Sprint1050st vs K1200s vs CBR1100XX

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahoy!

I've recently come in to some money, and I'm considering a purchase. I love my FZ6. It's done me really well. I've worked her hard, and she's proves herself time and time again. She'll be staying as a workhorse...... BUT: I want something a little special for sunny days only, and a little more competent two up.

The price range has come down to the three bikes listed above.

Triumph Sprint 1050st

Love the styling. Love the noise. Would be nice to buy British (I know, I know.....), and from friends I'm hearing all good things. I could go for a 24k miles bike, or a 35k miles bike and have change for the insurance/tax/aditionals.

Honda CB1100XX (Super Blackbird)

Styling is a bit bland. Low on "gizmos". But I'm lead to believe solid and dependable and does everything I'm looking for.

BMW K1200s

A bit of an odd ball. Looks good (a bit subjective). Loads of gizmos. Should be good for what I want, at least on paper. A little the age of what I can afford might mean gremlins start appearing in those gizmos.

Does anyone have much experience of any of these? I'm in no rush to buy so there's plenty time for pondering.

Thanks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at these choices I would pick a Ducati ST3. Has more character, as much torque as the triumph and much better handling wise. The cbr1100x would be my choice from your options - a blast on the open road, reliable and good two up. I got a vfr800 and it clicks all the boxes. Much more refined than my fz6 was

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
For what my opinion is worth owning the older 955 ST I'd definitely go with the Tri. It's more modern, probably gets better mileage, weighs less, parts would be cheaper especially in your neck of the woods. And most importantly it's cooler, no?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you guys think to VFR 800 vtec? I managed to poke my head round the door of a couple local bike shops yesterday, and there's one in being prepped at about £3800 (so it leaves me change for insurance).

I KNOW VFRs are supposed to be bullet proof. I KNOW they're supposed to be a good ride. But I just don't feel myself falling in love with it. Does the V4 make up it for it not being a 1000cc? If it's still there in three weeks time, I might go give it a test ride.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
The best advice is to ride as many as you can and pick the one that stirs your soul since you stated this will be something special for you.

With that said, I will comment on the bikes listed.

Sprint
I owned a Triumph Tiger 1050 which I believe is the same engine as the Sprint. I also test rode a Sprint, but much preferred the ergos of the Tiger so went that route. The Tiger fit me perfectly and I even completed a 940 mile day on it once. The engine was a blast as it had power everywhere, but was a little too linear for my taste. I guess I have learned to enjoy the Jeckll and Hyde personality of the FZ6. Even with that said, I sold it after 6 months and 4400 miles primarily due to reliability issues. Every month I had something go wrong with the bike. It was covered under warranty, but still very annoying and I lost my appetite. The suspension was also odd as I never felt truly connected to the road.

Blackbird - never ridden
I have never owned, but they do have a cult following from what I have read online and appear to be very reliable.

K1200 - never ridden
Some love, some hate, but there do seem to be reliability issues and/or high maintenance costs that many have voiced.

VFR - never ridden
Which one the 1200 or 800? Most prefer the 800, but there are some loyal followers of the 1200. Some love and hate the VTEC and would recommend riding.

Some other suggestions in the same ballpark: r1200r, Versys 1000 or Ninja 1000, FJR, FJ09,

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine moved from a 1050st to the tiger and can confirm that the engine is exactly same. He only moved due to knee trouble. Noted about reliability, although that's the first I've heard of any major issues.

The VFR would be the 800. I'm not falling in love with the styling, but a ride could convince me. The 1200 is just plain fugly, no arguments, lol.

The other suggestions: the only ones I'd discount are the Versys and the FJ09. Not a fan of adventure styling. The R1200 series, I've heard that there can be some reliability issues. Single plate dry clutch that has to split the bike in half to change (would mean a style change for my riding, but if power is smoother than the FZ6, wouldn't be an issue) and apparently there's oil pressure issues on corners that lead to the upper most cylinder (as you lean) to be starved of oil. I've not read that anywhere, but have heard it down the grapevine at various gatherings. I do like the R1200R, but much prefer the R1200S. There's one not too far away, but I would need to save another £1200 for it. Maybe if I've not bought anything by September and it's still there. I'm not sure about the FJR. A few have come up in my price range, but a little high milage, and I'm not sold on the style.

