Site upgrade Vote.

Should we upgrade to Vbulletin 4.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i dont mind the current look i like it in fact, but if the new look helps to improve the forum because it can handle more data and so faster, im all for it

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
As a moderator for two other large vB forums, and a member of many others, my vote is a strong, NO.

I have had two forums upgrade to vB4, then downgrade back to vB after a few months because of the problems. Compatibility, add-ons, coding, database problems, etc.

I would highly recommend sticking with vB3 for a bit, I can't recall when it is no longer supported? Then move to vB4 in the future, after it is a more complete candidate, with less problems.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever. I'm easy. I just appreciate the opportunity to be here, (and the great friends I have met here)!

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Kyle, can you expand on your answer? I am curious as to why it's a problem. (and keep in mind, I am NOT a software developer!) :D

Ha. I was referring to my near hatred for tech while at the same being a dev being the problem. I really know very little about the difference in the versions save for the fact that I don't want for new features now so why upgrade? I really don't care that much either way, though.

-typo'd by my thumbs on tiny touch screen buttons.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I still haven't made up my mind about the upgrade. I like the way this site work and looks like now. But I'm also open to changes, especially improvements.

There are a few things regarding the new version I'd like to know more about:

- Mobile friendliness. I think many of us are using the site through sell phone or tablet. The easier it is to use the site with these, the more logins we'll get.

- Speed and lightness. I believe that less is more. If there's a possibility to turn off the eye-candy when wanted, I'd take it. The graphichs are great with a 40M broadband but not with a 512 kbs mobile connection.

- Security. I don't know if we've been getting our share of hackers and what not, but improving security usually pays off eventually.

- Easy maintenance. This site is huge and great and important to us. We don't want Admin to get tired of running it for us just because it's too much work to do.​

Well, here's my 0,02. If these things work better in the upgraded version, then go for it.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the orange text on the Aussie Riders Forum!

Maybe I overlooked it, but I didn't see a "chat" button....i'm sure more than a few of you know I use it here a LOT.

I also noticed a few familiar names on the ARF while browsing...hi guys LoL

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
300 USD to upgrade the existing software per site.. Plus the many hours to ugrade the current database

I will be the same amount of work but has alot of better features and will be a bit easier on the server in regards to loads ect..

The surface stuff really doesn't matter. This forum looks good as is and has provided a good user experience to date.

The key for you is the back end. Moderation tools, data base management ect.. It has been a while since I've worked on that side of the fence but there was a lot of room for improvement last time I was. (about 2 years ago). The best judge of that will be yourself and your moderation staff. Sometimes $300 US is nothing, Sometimes it is a large sum.

Appearance/ function wise, from a user's point of view, the current site software is pretty good.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the orange text on the Aussie Riders Forum!

Maybe I overlooked it, but I didn't see a "chat" button....i'm sure more than a few of you know I use it here a LOT.

I also noticed a few familiar names on the ARF while browsing...hi guys LoL

I hated the color scheme of the Aussi site. That said, it is possible to allow users to choose from alternate color schemes in some systems so that each user is getting the site they want.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hated the color scheme of the Aussi site. That said, it is possible to allow users to choose from alternate color schemes in some systems so that each user is getting the site they want.

I don't like the orange either. We can change it to blue (option bottom right of the screen) but every time I change it, and log back in, it's orange again - can't seem to save it :rant:

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Voted No.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. ;)

But as others have said if upgrading to the latest versions make management of the site easier then go for it. (but it's gotta still work with Tapatalk - my only purchased smart phone app ;) )

One thing that's been on my mind is how many of the 14851 registered users are inactive? Does having so many members registered and inactive cause performance issues, even simply from a point of view of holding a subscriber record?

How many members only registered because they wanted to look at some pictures to resolve a single issue many years ago and that was the only time they logged in and now do not even have an FZ6?

To members get an email reminding them they have a membership ?

Is there ever a purge of members after a certain period of inactivity ?

Regards, Simon

franklin5-0

Reaction score
Visit site
How many members only registered because they wanted to look at some pictures to resolve a single issue many years ago and that was the only time they logged in and now do not even have an FZ6?

To members get an email reminding them they have a membership ?

Is there ever a purge of members after a certain period of inactivity ?

Regards, Simon

I come to the site daily but only log in ever so often. I actually did get an email reminding me of my membership after about 2 months

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes & Yes :D :thumbup: There was a clean out not that long ago of members who had not logged in for 2 years..

: thumbup:

I reckon as an admin, you should be able to set a universal period of inactivity that will produce a warning message - say 12 months, then another month, and its bye-bye charlie. If the site automatically checked once a month or something...