Sport tourer conversion underway! Risers and CalSci

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
There are also lots of other posts about the items below, but I figure it never hurts to see more reviews of various add-ons.

Today I added my first real farkles to my red '07 FZ6 (got it last week as new). I've wanted a middleweight sport-touring bike for a long time, and the FZ6 seemed like a perfect bike for this purpose. I never ride 2-up, and I wanted something that handled and stopped better than my cruiser, and something that was light and good on gas. From the start I've been in love with the motor, but the wind on my head and shoulders was a bit much for me (very smooth flow, but it got tiring after 100 miles - yes, I'm weak). I also found the bars to be a bit low and forward for my taste, and this caused me some immediate pain and made me grip the bars too tight. I'm about 5' 10", but I'm quite short from the waist up for that height, which is what counts when considering windshields and bars.

This morning I got my SW-Motech risers/bar backs from Twisted Throttle AND my new 9.5" CalSci windshield. There's nothing more exciting than a UPS and DHL truck parked in your driveway and unloading motorcycle goodies at the same time! I should have snapped a pic of that.

I tackled the risers first. Reviews on here and on 'the other site' are mixed when it comes to installation. I had no problems at all - only the front brake line was a bit snug, so I cut the zip tie on the fork to relieve some of the pressure. The whole install took only 10 minutes to complete. I opted to use the top clamps that come with the risers so I'll have more space on the bar to install various gadgets (I already have a RAM mount on the bike, but I'd like to add a GPS eventually). Quality of the parts is excellent - and it should be for the price! (>$100)

Next was the windshield. This was a bit more 'fun' to install, but it had nothing to do with the CalSci parts. My stock shield was scratched when I bought the bike, so the dealer swapped it for a new screen. Whatever tec touched the bike to replace the windshield decided to stip FOUR of the six cheap plastic screws when putting on the replacement stock shield. Nothing a few careful turns with a set of pliers couldn't fix, but those plastic screws are history. Thankfully, CalSci includes some good screws with their windshield...And then there's the windshield itself. this thing is HIGH QUALITY folks! I know some folks don't like the look, and I was a bit concerned myself, but once it's on the bike I think it actually think it makes it look like a legitimate sport tourer. The fit was very good and the optics are fantastic. The inclusion of a cloth and cleaner with the windshield were also a nice touch. It's also worth mentioning that CalSci shipped the windshield immediately (I ordered it on Sunday and received it 5 days later - quite a feat considering the distance it traveled and the fact that I opted for the cheapest shipping option).

My quick test ride confirmed that the windshield was a great purchase. No more wind on my shoulders. Nice. The wind now hits my just above the visor on my helmet, so there is still lots of wind noise. But it's a motorcycle, not a car, so that's fine. The risers seemed to make less of a difference, although my arms are no longer tired, so I guess they're working. I'm not sure how much of the improvement came from the barbacks vs. the windshield, but I'm keeping both.

Frame sliders are on the way. I'll be a bit less nervous once they're on the bike! Other future additions will include a set of side cases and a tank bag when I can afford them. So far I like the stock seat, so it'll stay. The other thing I did today was hook up a battery tender cable and ran it back under the seat.

Last edited:

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you get the "Silver" or the black Mo-Techs?
The silver isn't a great match, so I decided on the black instead!:thumbup:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I got Silver. You're right, it's got a great match, but at least it's not a shiny silver. Black looks pretty cool.