Speedometer MPH vs. Actual MPH

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Boneman speaks the truth.

Word is born.

Frankly, I'd rather drop the 110 and change on something else. I don't need a speedometer to know that I just went faster than the jag in the mustang who just revved his engine at that light back there :)

BTW, what oil does everyone prefer?:sinister:

Scorp

Guys - I don't read every thread and I tried to search different terms. I certainly don't click on topics that are beaten like a dead horse or ones that don't interest me. I took the time to set up a GPS (non-motorcycle/non-car version), upload the data and average it out for specific sections along the route. I thought I'd offer up some data that might be useful to other riders and see if what I found was consistent with other's findings. I am surprised to find that some have speedos that read below the "actual" speed.

Being a relative newbie (1 year of riding) I still have ignorant questions. - I think I just figured out what a squid is, but I still need to confirm. Old timers might find these threads aggravating, but it's all new to riders like me. I wasn't even sure which category to post speedo stuff in.

If this topic has been killed should someone put a sticky up with relevant information?

110 for a healer? - that's a lot of cash for something that could be a lot more accurate to begin with. Yamaha can get the timing right and the RPMs right, why not the speed?

I'm in the Rotella camp. - Oil is a topic that I found plenty of forum threads on! I read those and found a lot of good information on the web in general. The question now is... how often to change? :spank:

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
My speedo read about 10% high. Purchased a speedo healer and it's pretty much spot on now with my GPS. But Now for every 100 miles my odo only captures 93 miles. But before the speedo healer it was doing about the opposite.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I am surprised to find that some have speedos that read below the "actual" speed.

I think you have miss read the answers, as I don't see anyone saying there speedo reads below actual speed.

If a standard speedo did read low then the manufacturer would be open to being sued.

DiasDePlaya

Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my first GPS I compared it with every speedometer that I found, cars and bikes, and I concluded that all the speedometer have an intentional error, some have a 5% to 10% error and others have a constant error between 5 to 10 km/h.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was pulled over by the Wa state patrol on the way to a AMA rally last week. I have tested my speedo by those drive by radar signs and have been 10% off all the time. MY speedo said I was doing 82 mph, he lazed me at 80 mph. I told him about the speedo error and was trying to compensate for it So maybe the faster you go the more accurate it is. All he did was give me a verbal warning. I said thank you very much and told him the last time I got a ticket was in 82 on my way to my 10 year high school reunion. He got a big smile on his face and said maybe it was time for another ticket. If all troppers was a nice of a guy as this one they would'nt have such a bad rap.

Doc

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
If you think I'm a hardass and scolding someone based on my post, you sure are a very sensitive guy. I definately appreciate his findings and having it posted, however there are plenty of similar threads that he could have just added onto.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of members who are not aware of the search function, as this feature is only available after you have become a member.

Simply just reminder.

Vegas, I wasn't commenting specifically on your comment, it was the three in a row jumping on the guy and especially Boneman's I thought was unnecessarily abrupt that I was reacting to.

Nothing wrong with "reminding" a new member about the search option. And I am not usually very sensitive to these things. But I just have low tolerance for people on forums, who are not moderators, who decide to take it upon themselve and be the post police.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Why do you have to jump on the guy for asking a question. So what, he didn't "search", big deal. If you don't want to answer him or be involved in this thread then just ignore it. Don't be an a hardass and think it's your job to scold someone. Just take a chill pill and move on. It's just a GD forum.

First off, no one 'jumped on him' and no one is being a 'hard ass' either...trust me on that one. The FACT is this topic has been discussed in great length several times before.

Second, yes the speedo readings are off. Dosen't matter how many times you comparie or what you compare it to, they will always be off.

Third, if the OP took issue with any of the replies here of felt he/she was getting jumped on then I'm sure he/she is quite capible of stating so and dosen't need you 'standing up for them'. OP dosen't seemed to be bothered by any of it, so I'm not sure why you are.

Fourth, everyone here is 'chill' and yes we all know it's a forum. Perhpas take some of your own advice and If you don't want to answer him or be involved in this thread then just ignore it...

Nuff said.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Now don't take this the wrong way or anything and let's all be friends on here.....but I thought boneman was kinda harsh, too. And by the way, my speedo reads about 10% faster than I'm actually going.

Again I ask, how exactly was I 'harsh'??

A - This topic has been discussed many times before.
B - It's a well known issue that the speedo is not accurate
C - Yes your Speedo and GPS will give you two different speeds (shocking)
D - Don't like it, fix it. If not, deal with it and move on.

So your choices are:

- Go with the FZ6 speedo and know your about 10% off
- Use your GPS as your speedo
- Get a Speedo Healer and correct it

Did I miss anything?

Apologies to Interactive3, Less, Nick J and anyone else who thought I was 'harsh'.

Next time I'll add some smilie faces and flowers to cheer it up a little....:thumbup:

Last edited:

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, no one 'jumped on him' and no one is being a 'hard ass' either...trust me on that one. The FACT is this topic has been discussed in great length several times before.

