Saw a man die this morning. RIP.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Passing this along to you all and hopefully it will adjust your seat belt wearing tendencies if you're not always buckled in. I was commuting to work (in my car - I woke up late, it was cold, and I didn't have time to bundle up) on a 4 lane - 2 lanes each way - road, Route 9 for those in the Boston area. A car 3 in front of me started to act erratically, first slowing way down, then cutting off the car in the lane to the right, then gunning it. He lost control and hit the guardrail on the right and pinballed back and hit the center guardrail head-on.

The cars in front of me slowed but kept going. When I reached the car there was no movement inside and I pulled over to see if I could help. When I got around to the other side of the car I saw that the driver's head was outside the passenger window, face down, and bleeding down the door. Not wanting to move him, I immediately started flagging all the cars coming by to roll down their windows and ask if they were doctors or nurses.

30 seconds later an off duty fireman ran up and had me and a couple other guys try to stabilize his back and neck - basically holding him up while opening the door, as the fireman was afraid that the door was blocking his airway. I was in charge of holding his chin and opening the door while the other guys held his shoulders (he was a big guy in his 60s). Finally the EMTs arrived and took over. I gave my recollection of the incident to a cop and was told that I could go. An hour later the police officer called my to get some more details and told me that the man had passed away.

He also said it was totally preventable if he was wearing his seat belt.

That said, my first reaction was that the way the car was acting before the accident was that the driver was having a heart attack or seizure, I don't know. He was breathing while we were first there, but did let out one of those deep exhales just before the EMTs arrived and didn't seem to be breathing afterwards.

I'm kinda shaken up here at work, but way more importantly, I feel a very deep sorrow for this guy's family. For you EMTs, fireman, police officers, doctors and trauma nurses (and military), I don't know how you do it every day.

RIP, sir.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that... that will stay with you.... maybe you should take the rest of the day off...

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats hard to see/do for the first time... i remember when i first joined the fire dept, i was with another buddy who had been in for years, we were just around town getting ice cream with some other folks, sitting on the tailgate of my truck when we heard BAAM! looked up just fast enough to see a kid going flying over the top of a car, bounce off the trunk and hit the ground. he was only maybe 14, had his roller skates on, (had meaning before he got hit, because they were 15 feet away when he finally hit the ground.) that messed me up pretty bad for days. i quit the fire dept soon after, i have seen alot worse since, but to have seen something that bad, that close up, just being a n00b firefighter, it overwhelmed me too fast.

its hard to see the reality of life. we hear about people dying in the worst of ways, and dont flinch. but to be there when it happens is a totally different feeling. sorry you had to see it, but in a way, its a good reminder of how quick life can expire. and not to take a day for granted.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thankfully, I do always wear a seatbelt in the cages and ATGATT on the bike. Thanks for the wake up call Tom and sorry you had to witness that.

I was already saved by an airbag and seatbelt once. I'm ONLY here today because if them.

Buckle up not because it's the law, because it's just plain physics with common sense.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear this. You did the right thing by trying to help out.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It was good that you had the love and courage to stand by this person today.
Thank you for standing up in a sticky situation because I'm sure it wasn't safe to be out there in the open with traffic. I'm sure his family would be so grateful that you were there for him. Those are some of the tough things that we can do to make our world a better place. You could have just cruised on by......Good Job!

Cliff

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about what you had to go through. I always wear my seatbelt I feel weird without it. My best friend never wears it and it annoys the heck outta me. I really can't force him to wear it in his car but I do if he is in my car, I tell him if you are going to ride with me either wear it or get out. His excuses are so weird, for example it wrinkles my shirt or uncomfortable, I just don't get it. Stay safe everyone.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Tom5796--Yeah, thanks for STOPPING! Sometimes I think too many motorists are selfish or complete morons when it comes to reacting after an accident. If nobody's already on the scene, they need take action and if they saw it, they need to STOP and make a witness statement.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you did a good thing today and i commend you for doing what you could to help. take conolation that you did everything that you could to help. The rest of the people that drove by should be ashamed that they didn't stop. It is sad that in the world today that the compultion to help a fellow human is often trumped by the desire to avoid being 10 minutes late to work.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I congratulate you, on doing the Right Thing.... just rolling on by, would have been so much less costly to your time, and such. I'm glad you had the good conscionce(sp) to stop and help. For sure, that guy's family appreciates it. Sorry it ended badly, and all of that...... but thanks for the effort.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done for at least making the attempt, it takes courage to try and help when you are not really sure what to do.

Steve

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for reminding me of how much I have to be thankful for. I hope tomorrow is far less traumatic for you and some good Karma comes back your way.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
That's really rough to deal with. When I was deployed I saw a great deal of carnage and death. It's something that will stick with you. It didn't bother me that much, I learned to compartmentalize the things I saw and had to deal with. It's easier for some than others, it really does depend on the make up of the individual.

I hope you'll be okay and yes it does suck for him and those that are left behind. There's nothing more you can do so please take care of yourself.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow.. Your a good man for pulling over to help.. You did what you could. Sorry you had to go thru that though. I cant believe there are still people who dont wear their seatbelts..

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Good on you, Tom. I am sorry you had to witness that, but you did a great thing standing by him while he passed.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all, though I bet you would do the same without even thinking about it - you're good people on this forum. I guess all I can say is I hope the guy lived a good life.

I'm also thankful that this happened on a holiday for many. If the roads were normal for a Monday there would probably be more vehicles involved.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all, though I bet you would do the same without even thinking about it - you're good people on this forum. I guess all I can say is I hope the guy lived a good life.

I'm also thankful that this happened on a holiday for many. If the roads were normal for a Monday there would probably be more vehicles involved.

What holiday?

I administered CPR before on some guy at the airport inside one of those airline lounges a long time ago. The guy's face was getting pretty purplelish, but I went for it anyway. I still remember to this day, the guy needed to shave. Unfortunately, the guy didn't make it.