Sena SMH10R Fresh out of the Box

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Question: What do you do when you open the box on your newest toy?

Answer: Install it, pop the helmet on, and read the manual!

It helps greatly if you have a sneaky wife who snaps your pic and threatens to post it to FB if you call her one more time on the VOX operated connection to your cell. :D

BTW: I was rocking out to Kansas Leftoverture, inside the helmet. :rockon:

picture.php

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm beginning to use my U-clear device on a daily basis, listening to music with occasional incoming phone calls.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll love your SMH10R! I've had mine over a year and it works so well for me.:)

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
DRAT!!! It's gonna rain the next three days!

Guess I'll have to sit on the sofa reading the manual again with my helmet on. :thumbup:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My com device is waterproof. Yours not?

Hey Kenny!

Mine is also waterproof. I'd also say that I am too, but I had several meetings set for this AM and I didn't want to sit through them while staying all soggy. ;)

The forecasts for tomorrow and Wednesday are looking better.:thumbup:

Chris

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Love my Sena! Had it for about 4 years now and been thru much, much rain with them. On one of them, I bought the dual set, the little tab on the unit that snaps into the ear piece broke off. Called customer service to see if they had another shell that I could buy and just swap it out. They sent one for free..great customer service.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Question: What do you do when you open the box on your newest toy?

Answer: Install it, pop the helmet on, and read the manual!

Just got a Dual Set if Smh10r's.

I found the manual to be a bit lacking.. They show how to set things up, but not really how to take full advantage of the different functions of the communitators. I ended up google searching how to do some different things: Like how to music share with someone youre intercomming with and then go back and fourth between intercomming and listening to music. Once my gf and I figured it out though, we were having lots of fun.. Especially when I'd play some music she doesnt like, such as "Fat bottom Girls -Queen, or "Girls" -Beastie Boys. Blah

I have mine paired to my Galaxy S4. I'm less than impressed with the ability for S-voice on the phone to understand what I'm saying once you que it up. (Though this may be more of a phone issue... and I often times wish I were talking to Siri, reather than "watever her name is" in my Samsung!!) I have been working with it some, and even went as far as wrapping a scarf around the bottom of the helmet to block some wind noise an then it works some better.

Other than that, these things are Feaking AWESOME. It really puts a new light on things when you can communicate with other riders!

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
ZOMG SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS -- now I can ask questions...

First -- full face helmet or modular?

Second -- which style mic attachment?

I've been looking at the 5 instead of the 10 for cost but also because I could buy it with a wired mic for a full face helmet. However, a friend at work just bought the 10 and has the boom installed on a full face helmet.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 10 with a wired mic. Using the earbud base instead of the standard base. Use the speakers for around town and short trips but use earbuds for noise control for longer trips. Last month rode 600 miles and it did great. Mostly use it to listen to music. Can hear outside noise well particularly around town with the speakers. Today I heard two different firetrucks on the ride home, both well before they were close.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nth,

I bought the dual set. They each come with both the wired and boom versions of the mic.

My helmet is a Shoei RF-1200 which is a full face so I used the wired version. Works great and is completely out of the way. My wife's helmet is a modular, a Vega (something) so for hers I installed the boom mic. She's only worn it once since I installed it. She was a bit concerned when she first put it on but it's very flexible, and didn't really get in the way. It worked fine and was completely unobstrusive when the helmet was closed.

I agree with Paragon's comment on the manual. It goes on at great length about setting up conversation groups but has only one paragraph about music playback and very little about interactions with two or more functions except a statement about which ones take priority.

Good luck!

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
ZOMG SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS -- now I can ask questions...

First -- full face helmet or modular?

Second -- which style mic attachment?

I run a full face HJC CL15, Using the wired mic at the momement. The SMH10r kit comes with both wired and boom mic. I was thinking about plugging in the boom mic and seeing if Galaxy pick up my voice better since I can position the mic nice and close to my mouth.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I really liked the snap on / off nature of the module. Didn't realize i could get the dual mount option.

My friend's helmet is a medium AGV (???) and the boom mic seems to tuck up underneath OK. However, I'd be concerned if i just got the single setup with the boom mic and found I couldn't position it well enough to use properly.

I'll post a pic of his setup. He's not at his desk at the moment.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
-I was checking out the SENA forum page. Theres some good info on there regards to using these things. Like how to use "vox" initiate an intercom conversation while sharing music and then after 20 seconds of silence it goes back to music sharing.

ALSO FOUND THIS:

http://www.sena.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/QSG_Sena_SMH10R_v5.0_en_20140610.pdf
Why this handy little thing isnt in the packaging is beyond me! But its a nice little cheat sheet!!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I really liked the snap on / off nature of the module. Didn't realize i could get the dual mount option.

I'm not sure which part you are referring to as snap on / off.

If the comment is about the mic, then yes, both versions (boom or wired) come with plugs that connect to the main module. Two of each were included in the two-pack that I bought.

If your comment is about snapping the module onto the helmet, well, it's not quite that simple. The main module is mounted on the outside of the helmet and they supply a hook&loop patch to do that. However, the wires that connect to it must pass through to the inside of the helmet where you plug the speakers, mic, battery to them - probably for better weather protection. But this make it unlikely / difficult to think of just snapping the module off of the helmet. It isn't permanent, but it is NOT simple or a 5 second effort to remove/replace it.

Chris

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I just realized this is the SHM10R -- hence me confusing questions about snapping it on and off.

My questions re: the boom vs the wired installation were for the SMH10-11.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm surprised you guys have a microphone. My Comm device doesn't come with one, the internal speakers works as my mic so no boom for me.