Thanks for the input guys, I really need to bounce some ideas around, it's very useful.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I belong to several FJR forums and I can say, most bikes, if maintained (the same as the FZ) will easily go 125,000 miles and well over 200,000 miles.

If the bike was maintained, I wouldn't hesitate buying a 40,000 mile used bike. No chain to screw with either...

With the new 6 speed, 2016 model, a whole bunch of 5 speeds (which is plently) older bikes are going for VERY REASONABLE prices.

When I had mine, I never rode with the side cases. Besides looking cleaner, you could feel the weight of the side cases, especially
if in the twisties..

Something I would strongly suggest before buying anything, is sign up to some forums. Of course they'll be leaned toward that particular bike BUT, just like here, there's Technical sections that'll show real life issues from real riders..

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Sprint 1050. Great torgue compared to FZ6. Great sound too. I have upgraded rear suspension but stock front. My hubby put stiffer springs and heavy fork oil and the front and made a huge difference. I have 2 inch risers on the clipons which makes it much more comfortable. I've ridden 450+ miles in a day comfortably. It has a huge tank too. I haven't had any issues with the bike. It has 23K miles on it now. I rode my friends TIger. It was a 800 not 1050. I didn't think the riding position was very comfortable. Too upright. Handlebars are spread way out.

My hubby has a 2005 VFR800. He loves it. Great for touring. He keeps up with all our friends on sportbikes too. He let me ride it once when I was looking at a BMW 800GT. He wanted me to be able to compare it to the another 800 since I was use to the FZ6. THe VTEC is a kick. Hit 7K rpm and it takes off like a rocket - hold on. He replaced the clipons with a straight bar. He said it was much more comfortable.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've arranged to visit a mate on the first of next month back down in Portsmouth as he's got a 1050st ABS for sale. I was a little sceptical about the mileage (40,000) and I need some specific pictures (apparently it's had a minor topple over on the righthand side) before I fully decide, but it's £500 cheaper than anything else. The plan is, spend the £500 on some hard case luggage, put some new rubber on then have the scratches covered by hydrodipping or spray, and have the luggage done to match.

eec7c1b777866a2c7affcd692898ae88.jpg

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've bought it! She's a little tatty, and I haggled the price to reflect that, down to £2700. She needs a new hugger, a little tidy up round the back end, a little tab of fibre glass on a fairing panel and a damn good scrub! Mechanically, she's absolutely spot on. A little high milage at 39,500 but solid. She rides really well.

0c9a14e7f63132d48d466249c775b36d.jpg

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I've bought it! She's a little tatty, and I haggled the price to reflect that, down to £2700. She needs a new hugger, a little tidy up round the back end, a little tab of fibre glass on a fairing panel and a damn good scrub! Mechanically, she's absolutely spot on. A little high milage at 39,500 but solid. She rides really well.

0c9a14e7f63132d48d466249c775b36d.jpg

Looks nice! I'm anxious to hear what you think of your Sprint.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe how comfortable it is. I sat on one a couple of years ago, and hated the seating position. But as soon as you get moving, it just makes sense. I'm really happy with the sound of it. Still debating an after market can, but it doesn't cry out (quietly) for one like the FZ6 does. I've only taken it for a short spin to run it through the gearbox (paperwork problems, so had to avoid cameras) but the it really pulls. Residential streets where I'd be screaming in 2nd or purring in 3rd on the FZ6 were just chugging along in 1st.

My only downside is moving her around without power, or at low speed, she's heavy.

