Scraped diode/resistor for t/s & running lights

cugmc

Reaction score
Visit site
After doing a test run with a 220 ohm resistor and a 6 amp diode on my two wire led t/s I didn't like how it looked and went with the single fxn of the t/s. Only a few of the leds were lit in the diode/resistor running light mode and obviously dimmer. When the t/s was turned on just flowing through the one diode it would only light up the remaining leds but it would not make the ones that were already lit by the running light circuit any brighter.

Essentially I had to choose between poor fxn of two things or excellent fxn of one. Easy choice.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you post a schematic of what you're explaining? I think I know what you wish to achieve and there is a way to do it with a different approach. :)

Attachments

• Run_ Directional.pdf
    104 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a video of almost exactly what I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yrvmEUMFGo

Rewatching the video I think I put the resistor before the diode. Don't think that should matter though.

In this configuration it would not matter whether the resistor or diode were first in the running/tail light part of the circuit. I think if you're using multiple LEDs in your tail light you may have to insure that they all have like characteristics in brightness for given current flow. If not then you will have to experiment using a resistor for each LED lamp. You would pass the current through the diode first and then to each individual resistor. Then your brake signal would have a discrete diode for each LED to give it full intended current. You might research doing this with a pulse width modulator circuit instead. But experimentation is always fun and educational! :)

In the video...The answer as to why to not use this circuit on a regular incandescent lamp is that it would draw many times more current and overheat those component's lower current carrying capacity.