 12500 for OTD total. The FZ1 is definitely wider, but you don't notice because somehow your balls get bigger when you sit on it, so the wider stance is for your comfort. :Flip: (JK, JK).

I have a friend who used to work at a bike dealership here. They used to take bets as to how far the guys would get before crashing. Worst one he said was this dude bought a GSXR1000, and was following his baby mama out the parking lot, he was all talk and had his ruff ryder patch on, well the dude drops the clutch, wheelies the bike into the back windshield of the Escalade and some how flips himself up into a tree where he proceeds to fall down and shatter his femur. He had to be life flighted out of there because he had a compound fracture with 2 inches of his femur sticking out of his leg.

I sat on one too.

Very nice bike and I would switch to it in a heartbeat, but I can't handle FZ6 to its fullest and until I can use knee sliders, FZ1 is just a dream.

Did you put clip-ons on to your Fz6? Otherwise I doubt it would be setup in a way that would make dragging a knee reasonable.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you put clip-ons on to your Fz6? Otherwise I doubt it would be setup in a way that would make dragging a knee reasonable.

It's not about the bars

Toronto.jpg

The wideness thing.. the biggest difference I noticed when I went to FZ1 was how fat the tank was. The seat is wider too.. so the overall feel is definitely wider.

FZ1 rearsets are a bit higher up and a bit further back.. but honestly, it's an easy bike to get used to after owning FZ6. If anything, clutch is the biggest difference between the 2, in terms of feel.. FZ1 has a very long friction zone.. the opposite of FZ6.

And as for the price.. there are SO many great used ones out there. Why pay so much for brand new one? The changes from 07 to 13 are minimal (different color schemes and slight tweak to ECU, but 07 is perfectly smooth as is.. much smoother than FZ6 when it comes to OFF/ON throttle reaction).

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not about the bars

The wideness thing.. the biggest difference I noticed when I went to FZ1 was how fat the tank was. The seat is wider too.. so the overall feel is definitely wider.

FZ1 rearsets are a bit higher up and a bit further back.. but honestly, it's an easy bike to get used to after owning FZ6. If anything, clutch is the biggest difference between the 2, in terms of feel.. FZ1 has a very long friction zone.. the opposite of FZ6.

And as for the price.. there are SO many great used ones out there. Why pay so much for brand new one? The changes from 07 to 13 are minimal (different color schemes and slight tweak to ECU, but 07 is perfectly smooth as is.. much smoother than FZ6 when it comes to OFF/ON throttle reaction).

That's one weird picture. I did find a used on in Minneapolis for a very good price and also a held over 2011 for $8,490 so I'll be checking insurance and seeing what that will run. No need to take out a loan, I can buy it outright.

fz1.jpg

I always thought the FZ1 had a hydraulic clutch? The Bandits do and you think a bike of this caliper would.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
The sad thing is that I've probably put $3-4 into the FZ6. I could return it to stock and sell everything off but wonder what a 08 FZ6 is worth with around 8,000 miles on it? Not a blemish on it. Sounds like I'm fishing.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
The sad thing is that I've probably put $3-4 into the FZ6. I could return it to stock and sell everything off but wonder what a 08 FZ6 is worth with around 8,000 miles on it? Not a blemish on it. Sounds like I'm fishing.
Depends on where and when you sell of course, but I'd say between 3,300 and 4,000. I see that you have the fastest color made, so you can expect to be in the higher end of that range. :thumbup:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Good luck with the FZ1... My insurance company (Jevco) lists the FZ1 as a sportbike... Expect a much higher premium than the 1000cc would normally dictate... High insurance premiums and tiny fuel tank make the FZ1 very low on my list of "next" bike....

Funny you went from V-Strom to sport bike, to much sportier bike... then? Usually it is the other way round...

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with the FZ1... My insurance company (Jevco) lists the FZ1 as a sportbike... Expect a much higher premium than the 1000cc would normally dictate... High insurance premiums and tiny fuel tank make the FZ1 very low on my list of "next" bike....

Funny you went from V-Strom to sport bike, to much sportier bike... then? Usually it is the other way round...

That doesn't make sense to me (not saying you're wrong at all). My Speed Triple (I'd say in all aspects more of a sporty bike than the FZ1) is pretty cheap to insure. I was really surprised by that when I first got a quote. I pay around 220 for the whole year, I'm 24 with a couple speeding tickets among other things on my record. Do some agencies classify bikes differently? Or is it the manufacturer?

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesn't make sense to me (not saying you're wrong at all). My Speed Triple (I'd say in all aspects more of a sporty bike than the FZ1) is pretty cheap to insure. I was really surprised by that when I first got a quote. I pay around 220 for the whole year, I'm 24 with a couple speeding tickets among other things on my record. Do some agencies classify bikes differently? Or is it the manufacturer?

WTF dude? I pay 740/ year (full coverage) on my '09 FZ6. I'm 25, with only one recent speeding ticket, (2 years ago)..

Thats through Progressive... my original insurer, American Family, quoted me: "We dont insure kids on bikes"

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
WTF dude? I pay 740/ year (full coverage) on my '09 FZ6. I'm 25, with only one recent speeding ticket, (2 years ago)..

Thats through Progressive... my original insurer, American Family, quoted me: "We dont insure kids on bikes"

Im not sure in $ but over here in uk in £ i pay £250 a year for full coverage and i am currently 22 with no speeding tickets (thank god they all cleared after 4 years) and i think its either 5 or 6 no claims discount i started at 16 :thumbup:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1 is awesome. I love mine. The thing to remember about getting insurance on the FZ1, is that it is actually 998cc, not 1000. Makes it easier that it isn't technically a liter bike, but it can be pricey. Most insurance companies can do a quick quote without a VIN to give you a good estimate.

Wonder how the MPG compares in real terms....

The Fuel economy is the hard part. Usually comes in around 32-38MPG. Definitely must worse than a 600...

Last edited:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I think you have an amazing rate I pay 7xx for the full coverage at 1 year, 200 is a steal who do you have if you don't mind me asking I use AAA

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch.. that fuel economy is... Well, just ouch.

The FZ1 is a great bike. I had the opportunity to ride my buddy's '09 and the bike was just immaculate. It's so stable and smooth and POWERFUL.

That being said, if I were to jump to up to a 1000cc bike, I doubt it'd be an FZ1. Mostly because in my price range you're looking at 1st gen and I don't like them too much. I would probably go with something more like an SV1ks, or a speed triple.

Or a CB1000R, or a Z1000. The FZ1 is great, I'm sure.. but there's something about that Z1000 that's just so sexy...

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
The Fuel economy is the hard part. Usually comes in around 32-38MPG. Definitely must worse than a 600...

That's the issue really I think - the Fezzer6 is obviously a nice balance of power and MPG.

Well...that's what I've got it for...my car only does 20mpg :(

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site

It's worth between 3500-5000 depending on what your market will bear. I got my Fz6 with 7200 miles on it in perfect condition for $3800 from winning an ebay auction (book at the time was $5400).

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm in Canada not the US... Most insurance companys here that do bikes list the FZ1 as a sport bike where as the FZ6 considered a "standard" to them if you will... Sportbikes get a hefty 50% surcharge... Some companys won't even insure sport bikes period, no matter the premium...