Second, yes the speedo readings are off. Dosen't matter how many times you comparie or what you compare it to, they will always be off.

Third, if the OP took issue with any of the replies here of felt he/she was getting jumped on then I'm sure he/she is quite capible of stating so and dosen't need you 'standing up for them'. OP dosen't seemed to be bothered by any of it, so I'm not sure why you are.

Fourth, everyone here is 'chill' and yes we all know it's a forum. Perhpas take some of your own advice and If you don't want to answer him or be involved in this thread then just ignore it...

Nuff said.

Boneman it's not your job to point out whether the thread has been rehashed 10 times or a hundred times. So your comments in and of themselves constitute "jumping on" the OP. There was just no need for you to point it out at all. Why do you feel obligated to do this? Are you a frustrated cop?

Do you feel because you are a moderator this gives you the right to do this type of thing. If so I question how you became a moderator on this forum. On every other motorcycle forum I go to, moderators encourage questions and may "suggest" that a new member try the search option. But they certainly don't vigourously point out how stupid the OP must be for bringing up a topic that you feel isn't worth opening a new thread on because it's been discussed X number of times before.

And your comment "and no one is being a 'hard ass' either...trust me on that one." is that some kind of threat that if we really wanted to see your hardass side you could show it. It's comments like that that will get you a rep of being a hardass. It's just that simple.

As far as the OP not being bothered, well I was bothered by your post as I read the OP's thread. I didn't ignore it, because I was interested in the topic, (even if it was the 100drth time I've read about it) so I felt entitled to comment. And obviously I was not the only one that felt your comment was unnecessary.

Now nuff has been said.

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Boneman it's not your job to point out whether the thread has been rehashed 10 times or a hundred times. So your comments in and of themselves constitute "jumping on" the OP. There was just no need for you to point it out at all. Why do you feel obligated to do this? Are you a frustrated cop?

Do you feel because you are a moderator this gives you the right to do this type of thing. If so I question how you became a moderator on this forum. On every other motorcycle forum I go to, moderators encourage questions and may "suggest" that a new member try the search option. But they certainly don't vigourously point out how stupid the OP must be for bringing up a topic that you feel isn't worth opening a new thread on because it's been discussed X number of times before.

And your comment "and no one is being a 'hard ass' either...trust me on that one." is that some kind of threat that if we really wanted to see your hardass side you could show it. It's comments like that that will get you a rep of being a hardass. It's just that simple.

As far as the OP not being bothered, well I was bothered by your post as I read the OP's thread. I didn't ignore it, because I was interested in the topic, (even if it was the 100drth time I've read about it) so I felt entitled to comment. And obviously I was not the only one that felt your comment was unnecessary.

Now nuff has been said.

Man you read A LOT into posts....

Never said it was my job mate, but as you pointed out, this is a "GD forum", so just like you are entitled to call me harsh, I'm entitled to state the obvious and to say that something has been posted many times before. I hardly think that's 'harsh'. I don't know why you are getting so bent out of shape over me stating that something has been posted many times before...IT HAS! So what? I'm mearly stating a fact.

No I'm not a frustrated cop. Now your just being stupid trying to make a point.

Where exactly did I "vigourously point out how stupid the OP must be for bringing up a topic"??? I never called the OP stupid, or any other names for that matter. YOU personally interpreted that from my post. The only one here calling people names is you.

No my comment about hard ass'd posts wasn't a threat to you. Again, you perceived it as that. It meant that there have been much, much worse things said on this forum and if you think what I said wahs harsh, then you might want to get the sand out of your vag.

If people want to view me as a hard ass then that's fine with me. Personally I'm not into hand holding and spoon feeding people who can't spend a few minutes to try and help themselves. This is nothing directed at the OP, just a general statement. I (and others) have spent countless hours documenting and posting information on here and helping others on a daily basis. How quickly guys like you seem to forget that when you get all uppity about ONE post. So when people can't spend a few minutes to check around first, yeah it sometimes gets to me. That's just how I am.

Do you feel because you are a moderator this gives you the right to do this type of thing. If so I question how you became a moderator on this forum

Wow.

Since you asked so nicely, let me tell you how I became an Administrator here. Dennis asked me back in 2007 to help him get this forum started and if I would help moderate some sections on it since I knew a lot about modding and had been an SBN FZ6 member for several years before that. Since then I've helped out the forum with various things over the years, created an informative FZ6 web site and asked Dennis and the staff if could become and Admin. They all voted yes. But then again, they know a lot more about me and how much I contribute and help out.

You take one post I made and make a mountain out of a mole hill about it and suddenly want to question why I'm an admin?!? Lucky for us you don't over react or anything :rolleyes:...... Stop being a little drama queen. I've gone back and re-read my post that so offened you and I still can't really see why you are so upset about it??? Sure it was a little satand offish, but I even told the guy how to fix the problem and threw in a joke about oil threads (which some got). Seriously, I don't know why you choose this post to get all worked up about. Less, if you have anything else you want to say about me this, PM me. Anymore here WILL get deleted.

