Saturday along the coast

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm seriously considering a few long distance trips in the next few months, so I decided to head from San Diego to Ventura and back via Pacific Coast Highway for the most part. I'm figuring that I'll build up to 1000 mile round trips to get some iron butt runs behind me, and this trip was just short of 1/2 of that. I'm pretty sure I can burn 1000 miles a day with relative ease.

I headed out the door at 9:00am, picked up some batteries for the GPS and camera, and then hit the coast.

Here's my take of some of the spots I traveled through:

I love riding through the coastal canyons around Lake Hodges and enjoyed the trip up PCH until it ends due to Camp Pendleton and I had to jump onto the 5 to get through the base. I find that I zone out on long highway runs and have to force myself to identify things ahead of me and keep a somewhat sharp focus on the road and cars. I'm a very defensive rider, but still need to work on zoning out while clicking off high speed slab miles. Oh yeah, ear plugs are a must for me; my Shoei is relatively quiet, but I'd go nuts without ear plugs at a steady 70 mph run.

I caught coast highway in San Clemente and cruised up the coast again. I find with traffic lights, people watching, and side traffic that my focus becomes sharp again and I really enjoy the slower pace and great scenery of the coastal cities.

Stopped for some pictures too:
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Saw these guys taking a break too. I assume they were heading north as well.
IMG_0009.jpg

Now those looked like some comfy bikes. I even caught the Surfliner flying by too. I've taken the Surfliner for work travel a few times and really like traveling by rail.

The surf wasn't too bad, but enter at your own risk:
IMG_0001.jpg

From here I took off up the coast and tagged onto the tail of a cruiser group that was traveling at a perfect pace that allowed me to relax and take in the perfect weather while moving fast enough to keep me on a loose time frame that I was calculating in my head. Unfortunately they didn't stop at all through the rest of Orange County, so no pictures. I did spot some cool cars through Laguna and fell in love with a Masarati; the sound from that things exhaust was heavenly and the girl driving wasn't bad herself ;).

I stopped to take a quick picture in Seal Beach and decided that I will live here one day. This town reminds me of stories my grandparents used to tell me about growing up in Santa Monica. It's a slower pace of life with green parks, small beach homes, and mom n pop shops everywhere. I loved it.

And who doesn't love a town with an old boxcar museum in the middle of it with kids playing botche(sp?) ball next to it?
IMG_0013.jpg

I then set off at a good pace through Newport and Huntington and was thankful to make it through without much traffic. However, once I hit Long Beach I realized how much I hate Pacific Coast Highway through here and can do with never being in Long Beach again. I don't like the smell, the views, or anything about it. It's an amazing place in some parts and the entire Port of Los Angeles is amazing when you think about all the goods flowing through it, but the route PCH takes is blah and I should have hopped on the 405 to bypass it.

Then I hit the worst traffic I have ever been stuck in: Venice Beach. A great town and the best people watching in Los Angeles, but my god no one can drive! :disapprove: The craziest of everyone in this place were the scooter drivers :eek: 30+ mph splitting through stopped traffic. I didn't dare keep up with them and just split at a slow pace to get through the traffic lights. I also tried to eat at In-N-Out as I was starving, but the place is in the same shopping center as a Costco and cagers are insane about parking as close to the Costco as they can, and the In-N-Out was packed, so I zipped off to the freeway and decided to pass all the congestion and catch PCH after Santa Monica.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Santa Monica is a special place to me as my mom's parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles grew up here. Sadly my mom and I are the only direct relatives still alive and a large part of her side of the family are in memorial parks, so I stopped at one and made sure the sites were still clean and cared for. I can easily move to Santa Monica and spend the rest of my life near the beach here; I just need to win the lottery first.

I stayed on the 1, PCH, and was ecstatic to finally cross Topanga Canyon. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley then moved to Simi Valley and spent a lot of time on these coastal canyons from the Valley up into Ventura.

My favorite stretch of Southern California coastal highway is from Topanga Canyon and PCH to Point Magu. The coast is amazing and there are all the canyons that connect to it such as Topanga Canyon, Malibu Canyon, Latigo Canyon, Kanan Dume, Decker Canyon, and many many more.

It was about this time that I realized that I hadn't taken many pictures, but managed to leave the camera on and drain the new batteries down to zip. Oh well, last snap shots from the road:

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

From here I skirted Point Magu Naval Base and played around Channel Islands Harbor then up into Ventura where I finally snagged my In-N-Out burger. I'm pretty sure that as I kid the first In-N-Out I ever had was in Ventura and they're still as good as ever. For some reason I don't crave In-N-Out when I'm in San Diego, but once I head up the coast it almost becomes a must eat lunch location.

