starting issues after naked mod

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
I just completed assembly of a Buell headlight mod after rear-ending someone at low speed, effectively destroying the front end. Its been roughly a month since the collision with no starts and roughly 2 weeks of that month with the speedo and its harness out. After the collision the bike ran and acted perfectly as if nothing happened. This evening after I put everything together, I go to turn the key and start it but the fuel pump didnt prime and the start button doesnt do anything. The odd part is the speedo does the normal bootup and the turn signals up front turn on like normal. I wondered if the system wont start if the battery reaches a set voltage but I have no jumper cables and no multimeter. I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting but I think my $100 amazon gift card may be exchanged for a nice Fluke really soon.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Very well could be a dead battery. It may have enough voltage to show the speedo info and to light up the turn signals, but not enough to prime the fuel pump and attempt a start. You could always start my checking fuses and making sure there aren't any that have blown.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Should you jump it off a car battery, make sure the car is NOT RUNNING..

You can also bring the battery to any automotive parts store/walmart and get it tested as well as load test it. Its usually free of charge...

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Should you jump it off a car battery, make sure the car is NOT RUNNING..

You can also bring the battery to any automotive parts store/walmart and get it tested as well as load test it. Its usually free of charge...

Yeah I remember my dad telling me about the car not running when he bought his first BMW GS. Im going to buy a multimeter, battery tender, and jumper cables soon since I should have all three of those things anyway. I wont be able to work on the bike today since I will be at work all day (literally) but tomorrow Ill give the fuses a gander.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting but I think my $100 amazon gift card may be exchanged for a nice Fluke really soon.

I don't think you need a Fluke DVM. You'll probably be good with a much cheaper and useful DVM. You'll save enough to get a new battery out of the deal....Good luck!

Double check that kill switch and associated wires are working.

I'm in Mira Mesa. Want a helper? I have DVM and solid electronic, including automotive electric background.