Sena SMH10R Fresh out of the Box

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm surprised you guys have a microphone. My Comm device doesn't come with one, the internal speakers works as my mic so no boom for me.

My SMH10R came with both a boom type and internal type microphones.

Using the earpiece for the mic might lead you to believe there would be a tough time with audio quality but today they use very sophisticated software and digital processing to squash noise and promote speech.

If my wife calls me she's always surprised when I tell her my speed because my voice is very clear with little or no background noise.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I understand, my Uclear device is used in the military. Nice thing about this device, it can also be programmed to other devices, so we can communicate even when you have another brand.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
My SMH10R came with both a boom type and internal type microphones.

Using the earpiece for the mic might lead you to believe there would be a tough time with audio quality but today they use very sophisticated software and digital processing to squash noise and promote speech.

If my wife calls me she's always surprised when I tell her my speed because my voice is very clear with little or no background noise.

So which mic setup did you use? What style of helmet?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

I installed the boom mic inside my full face. I position it just off of my bottom lip (per advise from a pilot who wears headsets often).
It seems like my Galaxy S4 is able to pick up my voice quite a bit better.

Also, If i bring up on S-voice app, then press the button to turn the screen off, before I stick it in my pocket, it seems to que the voice command better. (sometimes it would fail to que voice command when you hold the center buttom for 3 seconds).

The more and more i play with it and figure things out, the better it is!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

I installed the boom mic inside my full face. I position it just off of my bottom lip (per advise from a pilot who wears headsets often).
It seems like my Galaxy S4 is able to pick up my voice quite a bit better.

Also, If i bring up on S-voice app, then press the button to turn the screen off, before I stick it in my pocket, it seems to que the voice command better. (sometimes it would fail to que voice command when you hold the center buttom for 3 seconds).

The more and more i play with it and figure things out, the better it is!

When ever there is an OS update certain apps like voice command will wait for an answer of what feature to use to complete the command. You'll be mobile trying to make a call and the phone will just sit in your pocket and not complete the task. So after an app update go to those features that have been updated and pre-test before you ride. This way you know your gear is performing correctly. These great features enable us to quickly make calls in an emergency and time can be precious. :)

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
When ever there is an OS update certain apps like voice command will wait for an answer of what feature to use to complete the command. You'll be mobile trying to make a call and the phone will just sit in your pocket and not complete the task. So after an app update go to those features that have been updated and pre-test before you ride. This way you know your gear is performing correctly. These great features enable us to quickly make calls in an emergency and time can be precious. :)

MMMM I hadnt thought of that.. Infact I dismiss the 'update needed' pop up all the time. Maybe I need to let this thing update once in a while, haha.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
MMMM I hadnt thought of that.. Infact I dismiss the 'update needed' pop up all the time. Maybe I need to let this thing update once in a while, haha.

I'm saying after you do an app update related to, for example, voice command. You must test your setup to make sure it works correctly with the voice command. It's related to after you do an update and not before.
Especially an operating system update. But any update related to any communication should be tested to make sure it works properly with your helmet comm. After an update put your helmet on and test your interface. :)

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Dammit -- spent money again reading this forum. :p

I bought the universal mic set -- the SMH10-11.

I've got an Arai Signet-Q. Curious -- is it worth removing the neckroll and cheekpads to get at all the spots in the shell for the sticky velcro bits? Or do y'all just pull 'em back far enough to shove the wires in and let the cheekpads hold down the speakers and wiring?

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Curious, why would you guys buy a com device that requires a microphone? My internal speakers works as my microphone so there is one less attachment.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I've got an Arai Signet-Q. Curious -- is it worth removing the neckroll and cheekpads to get at all the spots in the shell for the sticky velcro bits? Or do y'all just pull 'em back far enough to shove the wires in and let the cheekpads hold down the speakers and wiring?

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

I have a Shoei RF1200. I pulled the pads. It was simple and pretty quick.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

Ahhh, so NOW the multiquote thingy starts to work! Sorry about your susceptability to our unintentional advertizing. Blah

Curious, why would you guys buy a com device that requires a microphone? My internal speakers works as my microphone so there is one less attachment.

Kenny, I didn't really make the choice based on where / how the microphone is mounted or works. I selected this one for the the intercom features and the BT connection to my phone so I can receive calls, hear my GPS functions (copilot App on the phone) and listen to music.

My wife hasn't ridden with me since I got the devices. She had surgery so I guess that's an OK excuse. :D So far I've only used the GPS and music features - they're neat. She won't even call me when I'm in the helmet. I'm pretty sure we'll get out this weekend so I'm hoping she'll like the intercom because she can talk.

