siphoning gas

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone ever siphoned gas out of their fz6? i've been running her around as much as possible this winter, but there is just no way i am going to be able to run through a full tank at once anytime soon. i've basically been burning a gallon or so a week and then filling her back up to the top, but i'd like to put a fresh tank in there and was thinking about siphoning the gas out and then replacing with fresh gas. would i hurt anything inside the tank if i were to (carefully) slide a tube in there? would this even be possible? or am i nuts :rolleyes:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
This would be a completely pointles sactivity. Don't even bother with it. You'll just make a mess, make yourself smell like gas, and waste your time.

If the bike is going to be parked for a while, just put some Stabil in the tank.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Isnt it better to keep it full to prevent rust in the tank and use stabil?

jlsmith411

Reaction score
Visit site
Um Idk maybe I'm a noob but I didn't think that gas could rust metal, especially if you get a full tank every month or so. Like I said though I just prolly a young newb... :)

DaveMc

Reaction score
Visit site
Condensation(water) from the air above the gas is what causes the rust. All depends on your experience, but I've never had problems with old gas or rusty tanks with equipment.

Sealers like Red Kote are a waste of time/$$$ IMHO as well

W

wrightme43

The tank is vented and with atmospheric pressure changes can draw in moisture laden air that can rust the inside of fuel tanks. I have always been told that it is best to keep all tanks full as much as possible.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
as much as possible this winter, but there is just no way i am going to be able to run through a full tank at once anytime soon. i've basically been burning a gallon or so a week

If you plan on keeping running the bike every week or so then you shouldn't have a problem. As you ride the fuel is being mixed, newer with older. Oldest fuel in the tank is going to be a month or two old, really can't see any point in draining the fuel.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fill my tank right to the top in October and I start riding it again in April. Nothing is added to it and I do not have any problems at all.

People worry too much about tis kind of thing.

Steve

RICK-WPB

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel injection is a wonderful thing. Keep the tank reasonably full and put in fuel stabilizer. 1oz of stabilizer per two gallons for operational use. I never had any problems using this practice.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
However the smart thing to do...

If you are planning on pulling the bike down over the winter to do any work at all. Run the gas down to almost empty that way you can remove and replace the tank easier.

I think I have a couple gallons in mine, then with an oz of stabil and she is good to go.

-bryan