solar roadways

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right. I wonder how long they would need to be installed for to pay for themselves. No doubt it's ridiculously expensive, but after x amount of years they have we to be worth it in energy savings.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta chime in here.

I love the idea, but there are many practical concerns on the power end, and that's just a start. If deployed on a grand scale, the grid would be overloaded during the day, and underserved at night. There has to be some type of storage solution for all of this energy. Utilities are already fighting the widespread adoption of grid-tied PV, and they know this would be the last nail in the coffin for the centralized power distribution model. Something I am totally for, but not optimistic about how quickly this could be implemented with them standing in the way.

If the general public wants this technology to be adopted, there will have to be a huge groundswell of support (letters, petitions, marches, etc.). Again, with our legislature having been bought and paid for by said utility companies, I wonder how quickly we could be up and running.