I can't wait to give her a good scrub and some mechanic time, then go and blow some cobwebs out of it.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Smashed in a big hour and a half loop. She's beautiful! So much TORQUE! It just keeps pulling all the way round the tacho. Really comfy, really easy to ride, it just chews up the miles and spits them effortlessly out the back with a burble and a growl and a nice loud exhaust grumble on over run. Just need to sort a few cosmetic issues out over winter and she'll be the Bell of the Ball next season.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Smashed in a big hour and a half loop. She's beautiful! So much TORQUE! It just keeps pulling all the way round the tacho. Really comfy, really easy to ride, it just chews up the miles and spits them effortlessly out the back with a burble and a growl and a nice loud exhaust grumble on over run. Just need to sort a few cosmetic issues out over winter and she'll be the Bell of the Ball next season.

I agree - He's a lot of fun. Don't tell my hubby, but I occasionally (accidentally) start out in 6th gear. Doesn't even bog down. Just pulls away with a nice rumble. I have the stock exhaust and love it. At 30K miles we had the valves checked and they were spot on. No adjustment needed. Pretty good I thought. My top speed, so far, is 138mph. Maybe break that on our ride to Alberta, Canada in a couple weeks.

I actually took my Sprint to the track. While it is heavier than most of the bikes there, I still had a respectable showing, I think. I passed R6's & GXRS on the straight every time. Of course they caught me in the corners, my skill set just isn't there yet (this is my 5th season riding).
IMG_1160.jpg

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I think, speed wise, gear change for gear change, it's not that dissimilar to the FZ6. It's only the time between gear changes that makes the difference in the first half of the box. Once you're up in 4-5-6 territory, that's when the torque really takes over. One thing I have definitely noticed, is that on the FZ6, the difference from half throttle to fully open, is negligible. On the Strumpet every touch of throttle, all the way round the grip gives you a hoofing great kick up the touche! Lol.

Cornering is different. My FZ6 has tall, wide renthals on, which makes it nice and stable but turning always feels slightly more emotional and energetic. Even on my sketchiest local corner the ST just rolled in with a lovely rumble on the engine brake. But it's really twitchy on straights and at slow speeds.

Which reminds me, the engine brake! OMG! If you get the corner speed wrong on the FZ and are in the wrong gear (4-5-6), nothing happens when you shut off and you have to try and brake on the corner. The st practically drops anchor in any gear, even 6, and you just throttle control any corner at any time.

I reckon the FZ6 can keep up with the st any day (except maybe in a full top end test) but you just have to work so hard. I can see my riding getting very lazy with the Triumph.

Last edited:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I think, speed wise, gear change for gear change, it's not that dissimilar to the FZ6. It's only the time between gear changes that makes the difference in the first half of the box. Once you're up in 4-5-6 territory, that's when the torque really takes over. One thing I have definitely noticed, is that on the FZ6, the difference from half throttle to fully open, is negligible. On the Strumpet every touch of throttle, all the way round the grip gives you a hoofing great kick up the touche! Lol.

Cornering is different. My FZ6 has tall, wide renthals on, which makes it nice and stable but turning always feels slightly more emotional and energetic. Even on my sketchiest local corner the ST just rolled in with a lovely rumble on the engine brake. But it's really twitchy on straights and at slow speeds.

Which reminds me, the engine brake! OMG! If you get the corner speed wrong on the FZ and are in the wrong gear (4-5-6), nothing happens when you shut off and you have to try and brake on the corner. The st practically drops anchor in any gear, even 6, and you just throttle control any corner at any time.

I reckon the FZ6 can keep up with the st any day (except maybe in a full top end test) but you just have to work so hard. I can see my riding getting very lazy with the Triumph.

When my hubby's on his VFR800 and I'm on the strumpet (love that), when we pass slower cars, most times I have to brake or I will pass him too, without shifting down. lol I've come into to corners too hot a few times and just looked through the corner and the bike just follows along. Where I noticed the most difference between Sprint and my FZ6 was in 15mph right-hand tight corners going up hill. I'd downshift to 2nd gear in the FZ6 and almost stall it going through the corner. Not in my Sprint.
But in the reverse. The FZ6 has better manners at slow speeds than the ST. I find 2nd gear is better for slow speed riding on the ST. First gear is too jerky.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=19668]Monica A[/MENTION] how are your chrome fairing trims held on? Mine are rattling lose at the rear end and need reattaching. I'm assuming it's some kind of 3M adhesive pad.