Show me your chicken strips

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My pics are from Sunday mornings on the Putty Rd.

(https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...2,150.9344183,13z/data=!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0?hl=en)

Couple of front and couple of rear (both sides).

Cheers,
Mac.

My personal opinion: you're pushing it much too hard on the street (and I'm not talking about your chicken strips, which as I mentioned above are mostly meaningless).

Do you do track days? If not, you really should consider it!

You've got a bit of a hot tear going on there.. try increasing your pressure slightly.. 1-2 psi. See how it looks after next ride. When you get the pressure right, the tire will heal itself.. those *scales* will go away.

You also have a bit of a rebound issue, but if you've got a stock rear shock, there's not much you can do about it.

Be safe out there :thumbup:

Last edited:

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
My personal opinion: you're pushing it much too hard on the street (and I'm not talking about your chicken strips, which as I mentioned above are mostly meaningless).
Do you do track days? If not, you really should consider it!

You've got a bit of a cold tear going on there.. try dropping your pressure slightly.. 1-2 psi. See how it looks after next ride. When you get the pressure right, the tire will heal itself.. those *scales* will go away.

You also have a bit of a rebound issue, but if you've got a stock rear shock, there's not much you can do about it.

Be safe out there :thumbup:

Thanks for your comments, just to be clear, that's not what they normally look like!

Those pics are taken after several sighting laps (at normal road speeds) to check road condition etc.
The lap we do has no houses, side streets or any other cross roads.

Once we are comfortable with the conditions we start to up the pace.
2-3 laps pushing it and that's what they look like.

Those tires are dead now, will be getting new ones when bike back together.

I am interested in your comments about cold tear/scales/rebound.
Could you reply (or PM me) and explain a bit more?

Cheers,
Mac.

p.s. never done a track day.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Cheers,
Mac.

Correction: that's a hot tear (sorry.. haven't had my coffee yet). I'll PM you.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have already had this conversation with him before and he doesn't see the point of trying to use body positioning.

In a case of a turn getting tighter out of nowhere, i have some lean angle in reserve, he would already be on the edge and screwed, didn't seem to bother him.

He was a high level cyclist, and did thousands of miles on a bicycle where you really can't lean off, maybe that's why it seems useless to him...

lol - Maybe he needs a New Lesson! :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your comments, just to be clear, that's not what they normally look like!

Those pics are taken after several sighting laps (at normal road speeds) to check road condition etc.
The lap we do has no houses, side streets or any other cross roads.

Once we are comfortable with the conditions we start to up the pace.
2-3 laps pushing it and that's what they look like.

Those tires are dead now, will be getting new ones when bike back together.

Cheers,
Mac.

Correction: that's a hot tear (sorry.. haven't had my coffee yet). I'll PM you.

I've posted this in another thread somewhere - but take a look. Its about tire tearing and suspension setup. Race Track Motorcycle Tyre Wear Guide - Types and Causes

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
lol - Maybe he needs a New Lesson! :thumbup:

Well to be fair, he is a very good rider, if he wanted to he could easily outride me and leave me behind, and i would be ready to bet that he could outride a lot of knee dragging guys, he just never moves his lower body.

There was a time when even Moto GP riders rode like that!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well to be fair, he is a very good rider, if he wanted to he could easily outride me and leave me behind, and i would be ready to bet that he could outride a lot of knee dragging guys, he just never moves his lower body.

There was a time when even Moto GP riders rode like that!

Entirely unnecessary to move lower body for street speeds, but it helps a great deal to move upper body into turns to reduce lean angle.

If you're sitting bolt upright and stay locked with the bike and go at a good clip, eventually you run out of clearance.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
????:confused:

You mean like " xxx Characters " ?

My hugger shows failure?? Ft axle bent? Bend the ft axle?

LOL.. I think Randy means your hugger is completely covering the tire, leaving no place to judge your chicken strip, or lack there of.

Andar

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my first bike in Jan, new tires arrived late May.
No track yet, just strictly road. Highway on ramps are fun.
Doing alright if I say so myself. I need to work on the left one though. Haven't touched my knee down yet so I need to fix my positioning.

08 fz6.

esa8avyb.jpg
ygyja2aj.jpg
ypu5apa9.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.. I think Randy means your hugger is completely covering the tire, leaving no place to judge your chicken strip, or lack there of.

As stated earlier, that was the best pic I had and you could see it at the rear of the hugger.

Here ya go, just took this pic 15 minutes ago;

(BTW, all street riding, the bikes never seen the track).

Last edited:

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Between you and I, I don't trust anybody else in this forum. I think they have all sanded and blow torched their rear tire.

Ha! I was thinking something similar - Here I think I am riding pretty aggressively - I guess not. Guess I am kind of a sissy.. lol - But most of my riding is rural highway and interstate..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Between you and I, I don't trust anybody else in this forum. I think they have all sanded and blow torched their rear tire.

On the left side of my bike, (stock suspension), I'l drag the kick stand before the peg feeler and have an actual flat spot on the bottom of my side stand.

It took me awhile, but I couldn't figure out what the "white stuff" was on one small maybe 1" around) spot on the centerstand? Eventually figured it out.

When I kick up the side stand, the remanants of the road (stuck under the side stand), comes loose and flings/stick onto the centerstand...