What features do you like about your device? I should probably scan back, but what type is it?

Chris

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

I did find it worth the extra hook n loop bits.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

My SMH10R came with both types of microphones. If it was an integrated set like yours that's what I'd have.

There may be some gain in quality with a discreet unit but because the amount of processing for noise cancelling and voice enhancement, I doubt you can hear the difference. Also an open face helmet may work better with the little boom mic with the foam wind breaker.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Things to know before you try installing one of these...

HOW TO REMOVE THE INNER PARTS OF YOUR HELMET...

Lesson learned.

I installed an SMH10-11 (universal fitting) tonight. Took me most of a lopsided Atlanta Falcons game. Mostly testing the speaker placement prior to committing to Velcro pads (kit came with 3 -- you have one chance to **** up).

This is the Arai Signet-Q with the unit installed -- face shield removed:

View attachment 55029

Note the difference in this model -- the boom mic is NOT attached. All that remains is a vestigial boom mic nub. The actual boom mic comes on a wire with a Velcro pad to mount on the inside of the helmet:

View attachment 55030

After many tests, I Velcro'd the speakers just at the top and slightly behind my ears. If you're familiar with the helmet, the ears sit right in the recessed and cloth covered cheek pads. The curve inside the helmet limited my placement of the sticky Velcro pads. The fabric on the recessed part of the cheek pads wouldn't hold to the Velcro either. This will work for now:

View attachment 55031

Here's another shot of the placement. Ideally, the recessed area would be flat and accept the Velcro pad. I actually tried placing the speakers behind the cheek pads (which would've precluded the Velcro), but it was about a 50% volume reduction vs. the current placement:

View attachment 55032

Another view of the universal mount and the nub for the vestigial boom mic. The two wires are the left side for the left speaker and the mic. The wire going over the neck roll is routed to the right side:

View attachment 55033

This is a shot of the bud mic placement at the chin guard. This is one of the reasons I bought this model. I wanted to be able to use either, though I thought the boom mic was detachable from the outside. My only concern about this bud mic placement is the vent just above it. I tried the boom mic but it was basically touching my mouth when between it and the chin guard. I can try it later if I want:

View attachment 55034

I tested the audio the whole time picking out speaker placements. When I was all done, I tried the helmet sans face shield with ear plugs. Had my wife call while walking around outside. It was fine. Tried a podcast and GPS -- seemed loud enough. I didn't have to turn up the phone volume as much on the phone call as much as on the podcast and GPS. Siri seemed to take commands OK on iOS 7 -- available directly from the back "phone" button.

Anyway -- my 2 cents. I'll ride tomorrow and try the music or podcast and GPS.

Last edited:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
A retraction -- the speaker placement was bad. I ended up getting hotspots here on my head:

View attachment 55038

I hope I can pull the sticky patches and try repositioning them closer to my ears. I also had trouble hearing anything at 35mph and higher from my podcast app this morning.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have the Uclear device. They offer different models depending on what type of helmet you have and for your specific uses. Mine is designed for the full face helmet. It has all the features you would expect from a com device, BT Etc. To answer an incoming call all you have to say is hello. I have my phone mounted on my Ram Mount, so I can see who's calling via caller ID. I only answer if it's a call I need to answer. The music pauses whenever I hear an alert or if the phone rings. The speakers has dual use, and acts as a microphone. It's crystal clear, the phone sounds better using the device versus holding the phone up to your ears. The music sound quality is not Bose material, but good. At freeway speeds, the music gets hard to hear.

I paid $120. It came with an extra pair of speakers and com mount, so I got two sets in case I want to insert the speakers in another helmet. All I have to do is disconnect the device and attach the com on the other helmet. I've seen them sold in Cycle Gear, but I'm not sure it's because I'm in Idaho. They are made here.

20140412_130551_zps68128af3.jpg

20140919_113031_zpslofxjccd.jpg

20140919_113113_zpscb15vr7c.jpg

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
A retraction -- the speaker placement was bad. I ended up getting hotspots here on my head:

View attachment 55038

I hope I can pull the sticky patches and try repositioning them closer to my ears. I also had trouble hearing anything at 35mph and higher from my podcast app this morning.

Dunno if I resolved the issue or not, but I slipped the speakers into the cheek pads near the ears -- between the foam and the fabric covering.

Still hard to hear -- but with ear plugs this is supposedly a "feature" of the Sena...