I now apologize to the Op and others here for having this thread take a total slant off topic.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode with my GPS to work this morning to try to figure out what the actual MPH are. It was very unscientific, but here's what I found:

Speedo 35mph = 33.0 mph gps
Speedo 40mph = 36.5 mph gps
Speedo 65mph = 59.5 mph gps
Speedo 77mph = 70.0 mph gps

My speeds varied a few mph so I averaged things out.
Does this sound right?

Yes, that sounds right.

I bought a speedo healer to go with my 15T from sprocket. It records top speed with I think is cool. :squid:

The search tab didn't return relevant results after several attempts with different terms... but I've gone back and now realize that after doing a search there's an option to use google to search, which yields plenty of accurate results. I didn't realize searching was a two step process. :spank:

The search function rules. :thumbup: FWIW, I always to an "advanced search" and can usually find what I want, even if it's on a car forum that I rarely post on.

W

wrightme43

Boneman got his name because he wears the bones of people who dont use the search function in his beard.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Speedo is off. How much?? Its a mystery. Yours if probably different than mine. So is his and hers too. Mine at 66 indicated flashes the speed warning radar at 58. I run consistently 85 indicated on the interstate. I dont slow down for troopers or cops. Only ticket in over 30k miles was on the dragon for 56 in a 30, and I didnt look at the speedo then. The trooper told me he doesnt pull people for less than 15 over. He said that not licsense to speed but... and just trailed off.

I have been pulled several times running 69 indicated in a 55 and told to slow down. No ticket, no discussion of speed. Told to watch for deer, but no discussion of speed.

Cops dont just pull you for fun. A guy in gear, not acting a fool, with valid lic, insurance and registration? Thats not the guy they are looking for.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
After installing 15/48 sprockets, my speedo was off a lot.
At 60mph it was off by 18%. So I calibrated my speedohealer and all has been well.
Hit 135 verified today.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a speedo healer to go with my 15T from sprocket. It records top speed with I think is cool. :squid:

Me to Defy,I knew the speedo was out but never bothered with the healer till I got the 15t .I didn't want it to be out much more than it already was.

+1 on the top speed recorder,brings out the inner :squid:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, now I feel the need to comment on the comments.

First of all, if my comment offended anyone, that wasn't the intent. I definitely did not want to "jump on" anyone at all, considering I have been the OP on a multitude of dumb posts :)

I just thought Boneman's point was a good one, that if it really bothers someone, there is a method of correcting it, otherwise, spend the change on something that you want more.

And, for the record, I don't think Boneman intended to jump on anyone either, even if someone took it that way. I don't want to speak for anyone, because I can't, but I personally took it as a comment on the nature of how people worry about this, and whether or not it is even relevant. Like oil, there are differing opinions, biases, and experiences with how comfortable someone is with the speedo.

Its a forum, therefore delayed, often slanted, and text written, not spoken. We don't have the luxury of reading facial expression or tone/pitch during the delivery, so they can be misleading. Therefore, we can't jump on a guy for jumping on a guy :)

What we do have, thanks to all who originally created this site, is a place to share information, successes and failures, and collaborate with people who have the same interests as us. :cheer:

I love this place, and if I take something personally on here, I'll ask for clarification. Or I will realize its just a forum, and that it in no way reflects who I am as a person nor a member.

There, rant finished.

Back to the original poster and topic, I was pulled over on my old YZF 600 years ago many times because I did not have a M endorsement on my license (never had time before the accident). Any time they ran my plates, the lights came on. And yes, I had to go to court twice. Most cops were cool, and one even stated that even though I was going ten over, he understood that cycles have tricky speedos, and since I did not have traffic to pace with, he let me off. That's why, in my sole opinion, a speedohealer is not worth the money to me. If I win the lotto or become someone's benefactor, maybe that will change.

Man, these posts can get long in a hurry. My apologies to anyone who actually read this cr@&.

Scorpio

Last edited:

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
Where exactly did I "vigourously point out how stupid the OP must be for bringing up a topic"??? I never called the OP stupid, or any other names for that matter. YOU personally interpreted that from my post. The only one here calling people names is you.

I got this idea from your post. In re-reading it I now realize that where I thought you were calling him "stupid" for asking the question was not actually part of the post, but is your inimidible sig. line: "It's a shame that stupidity is not painful". You can see my obvious confusion.

But, If I over reacted then I apologize and also apologize for taking the thread off topic.

Last edited:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's why, in my sole opinion, a speedohealer is not worth the money to me. If I win the lotto or become someone's benefactor, maybe that will change.

Scorpio

Speedohealer is like $115 or the speedo tuner is $85 shipped. You need to win the lotto for that? :confused: