Street fghter conversion

sanchez1391

Reaction score
Visit site
About a week ago, I hit gravel on my Fz6 on a turn and went into a ditch. I broke my hand, and my whole stock front fairing is gone, along with the right headlight, right mirror, and right turn signal. I went to the Yamaha dealer and the fairing alone is 550 dollars. I was wondering if maybe I should just do a streetfighter/ naked conversion to the bike now instead of throwing out that kind of money for the stock fairing. There were fairings on ebay to make the conversion going for 100 dollars or less. Should I attempt this conversion or would I be better off spending the money on a whole new fairing?

thanks,
Dan

coffebean

student on wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't mind a little extra wind while driving, I would certainly go for the Naked conversion. Check out what everybody's done in the Streetfighter section on this forum.
Good ideas there, even poor-man's solutions ;-)

Good luck and please don't hesitate to show pic's/write-ups of the conversion!

How's the rest of your bike? Have you got frame sliders and did they help??

Last edited:

sanchez1391

Reaction score
Visit site
Coffebean, ,
thanks for the response man yeah I do have the frame sliders, It saved ALOT of the bike, theres a bunch of scratches on the clear coat, but I went out and bought Nu-Finish scratch doctor today and it seemed to have worked on alot of the smaller scratches. The right frame slider is bent back a little. I'm so pissed, I just bought the bike three weeks ago with not a scratch on it. So is the streetfighter conversion gonna be pretty hard to do? I should just be able to buy the headlight and mount it correct?

thanks again

btw what do you have on yours for your conversion, looks sick bro

coffebean

student on wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
Coffebean, ,
thanks for the response man yeah I do have the frame sliders, It saved ALOT of the bike, theres a bunch of scratches on the clear coat, but I went out and bought Nu-Finish scratch doctor today and it seemed to have worked on alot of the smaller scratches. The right frame slider is bent back a little. I'm so pissed, I just bought the bike three weeks ago with not a scratch on it. So is the streetfighter conversion gonna be pretty hard to do? I should just be able to buy the headlight and mount it correct?

thanks again

btw what do you have on yours for your conversion, looks sick bro

Good to hear about the frame sliders saving your engine.

For conversion question, it's best to ask somebody else. As a matter of fact, Yamaha did that for me: it's an official Yamaha FZ6-N! Only added bellypan, windscreen and a fender eliminator.

Thanks for sharing your story and good luck :thumbup:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
1) did you have proper insurance? have them pay for the repairs! That's what you pay them for.

2) if you screwed up and did not get full coverage, then going naked may be a bit cheaper, even though you could probably find a used front cowl/headlight for $200-300 on here...

3) Spend some time in the streetfighter section and check the stickies... lots of answers to your questions there.

Good luck.

sanchez1391

Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex: No I didn't have the proper insurance, I screwed up and was only on liability. I saw a headlight I really liked...It was called the KMP K5. Where can I get one? I'd throw down some cash for that...it looks sick.