After my #1 animal style, fries, and chocolate shake, the best three items from In-N-Out, I realized that I didn't have much time left to get home before dark and I only had my dark smoke visor with me. I normally keep my clear in a padded pouch that sits perfect under my jacket, but completely forgot to take it on this run.

I slabbed it all the way back to San Diego. The 101 to the 5 and finally to the 78. Carpool lanes and lane splitting were the routine on the way home. Los Angeles traffic is horrid and the Sepulveda Pass was gridlocked, so I got plenty of splitting practice and overall it was a pleasant experience and most everyone held their line or moved over to give me some room. I also caught a splitter in a high vis vest with high vis on his backpack on the 5 through Oceanside traffic and between the two of us splitting we made great time. He was also the only other rider, besides myself, that I saw wearing a high vis. I really think the vests, or something high vis is needed for lane splitting. Regular riding I don't think high vis is a must, but between lanes I definitely felt that cagers noticed me much better as I didn't blend at all with any other cars nor the asphalt.

Overall I made 364 miles in 8 hours on some of California's more congested roads and freeways. I found that riders in San Diego are the friendliest when it comes to waving or at least recognizing other riders. Los Angeles and Ventura were hit and miss with sport riders being a lot more friendly than cruisers. Orange County seemed the snobbiest, but I don't really care as I'm not out to make friends and rarely initiate a wave or head nod, but I always return one if safe.

If I were to make this same ride again I would stick to the coast through San Diego, then slab it to Santa Monica and grab the coastal roads again thereby skipping all of Orange County, Long Beach, and some of the more crowded Los Angeles beach cities.

I think my next day trip will be up to Morrow Bay where I'll camp or get a hotel room and then make San Francisco the next day where I'll visit my cousin.

Overall I was very happy with the FZer and averaged 48 mpg. I used my sliders as highway pegs to stretch out my legs and stood up quite a bit on the pegs to stretch. I made two gas stops and still have plenty left in the tank.

Here's my odometer when I pulled into the garage and popped new batteries into the camera. I last stopped for gas in Irvine and I can't believe the trip meter stopped on this number:
IMG_0020.jpg

Here's the GPS readout:
IMG_0022.jpg

Max Speed: 86.8 mph
Moving Average: 46.2 mph
Moving Time: 7hrs 52min
Stopped Time: 1Hr 36min (Lunch, rest stop, gas, and pictures)
Overall Average: 38.4 mph
Odometer: 364.07 miles.

Oh ya, sticking to faster routes and keeping my pace up I can easily do an iron butt of 1000 miles in 24 hours.

Craig :)

Last edited:

chicagogreg

Gadget Freak
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Craig, thanks for writing up your trip up the coast. Living in Chicago at the moment with plans to move back out to SD this summer. Unable to put more than about 500 mi/summer on my bike due to weather and other constraints, so looking forward to riding year-round in CA, especially up the coast.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up and love the pictures! Keep em coming, its nice to see where people have been!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
sweet! thanks for sharing...

hey btw, weren't you on your way to come to the track @ Willow Springs on 3/13? Rob had mentioned something about it...

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
sweet! thanks for sharing...

hey btw, weren't you on your way to come to the track @ Willow Springs on 3/13? Rob had mentioned something about it...

Yep, that was me. I made it about 1/2 way too until plans changed. I ended up making a really big round trip and I chalk it up to just being a weird Friday the 13th. :rolleyes:

I'll make it to a track day sooner or later to take pictures or even ride. :thumbup:

**edit** I should say I made it 1/2 way to Willow after Rob's plans changed too, not the start of the trip up. Rob hope the car stuff worked out all right.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: If I use my imagination, it could be my bike sittin' there by the palm trees, white sand, and blue Pacific surf. Oh, well, at least it was above freezing today...:D

nice pics, love it. Keep 'em coming!

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
a bit off topic but i had to ask...
What brand and model tank bag is that? i have been looking for a new one and that one looks good.

It's a Joe Rocket Manta bag. It's perfect for commuting and my hand held GPS fits perfect in the top pocket with the window.

Nice.

Shouldn't that max speed be somewhere north of 100?
Come on take that beauty out of 3rd. :)

Nope, my buddy was recently cited for doing 25 mph over, and I can't afford to waste that kind of money right now. I go with the flow of traffic and try not to lead. ;)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, that was me. I made it about 1/2 way too until plans changed. I ended up making a really big round trip and I chalk it up to just being a weird Friday the 13th. :rolleyes:

I'll make it to a track day sooner or later to take pictures or even ride. :thumbup:

**edit** I should say I made it 1/2 way to Willow after Rob's plans changed too, not the start of the trip up. Rob hope the car stuff worked out all right.

OK, that's what we thought happened... hope to see you there next time! (looks like mid-May will be our next one). :rockon: