Sproket change, oil change, nice weather, great day!

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
It actually snowed here in October, I thought my season was over. Then it started to warm up again. I had the bike in hibernation but I decided I would bring it out of retirement, change the front sproket (-1), change the oil which I planned to do in the spring, and take it out. Great idea!

I bought my bike used with 3K miles on it last year, the dealer told me they did a service and it had new tires so I thought nothing of it. When changing the oil for the first time the other day I came to the conclusion that it was also the first time for the bike. The filter was a Yamaha factory original and my oil was black! No metal shavings that I noticed but still, I have around 6500 miles on it. The sproket was very easy, but if you have a belly pan take it off before you open the drain plug, a standard oil drain pan won't fit where you need it and I had a big spill luckily on a couple layers of cardboard and not my garage floor.

It felt totally different when I took it out yesterday, much smoother, sounded better, and the butt dyno says the sproket is working. I got some lift when clutchless shifting into second and riding around town it's great. The only issue is the noise, with 2bros and a the sproket change it's tough to stay out of the loud powerband so it's a double edged sword, but definitely worth it. Like everyone else says the sproket change is the best bang for the buck mod you can do. It's dead simple to install and feels like it should have come this way from the factory.

After yesterday I realize I'll be bundling up and staying out in the cold (I hate the cold) to keep riding longer. I've barely been able to ride this season due to my schedule but I'm making the time now. :thumbup:

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
How much does the -1 front sprocket mod change your factory speedometer settings?

My guess is a significant amount. Or I was just going really fast. 0-100mph seemed absurdly quick, I would say I was probably only doing 85.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I've been contemplating the -1/ +2 sprocket mod, and I just wondered how many mph this will skew the speedo.

I know that motorcycle speedometers normally read several mph higher than the actual ground speed, and the sprocket mod will likely compound that issue.

I suppose a PC III would be the next logical mod to correct the speedo variance.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There have been a few posts on the front sprocket coming loose and stripping all the threads on the output shaft. Please be sure to also use some locktite on the cleaned (shaft and nut) threads in addition to the factory lock washer.

PClll won't correct speedo error.

Have fun out there!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
every now and then i think about doing this mod. two things stop me. i like to take longer trips and often end up on the interstate and like being in the lower rpm's for extended periods. also, i would want to get a speedo healer. that's $115.00 on top of the sprocket. i already hate that i don't know my real speed. it'd drive me crazy to change the sprockets and be that far off.

maybe one day. :rolleyes:

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
There have been a few posts on the front sprocket coming loose and stripping all the threads on the output shaft. Please be sure to also use some locktite on the cleaned (shaft and nut) threads in addition to the factory lock washer.

PClll won't correct speedo error.

Have fun out there!

Ouch, what do you think would happen if that would occur at speed? Are we talking a locked rear wheel?