Tank protection

Gus

Reaction score
Visit site
Would Tankslapper work fine for commuting in the rain? Will it start to peel after time...? Would the normal product work or should I get the 3M adhesive. What would be another good product to protect the sides and front? Thanks Gus

washroad

Reaction score
Visit site
I used 20 mil clear Lamin-X for my tank top and sides as well as over the headlamp covers for stone protection....it's been on for 4 years now and looks like it did the day I put it on.

Lamin-x Protective Films - Protect with Style

Went to the link and poked around. What product did you end up using? Some sheets of the 20ml or a 4" roll. I saw the 12" roll was like a buck and a quarter. I just picked mine up and will need something, Like Gus here in Washington

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Went to the link and poked around. What product did you end up using? Some sheets of the 20ml or a 4" roll. I saw the 12" roll was like a buck and a quarter. I just picked mine up and will need something, Like Gus here in Washington

I went in with a couple local rider friends on a bulk 20 mil roll so it only cost each of us maybe $20 for tank, front edge of fairings and headlamps. Well worth it. The Lamin-X holds up much better than Tank Slappers...I have a buddy with Tank slappers who switched to Lamin-X once he saw mine.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to add some grip to my tank and my tank was also getting hazy looking where I'd grip with my legs when hanging or gripping during braking so I tried the Snake Skins by Techspec. I had seen this material on a BMW and got to feel it. I polished off the hazy stuff and ordered the Snake Skin and it's really great stuff! Great grip and protection. Tried it out Saturday and love it!

I don't have the FZ6 anymore I have a Suzuki but here's a FZ6 with the stuff.
62-0083-SS_big.jpg

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had tank slapper on since i have owned my bike.. i replaced it last year as it was starting to look a little scratched (the plastic not the paint).. i would guess that tank slapper would need to be replaced like every 5 years (depeneding on habits)...

Gus

Reaction score
Visit site
I went in with a couple local rider friends on a bulk 20 mil roll so it only cost each of us maybe $20 for tank, front edge of fairings and headlamps. Well worth it. The Lamin-X holds up much better than Tank Slappers...I have a buddy with Tank slappers who switched to Lamin-X once he saw mine.

Was it hard to install...clear like tankslapper with just the edges showing? Thanks Gus

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Was it hard to install...clear like tankslapper with just the edges showing? Thanks Gus

Yes it's just a clear film but Lamin-X is a good bit thicker than Tank slappers and therefor more durable. You simply tape some paper over the tank where you want the Lamin-X and cut out the paper into a template the correct shape, trace to the lamin-X and then install is just like applying tint...wet the area and the film and carefully squeegee it on. Once it cures you don't see anything but a thin line at the edges. You won't be able to cover the entire tank because any film will wrinkle if you try to go around sharp curves but you can easily apply it to the top of the tank to prevent tank bag wear and the sides of the tank to prevent knee wear and provide knee grip! It's invaluable to cover your headlight lenses with Lamin-X...it prevents pitting and stones from cracking the lenses on the highway.